• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rogers wants to resign

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers CB Carlos Rogers has given his agent the go-ahead to start negotiations on a long-term contract.
"I want to be here," said Rogers. "This has been great for me, and I would love to get something worked out for five, six years." The 49ers should be interested as well. Through seven weeks, Rogers grades out as Pro Football Focus' second-rated cornerback behind only Darrelle Revis.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through seven weeks, Rogers grades out as Pro Football Focus' second-rated cornerback behind only Darrelle Revis.

All the more reason why it surprises me that he wants to open up the dialogue now as opposed to testing the FA market in the offseason (regardless of the fact that he might truly want to back here only)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is great that he wants to stay in San Francisco. His play so far has had many of us talking extension for the past few weeks, and if PFF has him as the 2nd-rated CB that is awesome too.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
All the more reason why it surprises me that he wants to open up the dialogue now as opposed to testing the FA market in the offseason (regardless of the fact that he might truly want to back here only)

Maybe he feels like he has shown his value and wants to lock in a deal before he gets injured or something. If he likes it here he'll take a deal that he thinks is fair and limits his risk to losing money if he gets injured.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he feels like he has shown his value and wants to lock in a deal before he gets injured or something. If he likes it here he'll take a deal that he thinks is fair and limits his risk to losing money if he gets injured.

+1

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point, and that might be the only reason he wants to get something worked on now as opposed to later.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
More than likely this will be his last meaningful contract so I'm sure he will looking for more up front/guaranteed money.

I find the timing of his comments rather odd. From a purely business standpoint, I would have expected him to wait until the offseason to bring this up. He could have potentially used other teams to drive up his price. Can we even extend players at this point in the season? If not, that's a moot point.

Not sure if this was addressed, but I'm pretty sure you can extend guys any time.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see any point in talking about signing him for a contract that averages under 6.5M per year. I think we're more likely looking at something in the 8M range, give or take 500k.

He's making 4.25M this year, so talking about anything in the 4-5M range is rather pointless.

Jonathon Joseph got 48.75M for 5 years with 23.5 guaranteed and 12.5 signing bonus.
Leon Hall recently signed a 4 year 39M extension.
Dunta Robinson signed a 6 year $57M with the Falcons last year.
Quentin Jammer signed a 5 year 30M in 2008.
Marcus Trufant signed a 6 year 50.2M in 2008.

I'm not going to argue that Rogers should get as much as Joseph or Hall on a yearly basis (total is obviously different since Rogers is older), but I think if we were to sign him to a 4 year contract, something in the 38-42M range would (roughly 10M per year) would be quite fair.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this was addressed, but I'm pretty sure you can extend guys any time.

Cool! Thanks! I thought as much but just wanted to be sure before I questioned his wanting to get into contract discussions at this point. I knew it had nothing to do with the trade deadline but I just wanted positive that there wasn't any negotiating deadlines that I didn't know about.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any point in talking about signing him for a contract that averages under 6.5M per year. I think we're more likely looking at something in the 8M range, give or take 500k.

He's making 4.25M this year, so talking about anything in the 4-5M range is rather pointless.

Jonathon Joseph got 48.75M for 5 years with 23.5 guaranteed and 12.5 signing bonus.

I'm not going to argue that Rogers should get as much as Joseph or Hall on a yearly basis (total is obviously different since Rogers is older), but I think if we were to sign him to a 4 year contract, something in the 38-42M range would (roughly 10M per year) would be quite fair.

How is that different from Hall?

dez

Town Drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im finally thinking that the players have bought into Harbaugh..He seems to be upbeat and a players coach...He's having fun and the team is winning...win win for all involved..IMO players want to come here for that rather than our winning record..there are much better immediate contenders than us.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The difference is all these guys signed these deals in their prime.
Rogers is 30. He'll be 31 next year. I say the most he should get is $6M per year not $10M.

We have too many other players to resign to lock $10M into Rogers:

Alex Smith, Brooks, Goldson or Reggie Smith, Braylon Edwards, etc. There's probably 15+ guys on 1 year deals.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the discussion starts at 5 per with 10 SB. See what his agent goes with from there. So along the lines of 3 for 25 to start with. Makes it a 8.33333333 avg.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always find it funny when fans talk about contracts like their paying it

I find it even more hilarious that someone who has completed the fifth grade doesn't know the difference among "they're," "there," and "their."

:arg: