• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Room on the Roster by position

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So the 49ers have 8 picks in the first 6 rounds (the 7th rounders have little chance of making the team). They're likely to get at least 1 more as a comp' pick, so that makes 9. It'd be interesting to see how much room there is on the roster for more players by position. Do you agree with these assessments, or did I miss something?

WR: (2) There's probably only room for 2 more WR. The Niners currently have 4. I'd expect one of those spots to be filled with a high pick. The 2nd guy should be a KR IMO.

RB: (0) I don't think there's room for even 1 more guy unless they trade Lamichael James or cut / trade Gore. With Lattimore coming back it's all full; he'll probably replace Dixon. I actually hope they keep James around 'cause he has very little trade value.

DL: (1) Last year the Niners kept... what... 8 DL? 3 starters, Dial, TJE, Dobbs & Tank. Ian William was never really replaced. Dobbs & TJE aren't locks to make the team IMO. Neither is Dial IMO. The 3 starters, Ian / Dorsey & Tank makes 5. That means there's probably 3 spots between Dial, TJE, Dobbs, Lawrence Okoye & the draft. I think adding 1 DL is most likely, but I could see 'em adding 2 & letting the rest fight for 1 spot.

CB: (4) Last year they kept... what... 6 CBs? I'd expect 'em to keep 4 safeties. There's Cully & Brock right now.

S: (1) Unless they cut Dahl there's only room for 1 more guy, and he should probably be the starter. It's probably going to be Whitner, :mad2: but I can hold out hope it's someone else. :hope:

OL: (1) or (2) 4 backups will probably make the roster. Looney's 1, then there's Ryan Serymour & Carter Bykowski. Will either make the team?

TE: (0) Unless a guy they like really falls I don't see 'em adding a TE.

QB: (1) Probably in the draft in the later rounds?

LB: (1) at most. Probably 0.

So that's a total of 10 to 12 spots open on the roster. At least 2, maybe 3 of those spots will probably be filled by FA DBs. It doesn't look like there's room to add anyone else besides DBs & a KR in FA unless they want Kilgore to still be a backup (I'm hoping David Baas gets cut). It also looks like all if not most of those 7th rounders should be traded for future picks and / or to move up a bit. Especially if the Niners are granted more than just 1 comp' pick for Goldson.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the 49ers have 8 picks in the first 6 rounds (the 7th rounders have little chance of making the team). They're likely to get at least 1 more as a comp' pick, so that makes 9. It'd be interesting to see how much room there is on the roster for more players by position. Do you agree with these assessments, or did I miss something?

WR: (2) There's probably only room for 2 more WR. The Niners currently have 4. I'd expect one of those spots to be filled with a high pick. The 2nd guy should be a KR IMO.

RB: (0) I don't think there's room for even 1 more guy unless they trade Lamichael James or cut / trade Gore. With Lattimore coming back it's all full; he'll probably replace Dixon. I actually hope they keep James around 'cause he has very little trade value.

DL: (1) Last year the Niners kept... what... 8 DL? 3 starters, Dial, TJE, Dobbs & Tank. Ian William was never really replaced. Dobbs & TJE aren't locks to make the team IMO. Neither is Dial IMO. The 3 starters, Ian / Dorsey & Tank makes 5. That means there's probably 3 spots between Dial, TJE, Dobbs, Lawrence Okoye & the draft. I think adding 1 DL is most likely, but I could see 'em adding 2 & letting the rest fight for 1 spot.

CB: (4) Last year they kept... what... 6 CBs? I'd expect 'em to keep 4 safeties. There's Cully & Brock right now.

S: (1) Unless they cut Dahl there's only room for 1 more guy, and he should probably be the starter. It's probably going to be Whitner, :mad2: but I can hold out hope it's someone else. :hope:

OL: (1) or (2) 4 backups will probably make the roster. Looney's 1, then there's Ryan Serymour & Carter Bykowski. Will either make the team?

TE: (0) Unless a guy they like really falls I don't see 'em adding a TE.

QB: (1) Probably in the draft in the later rounds?

LB: (1) at most. Probably 0.

So that's a total of 10 to 12 spots open on the roster. At least 2, maybe 3 of those spots will probably be filled by FA DBs. It doesn't look like there's room to add anyone else besides DBs & a KR in FA unless they want Kilgore to still be a backup (I'm hoping David Baas gets cut). It also looks like all if not most of those 7th rounders should be traded for future picks and / or to move up a bit. Especially if the Niners are granted more than just 1 comp' pick for Goldson.

1st Bold: Baldwin isn't a lock to make the team so their will probably be 3 WRs added with 1 drafted early and 3 fighting for the last 2 spots.

2nd Bold: You forgot about Morris which the team likes a lot well according to reports so it is likely we only at 3 CBs 2 early one late. Also Cox/Wright could be brought back for competition for one of the last roster spots.

3rd Bold: I don't think we add anyone to the OL group and if we do it's at the expense of one of the younger guys. Meaning we will go into the season with the same amount of OL as last year.

4th Bold: With Bowman likely to miss half the season we add at least 1 ILB and maybe a pass rushing OLB since you never can have too many of those.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade LaMichael James to KC, they seem to like taking our players.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
1st Bold: Baldwin isn't a lock to make the team so their will probably be 3 WRs added with 1 drafted early and 3 fighting for the last 2 spots.

I agree with that. Although it's more likely now that he'll make the team since he restructured.

2nd Bold: You forgot about Morris which the team likes a lot well according to reports so it is likely we only at 3 CBs 2 early one late. Also Cox/Wright could be brought back for competition for one of the last roster spots.

You're right. I did. So they'll probably add 3 CBs. And Wright & Cox aren't on the roster, so they would fall into the "adding a FA" category just like Whitner would.

3rd Bold: I don't think we add anyone to the OL group and if we do it's at the expense of one of the younger guys. Meaning we will go into the season with the same amount of OL as last year.

If they want the same amount of OL as last year they have to add someone to the roster. I didn't realize Adam Snyder was still on the roster, but I don't see how they could possibly keep him. He's the worst OL in the NFL. But even if they wanna keep the same amount of OL they need someone to replace Goodwin's roster spot.

4th Bold: With Bowman likely to miss half the season we add at least 1 ILB and maybe a pass rushing OLB since you never can have too many of those.

If they add an ILB it's probably only until Bowman is back. I think the day 1 starter will be Michael Wilhoite. They could add an OLB, but it'd have to come at the expense of another position. I'm all for drafting a project OLB, but that would probably mean 1 fewer DL or Dan Skuta getting traded. And I like Dan Skuta.

I'm also rooting for Lawrence Okoye to make the team. If that guy's showing anything at all resembling NFL-caliber play, I think adding just 1 DL to the team would be fine. Although I think both Stephon Tuitt & Dominique Easley are both extremely low hanging fruit, it's unlikely the Niners get 'em both anyway. Seeing either one in another team's uniform would be tough. :(

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. Although it's more likely now that he'll make the team since he restructured.

You're right. I did. So they'll probably add 3 CBs. And Wright & Cox aren't on the roster, so they would fall into the "adding a FA" category just like Whitner would.

If they want the same amount of OL as last year they have to add someone to the roster. I didn't realize Adam Snyder was still on the roster, but I don't see how they could possibly keep him. He's the worst OL in the NFL. But even if they wanna keep the same amount of OL they need someone to replace Goodwin's roster spot.

If they add an ILB it's probably only until Bowman is back. I think the day 1 starter will be Michael Wilhoite. They could add an OLB, but it'd have to come at the expense of another position. I'm all for drafting a project OLB, but that would probably mean 1 fewer DL or Dan Skuta getting traded. And I like Dan Skuta.

I'm also rooting for Lawrence Okoye to make the team. If that guy's showing anything at all resembling NFL-caliber play, I think adding just 1 DL to the team would be fine. Although I think both Stephon Tuitt & Dominique Easley are both extremely low hanging fruit, it's unlikely the Niners get 'em both anyway. Seeing either one in another team's uniform would be tough. :(

I forgot about Goodwin not coming back so we will add another OL. Even how bad Snyder is I don't think he gets cut but if he did I would rather use that spot for LB or DL.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just gonna make my own 53-man roster with players I want in the draft and players I think the 49ers keep.

QB (3) - Kap, Josh Freeman, Boyd
RB (4)- Gore, Lattimore, Hunter, Sankey
FB (2)- Miller, Tukuafu/Dixon
WR (6)- Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Cooks, Moncrief, Baldwin
OL (8)- Staley, Iupati, Davis, Boone, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder, Richburg/Swanson

DL (8)- Justin, Ray, Ian, Tank, Dorsey, TJE, Dial, Easley
LB (7)- Willis, Aldon, Brooks, Wilhoite, Moody, Lemonier, Skuta
CB (7)- Brock, Culliver, Wright, Morris, Tillman, Jean-Baptiste, Gaines
S (5)- Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Spillman, Ventrone

SP (3)- Lee, Dawson, McDermott

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also I would take Snyder over any OL on the Dolphins not name Pouncy.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just gonna make my own 53-man roster with players I want in the draft and players I think the 49ers keep.

QB (3) - Kap, Josh Freeman, Boyd
RB (4)- Gore, Lattimore, Hunter, Sankey
WR (6)- Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Cooks, Moncrief, Baldwin
OL (8)- Staley, Iupati, Davis, Boone, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder, Richburg/Swanson

DL (8)- Justin, Ray, Ian, Tank, Dorsey, TJE, Dial, Easley

Who gets cut when Bowman comes back?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Also I would take Snyder over any OL on the Dolphins not name Pouncy.

I'm guilty of hyperbole saying Snyder's the worst OL in the NFL, but I think he's close. He's really, really bad, and he's not worth a roster spot IMO.

Here's hoping David Baas gets cut so Kilgore can go back to the swing OL spot & they can cut Synder.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guilty of hyperbole saying Snyder's the worst OL in the NFL, but I think he's close. He's really, really bad, and he's not worth a roster spot IMO.

Here's hoping David Baas gets cut so Kilgore can go back to the swing OL spot & they can cut Synder.

:suds: this we can agree on

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Who gets cut when Bowman comes back?

Whatever temporary ILB they sign to fill his roster spot. Wilhoite will start IMO, but they'll probably get someone to back up him & Moody. The guy Bowman replaces ideally won't even play a single snap on defense this year.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Phillip or EJ? I assume it's Phillip unless we got either EJ or Moncrief in the 3rd? Don't see either of those scenarios playing out but if it did I would be :yahoo:

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever temporary ILB they sign to fill his roster spot. Wilhoite will start IMO, but they'll probably get someone to back up him & Moody. The guy Bowman replaces ideally won't even play a single snap on defense this year.

But in Golds 53 that player isn't identified. We won't cut Moody, Skuta, Lemonier, or Wilhote so who do we cut when Bowman comes back based on his 53 man roster?

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillip or EJ? I assume it's Phillip unless we got either EJ or Moncrief in the 3rd? Don't see either of those scenarios playing out but if it did I would be :yahoo:

I have it as EJ hoping 1 of them drop. Plus im crossing my fingers we get a 3rd for losing Goldson.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in Golds 53 that player isn't identified. We won't cut Moody, Skuta, Lemonier, or Wilhote so who do we cut when Bowman comes back based on his 53 man roster?

Maybe Dial or Ventrone its hard to say. I wish we wouldnt have to cut anyone.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB (3) - Kap, Josh Freeman, Boyd (5th)
RB (4)- Gore, Lattimore, Hunter, Sankey (4th)
WR (6)- Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Cooks(1st), Moncrief(2nd), Baldwin
OL (8)- Staley, Iupati, Davis, Boone, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder, Richburg/Swanson (3rd)

DL (8)- Justin, Ray, Ian, Tank, Dorsey, TJE, Dial, Easley (3rd)
CB (7)- Brock, Culliver, Wright, Morris, Tillman, Jean-Baptiste(2nd), Gaines (3rd)

I went ahead and added the rounds we drafted the players in. Like I said im hoping we get a 3rd for losing Goldson. Some of these players might not drop but they can be swithed out with others I like just as much.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Don't get your hopes up for Brandin Cooks. I think he's going top 15.

Glad you're on board the Easley & EJ bandwagons...

But Josh Freeman & Tajh Boyd? :puke: It would've been tough for you to have picked 2 names I liked less.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get your hopes up for Brandin Cooks. I think he's going top 15.

Glad you're on board the Easley & EJ bandwagons...

But Josh Freeman & Tajh Boyd? :puke: It would've been tough for you to have picked 2 names I liked less.

I looked over the FA QBs and they all kinda blow. Plus I give Vick no shot of coming here. I really dont want to resign McCoy. What FA QB would you like to see come Chad Henne? Maybe bring Shaun Hill back?

Its not that I liked Boyd but I think he is a QB who could come in and run our system if say Kap got hurt knock on wood. Who do you like Logan Thomas. AJ McCarron, Aaron Murray or Connor Shaw?

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cooks isnt there I would gladly take Matthews or Beckham if they fell to the 30th pick.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What FA QB would you like to see come Chad Henne? Maybe bring Shaun Hill back?

Its not that I liked Boyd but I think he is a QB who could come in and run our system if say Kap got hurt knock on wood. Who do you like Logan Thomas. AJ McCarron, Aaron Murray or Connor Shaw?

I like AJ McCarron & Connor Shaw (Shaw in the 6th or 7th is my ideal pick). Aaron Murray is this year's Tyler Wilson IMO. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a try, but I doubt he'll do anything.

As far as FA QBs, Marc Sanchez is the only one who interests me at all (if / when he gets cut). Otherwise I say go with Colt McCoy or a rookie.

I like Henne & Hill, but they'll cost too much IMO.

I don't think Logan Thomas is an NFL-level QB.

Last edited by a moderator: