• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rolando McClain will get first-team reps

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys believe linebacker Rolando McClain, the twice-retired 25-year-old former eighth overall pick, is ready to get some reps with the starters.

Justin Durant performed well while working with the starters at middle linebacker throughout training camp, but head coach Jason Garrett has said that his most natural position is weakside linebacker. The Cowboys plan to look at the combination of McClain in the middle and Durant on the weak side.

“We started to do that a couple of weeks ago and then Rolando was out of practice a couple of days, so we will do that in practice this week,” Garrett said. “At the end of the day, we need to find our three best linebackers and our best combination of those guys to start for us in base, and then there are some roles in nickel as well. If guys demonstrate that they’re a better cover guy than base linebacker, maybe they’ll get their opportunities there. So we’ll continue to work the different looks and the different combinations and see what looks best.”

If the Cowboys like what they see with the McClain-Durant combination, Bruce Carter would likely be on the bench in the base defense, although he could have a role in the nickel and dime packages.

Carter could move to the strongside spot, but the Cowboys have been pleased with Kyle Wilber’s performance at the position. Garrett has been tepid with his praise of Carter this summer.

“I thought Bruce did fine,” Garrett said, evaluating Carter’s performance against the Ravens. “Didn’t like the holding call that he had. Thought that was a legit call. But he showed up a little bit in the game both in the run game and defending the pass. Good cover guy.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4731978/rolando-mcclain-will-get-first-team-reps

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm not 100% sure what to make of this, but I like that Garrett stuck to his guns on our 3 best LBs playing. I think Durant's natural position in this defense is actually on the strong side, so I wonder if that was a way to try to let Carter down a little easier than just benching him. I've also yet to see enough from McClain to hand him the job, but am all for giving him the opportunity. He has surprised me with his coverage ability. I didn't expect him to be able to drop and read like he has. Very disappointed with Holloman's injury too. Was dying to see him get FT play in the nickel at a minimum. I think these 3 could do fine on run downs, but would need to change things up in the nickel.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to know how he graded out on a play per play thing. Like Dixon the week before looked like a star in the making with all the big hits and tackles. I just wonder how many times he messed up in coverage or was in the wrong place. After the SD game, Kiffen supposedly said we just need to teach the kid how to cover and how to line up right. As far as McClain- he wowed with some of his hits and did force a fumble but it was said he was asking off the field at the end of the first drive of the second half. Im sure he was tired. He looks the part - physical beast and seems to be really smart. I just want him to want it. I could tell Moose had reservations about him the other night.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does sound as though Garrett wants to play the guys who win the right to start. It's not a big secret that he's on the hot seat. Maybe he figures I'd he's going to be fired he might as well do it his way.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think jerry wants this guy to start. I think jerry requires the input to his coaches on such things. I think this remains a large part of the problem in Jerryville. Bill Parcels was one opportunity that will never happen in Dallas again

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think jerry wants this guy to start. I think jerry requires the input to his coaches on such things. I think this remains a large part of the problem in Jerryville. Bill Parcels was one opportunity that will never happen in Dallas again

True, but it's so un Jerry like to give up on one of his pet projects (Carter)

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bashed the carter draft pick. It looked for a time i was wrong about him

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not start him? Not like we have anybody else. Holloman is probably done in the nfl. The other guys are injury waiting to happen

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bashed the carter draft pick. It looked for a time i was wrong about him

I didn't like the pick either and never saw this great player that some did when he put up decent stats, but I'm certainly not ready to close the book on him either. I think he has the ability and hopefully can be a good player. I just don't think he seems to heve been able to learn what he needs to do and it slows him down. I think if he can figure out the mental side of the game he can be a very good player. Otherwise we need to simplify things for him by limiting his responsibility and playing him in specialty situations. That would of course not be a good thing.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not start him? Not like we have anybody else. Holloman is probably done in the nfl. The other guys are injury waiting to happen

Done in the NFL? Did the results of his Doctor's visit come out or are you assuming?