• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rogers fears it overbid, using cost-cutting measures

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
so it seems they had enough $$$ in the budget to use the Rolling Stones new song "Angry With Me" as their new theme.
the issue is, every time i hear that some, i'm wondering why I'm not watching Sydney Sweeny writhe around on a convertible on Sunset Blvd.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Simmons (I know, I know) has written an article saying that Rogers might drop the NHL rights in order for the Jays to sign Ohtani.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Simmons (I know, I know) has written an article saying that Rogers might drop the NHL rights in order for the Jays to sign Ohtani.
oh man maybe no more betting ads

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s the article.

I doubt it’s as linear as Simmons makes it out to be here but he does likely have at least a bit of an in with Ed Rogers so there’s likely some truth that 1) the NHL deal has been a disaster financially for Rogers, 2) Rogers likes the idea of the Blue Jays grabbing eyeballs with Ohtani as the centerpiece and 3) getting out from under the NHL deal is coming at a rather convenient time.

The double whammy of Canadian teams absolutely sucking almost the entire duration of this deal (only one Canadian team made a final since Rogers signed it and that was the Habs during a Covid year) and Covid made it next to impossible to make money on it, and when you already have all the regional rights they do there isn’t really any incentive to get the national rights as there just isn’t the same amount of enthusiasm to watch US teams be good when your team stopped playing in April.

My guess is if anyone overpays the way Rogers did going forward it’s going to be YouTube or Apple etc. but unless they scrub the entire system and make all regional games available nationally somehow I don’t think it’s going to change much.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever does it would get an instant win if they just brought back the correct fucking theme song.
No matter how it all plays out the place will be rocking cause it’s Saturday night.

/Oh, not that theme song?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Advertising needs to have a sin tax

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how it all plays out the place will be rocking cause it’s Saturday night.

/Oh, not that theme song?

Delores Claman RIP

/Also bring back the baby blue blazers :D