• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ron Rivera draft picks that matter

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are RR’s first and second round draft picks because successful organizations DO NOT mission these rounds.

2020- Chase Young in round one. This was a pick some of us were behind; however, QB was a glaring need. We passed on Tua and Herbert. T was also a position many of us were behind with the likes of Andrew Thomas, 2022 AP, discussed. This was a major mistake by this organization. That being said, I think this will actually help us in the long run, as we would not have been in position to win with either QB and would not have gotten Daniels.

2021- Jamin Davis in round one. We passed on Darrisaw, which is the pick almost all of us wanted.

Sam Cosmi in round 2. This was the only good pick in his tenure.

2022- Jahan Dotson in round one. It is still too early to declare a disaster but it is not looking good. Keep in mind we traded down from 11 and got nothing in return. Two names were mentioned on this board more than any other…Olave and Kyle Hamilton…both of whom would have been much better choices.

Phidarian Mathis in round 2. While there are not a lot of stand outs that I remember discussing, there is not a single person who liked or agreed with this pick. We passed on Pickens, Trey McBride, Goedeke, and Cam Jurgens.

2023- Forbes in round one. Nobody liked this pick originally and I think we were all stunned on passing on Gonzalez.

Quan in round 2. I think most of us thought this was not the right pick; however, it seems like it may end up being good.

I challenge anybody to find a worse track record than this during this period. If RR ever finds his way back into a position of actual power, he needs to be investigated for blackmail.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are RR’s first and second round draft picks because successful organizations DO NOT mission these rounds.

2020- Chase Young in round one. This was a pick some of us were behind; however, QB was a glaring need. We passed on Tua and Herbert. T was also a position many of us were behind with the likes of Andrew Thomas, 2022 AP, discussed. This was a major mistake by this organization. That being said, I think this will actually help us in the long run, as we would not have been in position to win with either QB and would not have gotten Daniels.

2021- Jamin Davis in round one. We passed on Darrisaw, which is the pick almost all of us wanted.

2022- Jahan Dotson in round one. It is still too early to declare a disaster but it is not looking good. Keep in mind we traded down from 11 and got nothing in return. Two names were mentioned on this board more than any other…Olave and Kyle Hamilton…both of whom would have been much better choices.

Phidarian Mathis in round 2. While there are not a lot of stand outs that I remember discussing, there is not a single person who liked or agreed with this pick. We passed on Pickens, Trey McBride, Goedeke, and Cam Jurgens.

2023- Forbes in round one. Nobody liked this pick originally and I think we were all stunned on passing on Gonzalez.

Quan in round 2. I think most of us thought this was not the right pick; however, it seems like it may end up being good.

I challenge anybody to find a worse track record than this during this period. If RR ever finds his way back into a position of actual power, he needs to be investigated for blackmail.
3 decent,4 awful,big failure.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. I didn't know we passed on Pickens. I do give Ron some grace. He was saddled with Synder's QB in Haskins and probably wasn't even allowed to pick a QB.

I wanted Jameson Williams with the Dotson pick, but that's probably apples to oranges. Hamilton was the miss.

I wanted Gonzalez but will admit, I was okay with Forbes.

Mathis was picked because they thought they were gonna lose Payne. Still a massive reach. This was proof that Ron had no plan and was just winging it.

Kam Curl was a find, but him and his entire draft class is gone.

Respect Ron the man but damn.....

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. I didn't know we passed on Pickens. I do give Ron some grace. He was saddled with Synder's QB in Haskins and probably wasn't even allowed to pick a QB.

I wanted Jameson Williams with the Dotson pick, but that's probably apples to oranges. Hamilton was the miss.

I wanted Gonzalez but will admit, I was okay with Forbes.

Mathis was picked because they thought they were gonna lose Payne. Still a massive reach. This was proof that Ron had no plan and was just winging it.

Kam Curl was a find, but him and his entire draft class is gone.

Respect Ron the man but damn.....
respect the man,player,the coaching part not so much.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a single poster on this forum said a damn thing about drafting anyone except Chase Young. No one.

Jamin has shown some flashes as a pass rusher. He looks much different attacking as opposed to reacting. Plus he has great teachers now. It was criminal how the LB unit was misused n dismissed by Riverboat.

Sportster was down with the Dotson pick. So was I after reading multiple write ups on him. Crisp route runner, good hands, speed. He balled some his rookie year. Not so much his soph year. He's in the same boat as Jamin. Time to shit or get off the pot.

Mathis was a shitty move. Hell, they should've traded Payne that year.

I was cool with Forbes. Defensive playmakers have been few n far between for the Skins since DHall n RK.

The way they let Shreff go was criminal as well. And I'm talked ng about the franchise tag x 2 bullshit. They should've traded him to.

They should've kept Curl.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a single poster on this forum said a damn thing about drafting anyone except Chase Young. No one.

Jamin has shown some flashes as a pass rusher. He looks much different attacking as opposed to reacting. Plus he has great teachers now. It was criminal how the LB unit was misused n dismissed by Riverboat.

Sportster was down with the Dotson pick. So was I after reading multiple write ups on him. Crisp route runner, good hands, speed. He balled some his rookie year. Not so much his soph year. He's in the same boat as Jamin. Time to shit or get off the pot.

I was cool with Forbes. Defensive playmakers have been few n far between for the Skins since DHall n RK.

The way they let Shreff go was criminal as well. And I'm talked ng about the franchise tag x 2 bullshit. They should've traded him to.

I was,nt here then.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mostly agree .... there were rumors about bringing Tua in pre-draft and I was for that. I didn't bitch about Chase but had some doubts from watching him in the Big Ten. Never said a word about Herbert because I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to west coast teams.

I wanted Joey Porter Jr. I hoped Forbes would work out based on what he did in the SEC.

Both Forbes and Dotson have to raise their play level this year.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly agree .... there were rumors about bringing Tua in pre-draft and I was for that. I didn't bitch about Chase but had some doubts from watching him in the Big Ten. Never said a word about Herbert because I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to west coast teams.

I wanted Joey Porter Jr. I hoped Forbes would work out based on what he did in the SEC.

chase went from great to dogshit after his tear. R

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won’t. Rivera went with a sub .500 record after his 15-1 season, and was done in when Cam Newton stopped being effective. He came here and continued that trend, ending eight seasons without a winning record and taking his career record below .500. He also probably ruined himself as a coordinator, because the defensive unit was objectively worse when he took over, as opposed to what it was doing under Del Rio. He also essentially let Bienemy run his own offense, and install draconian rules such as not wearing a backwards hat. Notice how, in order to get a job calling plays again, Bienemy had to go down to the college level in order to do so.

Any team that hires Rivera for anything at this point deserves what they get. The track record over the last decade is terrible, littered with bad hires and bad football personnel decisions. He’s a nice guy, and should enjoy his millions and being a commentator.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, while I wasn’t on this board at the time, I can say that the community where I’ve been just about matches here. I was fine with the Chase Young pick but I still wanted a QB. I understood that Rivera was a defensive-minded HC and wanted to build the team that way.

Jamin Davis was a failure. Our franchise has never been able to develop the ‘combine warriors’ into successful draft picks. The dude is a hell of an athlete, and if he has any chance at succeeding, it’s right now. As was said, Cosmi was a solid draft choice in the second. Also, the franchises that continually win and appear in the playoffs spend at least one draft pick yearly in Rounds 1-3 on OL.

Dotson was OK, and could still be fine, but Kyle Hamilton would have been a big get for us. Was never a fan of the Mathis pick, and that smacked of a coach worrying about losing one of his best players (Payne) in FA and drafting on need as opposed to BPA.

Forbes stunned me just on how they let it get out. He’s also very undersized and smacked of a Day 2 pick because of it. Lots of folks were done on Martin where I also post, and he’s changed just about all of the opinions there.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really liked Hamilton. Not so much olave

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's all good. I probably put a little too much on it. It wasn't as if other players weren't discussed. Far as anyone saying my stance is they should draft Tua or Herbert instead of Chase. That did not go down. And hey, picking Chase looked really good, electric at times even................for about 15 minutes. Silver lining. The Skins didn't have to trade for him.

Jamin needs to be included on the raise his play team as well. Lulv n BW in the mix should benefit him tremendously.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won’t. Rivera went with a sub .500 record after his 15-1 season, and was done in when Cam Newton stopped being effective. He came here and continued that trend, ending eight seasons without a winning record and taking his career record below .500. He also probably ruined himself as a coordinator, because the defensive unit was objectively worse when he took over, as opposed to what it was doing under Del Rio. He also essentially let Bienemy run his own offense, and install draconian rules such as not wearing a backwards hat. Notice how, in order to get a job calling plays again, Bienemy had to go down to the college level in order to do so.

Any team that hires Rivera for anything at this point deserves what they get. The track record over the last decade is terrible, littered with bad hires and bad football personnel decisions. He’s a nice guy, and should enjoy his millions and being commentator.
Heavens to murgatroyd! Tell me it an't so. I'd rather listen to coach explain the various consistencies of poop while countyry is cryin about how every single Skins player couldn't bust a grape if they fell on it.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree. I know I said something about Tua but was happy about Young. I did not want Herbert and still believe he is overrated. Ultimately, I am glad they chose Young because Tua and Herbert would never lead us to a SB but would have prevented us from getting JD, who I believe can lead us to a SB.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted a QB but was happy with chase.
A few of us never wanted Ron Rivera and said so when he was hired. None of this happens, with Chase being the possible exception, if Rivera and his failed band of Panthers north wasn't used as a stop gap to quell the pending uprising in Washington football nation against Snyder. It happened anyway, but unfortunately, a few years later than necessary.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few of us never wanted Ron Rivera and said so when he was hired. None of this happens, with Chase being the possible exception, if Rivera and his failed band of Panthers north wasn't used as a stop gap to quell the pending uprising in Washington football nation against Snyder. It happened anyway, but unfortunately, a few years later than necessary.
I thought it was dumb,but I had to accept it.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. I know I said something about Tua but was happy about Young. I did not want Herbert and still believe he is overrated. Ultimately, I am glad they chose Young because Tua and Herbert would never lead us to a SB but would have prevented us from getting JD, who I believe can lead us to a SB.
I actually liked Herbert not tua, but was all in on young (I bought in to all the hype) I did have my concerns though

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase was misused and so was Jamin Davis. I said so at the time with young and just gave up when Davis came along. It's too late to convert Young into a Parsons type of LBer, and we finally have a professional group in here trying to convert Davis into a DE.