• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roddy White Pulls an Aaron Rodgers

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude should know better than to run his mouth and let his emotions get the best of him.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#soundsridicules

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A comment I made when this first came to light:

Roddy White is kinda wack for backing out on his word, but you can't really expect him to be serious about a bet like this because there was no upside if White had won. What would he have actually gained if Duke won instead? The opportunity to laugh at a poor person? White giving the guy *multiple* tickets to the Bears game is completely within reason.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then don't say it.

When you say it, you do it. :nod:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
but you can't really expect him to be serious about a bet like this because there was no upside if White had won.

That's the difference between agreeing to the terms of a bet and just voluntarily talking shit. Roddy White was doing the latter. And since he's not going to man up, he's in the douchetastic Aaron Rodgers category now.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the difference between agreeing to the terms of a bet and just voluntarily talking shit. Roddy White was doing the latter. And since he's not going to man up, he's in the douchetastic Aaron Rodgers category now.

It's unilateral contract. Even though the tweeter wasn't doing anything, the conditions were met. It's like if I said that if $1 million were given to me I would give you a house. Does not matter if you gave me the million dollars or someone else did, the condition of a million dollars was met and my promise was to give you a house. If I said that I would give you a house if you personally gave me $1 million, then I could get out of it if someone else gave me the million.

The tweeter could treat that as a breach of contract and sue, but instead he took the settlement of couple tickets instead. Technically, there would be no breach until the first game of the season but by his later tweets, it sounds like he was not going to carry out his duty. So that is like anticipatory repudiation of a contract where someone expresses that they are unable or unwilling to fulfill their terms of the contract before the due date. If there is enough reason to know that the terms of the agreement, the tweeter would have a right to demand assurance to avoid any loss. I think it's unlikely that he would even try to sue. But there was a contract there.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, White would have argued that it wasn't a bet, just unserious talk, because he wasn't serious. That if a jury found that a reasonable person would not have believed that to be a promise, then it was just a statement. He has it in writing not like an oral but so she doesn't have to convince anybody the words were said or not. The tweeter does not have to accept the contract beforehand. That's why you don't go around making promises.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's unilateral contract. Even though the tweeter wasn't doing anything, the conditions were met. It's like if I said that if $1 million were given to me I would give you a house. Does not matter if you gave me the million dollars or someone else did, the condition of a million dollars was met and my promise was to give you a house. If I said that I would give you a house if you personally gave me $1 million, then I could get out of it if someone else gave me the million.

The tweeter could treat that as a breach of contract and sue, but instead he took the settlement of couple tickets instead. Technically, there would be no breach until the first game of the season but by his later tweets, it sounds like he was not going to carry out his duty. So that is like anticipatory repudiation of a contract where someone expresses that they are unable or unwilling to fulfill their terms of the contract before the due date. If there is enough reason to know that the terms of the agreement, the tweeter would have a right to demand assurance to avoid any loss. I think it's unlikely that he would even try to sue. But there was a contract there.

Looks like a gratuitous promise to me, not a unilateral contract

Where's the consideration dawg?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A unilateral contract requires action on the part of the second party that is based on the offer on the table. It applies to things like putting up a reward poster for someone who finds your dog, not to a statement like White made. There's no legal case to be made here.

He's definitely a dick for not having the balls to follow through though.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a gratuitous promise to me, not a unilateral contract

Where's the consideration dawg?

The being made a fool on twitter if Duke won (just bragging for White), but I suppose you're right. Not thinking today, trying to force something. Damn interceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Hey apparently Roddy White made good on his word. It apparently took some convincing, but good for him.

Roddy White > Aaron Rodgers.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I read the title of the thread I thought that I was going to read how Roddy White was dating Clay Matthews.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he made good on his promise. That would be like Warren Buffet saying to somebody who had a perfect bracket, "I didn't really mean it when I said I would give someone 1 billion dollars. Did you think I was serious?"