• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo "leaning" towards surgery

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about let's make our friggin mind up and get the surgery done if it's needed!

The Dallas Morning News reports Tony Romo is "leaning" toward undergoing surgery on his left collarbone.

It appears Romo will undergo a "Mumford procedure," where a portion of his clavicle is "shaved off or removed." Romo has broken his left collarbone three times since 2010. Romo, who turns 36 in April, will likely miss a big chunk of the offseason program. Finding either Romo's heir apparent or a competent backup should be a priority for Big D.

Source: Dallas Morning News
Feb 23 - 3:46 PM

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony may pursue a golf career.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow ... few things drive me nuts more than when guys decide to have surgery months after they stopped playing.
But maybe it's a complication that could not be foreseen. A quick check says this procedure is done sometimes to relieve pain.

This is bad news boys. in light of this news, you have to ask yourselves: Do we have the time to draft a "project"

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope he doent get injured leading towards anything.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow ... few things drive me nuts more than when guys decide to have surgery months after they stopped playing.
But maybe it's a complication that could not be foreseen. A quick check says this procedure is done sometimes to relieve pain.

This is bad news boys. in light of this news, you have to ask yourselves: Do we have the time to draft a "project"
Looks more like he needs to decide between two options and can't for some reason

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it could be that Romo is exploring all the options on the table and double and triple checking to find the best solution for his health now and in the future after football. If that is the case you cant blame the guy for taking the time to make a fully informed decision. We tend to think as fans that Football is the only thing involved in the decisions that players make. They do have family and a life after football to consider also.

JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his indecision will result in a QB at #4....
Perhaps that ultimately is what we need anyway. One thing is clear IMO and that is that we cannot rely on Tony Romo to stay healthy. Plan B will likely be put into effect every year for the rest of his career with the Cowboys, so I hope they put a lot of thought into what Plan B is...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps that ultimately is what we need anyway. One thing is clear IMO and that is that we cannot rely on Tony Romo to stay healthy. Plan B will likely be put into effect every year for the rest of his career with the Cowboys, so I hope they put a lot of thought into what Plan B is...
Yeah, it sounds like the Cowboys aren't going after RG3, if they don't go after a starting caliber guy, it's hard to imagine we don't go QB

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Goff and Wentz wI'll be 2nd tier type qbs. I admit I prefer goff. the cowboys are several players away from contending. time to think about the future. we can't go back to the early 2000s and rum a bunch of scrubs out there. this is our best chance to get a qb for a cap friendly deal

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure a plate will keep it from breaking with a 280lb guy driving him into the ground, but I guess it could be preventative if he's hit by a CB?

Cowboys meet with QB prospect, Tony Romo to have shoulder surgery

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

February 27, 2016 12:23 pm ET

Here's an interesting juxtaposition of NFL news stories: the Cowboys spent Friday night meeting with a quarterback prospect and on Saturday Tony Romo told the world he's going to have shoulder surgery.

How to watch online, TV schedule, list of players

These two things are not mutually exclusive. Romo is old (about to turn 36), has dealt with serious injuries the last few seasons and the Cowboys are holding a high draft pick with multiple options at quarterback on the board.

First the Romo news, because he is the quarterback for 2016, the face of the franchise and Jerry Jones' hope to bring a Super Bowl to Dallas.

He confirmed he'll have surgery and is getting a plate put in his shoulder, something he called "preventative" at a Legoland event on Saturday.

“We're just going to do it for preventative,” Romo said. “As far as the way I feel, I feel good. We just want to make sure that obviously it doesn't happen again, so we'll probably just put a plate on it and go from there."

The preventative part is supposed to keep Romo safe if he takes a shot (which he has routinely taken) from a defender.

"Putting a plate on it … really you're just doing it to ensure next year when you take a hit,” Romo continued. "If I can do something that helps me to ensure that the bone doesn't break next time, I think that's good for everybody. It's a small procedure; it's not very big.”

Romo will probably miss some offseason activities but having surgery in March isn't going to prevent him from starting the season.

Tony-Romo-injury-eight-weeks-09-21-15.png
Tony Romo could be sidelined for another 6-8 weeks if he has surgery. (USATSI)

Now about that prospect. The Cowboys can deny interest in taking a quarterback at No. 4 all they want but the reality is it's a situation for a franchise where you have to consider doubling down on the position. Romo turns 36 in April and has been frequently injured.

They haven't denied, per se, with Jason Garrett saying they'd meet with several of them while in Indianapolis. One of those guys is Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch, who had a formal visit with the Cowboys on Friday night scheduled.

"Whatever I need to do to help that team, I will do," Lynch said. "If it's coming in and sitting behind a guy, I'm still going to compete and push him. That's how teams get better in my opinion."

Going to the Cowboys would mean at minimum one year of sitting and watching Romo, almost like a redshirt season. Lynch didn't seem to have a problem with that.

"I'd be more than OK with doing whatever was best for me and the team and whatever team I got picked up by. When I first got to school, I didn't want to redshirt or anything. I thought I could go in there and play, but I realized later on down the road as I grew up and matured, I realized that redshirting is a good thing," Lynch said.

"You get a chance to sit back and learn what you need to learn and take care of your business off the field. I know if I got to sit behind somebody like a veteran quarterback, whoever it may be, I know that that would be a great learning experience to develop me mentally and physically in the game, give me a year just to sit back and see how you handle things professionally."

For a team always so set on "win now" mode, it would be surprising to see the Cowboys draft and develop a new quarterback as high as a No. 4 pick.

But the reality is it would be a smart decision if Dallas is confident they can identify a franchise quarterback.

Whiffing would be a devastating blow to the franchise. Landing a transition quarterback once Romo is done? It's the sort of thing only the best and luckiest clubs hope to pull off.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO if Lynch is the plan they are not taking a QB at 4. Granted they will look at other QBs but defense is a bigger need at 4.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Cowboys will be taking any QB's in the 1st round.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they could have Prescott in round 2, and that would be a smart call IMO. If the plan is to sit the drafted QB for 2-3 years behind Romo anyway, it just wakes more sense to draft a kid that could be the next Russell Wilson(with a little development), if he is going to get that time to learn. I would also strongly consider trading down 3-4 spots, as they could still land someone like Elliott and then address defense with the other pick they added, or go defense, then maybe Henry and then Prescott, and come away with a QB, RB, and impact defender all in round 1. Unless Cleveland passes on Wentz, as he certainly looks like he could be the real deal

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we trade down then we better fleece somebody. I would be satisfied to go down and get the Niners 1st and 2nd round pick this year as well as their 1st rounder in 2017, #4 pick is a premium pick. The cowboys need to get 2ND and 1st next year or no deal. There is no way in hell I would trade out of the top 8 in this draft.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we trade down then we better fleece somebody. I would be satisfied to go down and get the Niners 1st and 2nd round pick this year as well as their 1st rounder in 2017, #4 pick is a premium pick. The cowboys need to get 2ND and 1st next year or no deal. There is no way in hell I would trade out of the top 8 in this draft.
Yeah, thinking a trade to anyone in the top 10, picking up a top 10 2nd rounder would be a great call.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones' QB plan starts with 4-5 year plan for Tony Romo

"What is the one unequivocable fact that you can count on relative to the preparation of this draft and on draft day is that I'm planning on Romo being the quarterback for the next four or five years," Jones said during a more than one-hour long interview on the team's luxury bus from the scouting combine on Saturday. "That's a fact. You won't see a decision on draft day that will fly in the face of not believing, from our standpoint, that he'll be our quarterback for four or five years."

I don't even know what to say about these comments.

First off ..it ignores one of the Holy Grail's of decision making. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst."
After the sting of last year, i can't get my head around how this need can be ignored.

Secondly, Jerry seems to think that drafting a QB would imply some immediate need for a QB.
We do have an immediate need, but drafting is not the answer unless your OK with just guessing some rookie
can perform like a stater from day 1.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"What is the one unequivocable fact that you can count on relative to the preparation of this draft and on draft day is that I'm planning on Romo being the quarterback for the next four or five years," Jones said during a more than one-hour long interview on the team's luxury bus from the scouting combine on Saturday. "That's a fact. You won't see a decision on draft day that will fly in the face of not believing, from our standpoint, that he'll be our quarterback for four or five years."

I don't even know what to say about these comments.

First off ..it ignores one of the Holy Grail's of decision making. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst."
After the sting of last year, i can't get my head around how this need can be ignored.

Secondly, Jerry seems to think that drafting a QB would imply some immediate need for a QB.
We do have an immediate need, but drafting is not the answer unless your OK with just guessing some rookie
can perform like a stater from day 1.

It's also possible that he is saying those things to prevent a team from trading up to 3 to take Wentz or Goff.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't believe a word coming from anyone's mouth this time of year. It doesn't make sense for us to reach and grab one that high. The 4-5 year window also includes the timeframe for Romo to have his final years and retire a Cowboy. He likely has 2 more years of playing and being one of the best players we have on our team. Call that a plan if you will, but there is no rookie QB that can come in and be anywhere near as good as Romo. In 2 years, maybe an inexperienced QB that has been groomed can step into that role, but you don't take a QB in round one to have him sit for 2 years unless you are a contender and have virtually few pieces that you need.

IMO - we may not take one until around our third pick - wherever that may be. We need an impact player on defense and we need a running back. Those two are the most pressing needs at this time for the 2016 Cowboys. We may be able to find one or both before the draft - still kinda early. Back-up QB is a need, but rookie QB is not. Rookie QB likely doesn't help the 2016 team. Jerrah may be looking for a veteran to be a back-up.