• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Round 2: (2) Pittsburgh v. (1) Washington

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find a place on the end of the bench for horford. Holy shit he has been horrible

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good hockey play by Letang:

I'm joking of course; pretty clear violation of Rule 48. Not quite as bad as Orpik, but I would be a hypocrite if I complained about him getting a game. And that would be a major benefit for the Caps.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlucky 1st for the Caps.

Letang should have gotten a 5 min major at minimum. If Orpik took 3 games, he should take 1.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are these guys just stupid? You can't fucking hit people in the head. Is it that hard? And I mean Orpik every bit as much as Letang. It's a good thing these guys can play hockey, 'cause they're obviously too stupid to do anything else.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if it's more than one, but it's a dumb hit. It doesn't qualify as "late" for DoPS, question will be where contact occurs.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm joking of course; pretty clear violation of Rule 48. Not quite as bad as Orpik, but I would be a hypocrite if I complained about him getting a game. And that would be a major benefit for the Caps.

I think Letang gets a game or two for that hit as well.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are these guys just stupid? You can't fucking hit people in the head. Is it that hard? And I mean Orpik every bit as much as Letang. It's a good thing these guys can play hockey, 'cause they're obviously too stupid to do anything else.

I think they grew up in a league watching Scott Stevens, and now play in a league that doesn't have the backbone to really take it out of the game.

If hits like those regularly got 5+ games (regardless of injury) with increasing lengths, players would figure it out really quick.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they grew up in a league watching Scott Stevens, and now play in a league that doesn't have the backbone to really take it out of the game.

If hits like those regularly got 5+ games (regardless of injury) with increasing lengths, players would figure it out really quick.

The regardless of injury part is the key. You can't be reactive (to an injury) if you want to get rid of those hits.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with everything you said.

It also goes to show (though I don't know that Letang was trying to do this here) that the idea of "players policing the game themselves" is ill-conceived. They are awful at it, and have always been awful at it, and will always be awful at it. Baseball is the only other major sport that has this theory, and they're just as bad at it. These guys are good at sports. Their decision making process often leaves much to be desired, though, and they obviously have no concern over their fellow players' well-being.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The regardless of injury part is the key. You can't be reactive (to an injury) if you want to get rid of those hits.

Injury probably added two games to Orpiks suspension, honestly. Then Sheary wasn't hurt by the knee and we got a fine. If Johansson comes back, I'd predict a fine.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Head shots should be treated like PED suspensions in MLB - three strikes and you're out. First infraction is half a season suspension plus any playoffs; second is full season plus any playoffs and third is lifetime. That will get the players to shape up.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Head shots should be treated like PED suspensions in MLB - three strikes and you're out. First infraction is half a season suspension plus any playoffs; second is full season plus any playoffs and third is lifetime. That will get the players to shape up.

I think that might be a little severe. I would prefer a 5 game for first, 10 game for second and then increments of 10 thereafter. Also, on the third and going forward, an automatic 5 games, etc into the playoffs regardless of when it happens in the season.