• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Robinson Cano's financials.........

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014:
Robinson Cano @ $24 million

2013:
Chone Figgins @ $8.5 million (Not on team)
Franklin Gutierrez @ $7.3 million (41 games w/ .248 avg)
Michael Morse @ $7 million (76 games w/ .226 avg)

Grand total for 2013 = $22.8 million for those three.

If the Mariners asked you if you would trade those three for Robinson Cano last year, would you do it? Don't worry about the money, we could have screwed it up year in and out with sub par players. This is a great move.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do losing those salaries help us in 2-3 years when Cano is shit? Man I am pissed. I thought we were building a young controllable, moneyball team with some low risk high reward type FA and now we are the team that is giving the payday to someone who is past his prime.

He will be nice to have for a couple seasons, but a 10 year deal? dammit.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do losing those salaries help us in 2-3 years when Cano is shit? Man I am pissed. I thought we were building a young controllable, moneyball team with some low risk high reward type FA and now we are the team that is giving the payday to someone who is past his prime.

I think it is difficult to project how long he will be effective. He could go downhill in 2-3 years or he could still be a .310+ hitter with 25+ HRs well into his mid to late 30s. Neither is unheard of.

I worry about the duration of the contract but if this is what it costs to get a hitter of his caliber so be it. I want to dislike the deal due to the salary and the duration but I'm just happy they brought a real player to Seattle.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I am happy about Cano as a player, but the deal just upsets me. Unfortunately though, it will be harder to deal Franklin or Ackley since we now have an abundance of 2nd basemen. Ack can play CF, but isn't top notch.

We'll see what happens in the days to come.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I am happy about Cano as a player, but the deal just upsets me. Unfortunately though, it will be harder to deal Franklin or Ackley since we now have an abundance of 2nd basemen. Ack can play CF, but isn't top notch.

We'll see what happens in the days to come.

Dodgers have NOONE on their depth chart for 2B and not one prospect in their farm system unless you convert Corey Seager and bring(rush) him up from Rancho Cucamonga. They NEED a 2B more than we need to get rid of one actually.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome Andre Ethier

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, I feel like briwas today. This 10 year deal has me very negative. Give me a a day to process and I will feel better probably.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard somewhere that the final year is only $15 Million
So 9 years at 25 and then a final year at 15.
I think we were all good with 9/225 right?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's been my take on it. I just hope this doesn't turn into what the Angels have gotten out of Albert Pujols.

I still think the M's need to keep spending money and find a way to bring more than just one more bat to town. There's the Napoli rumors, but I would also like to see them get Choo as well and maybe even a lower risk OF like Brennan Boesch or Tyler Colvin. I also wouldn't mind bringing back Morse or Guti and see if either can stay healthy (this is in addition to Choo, not in place of).

Package Franklin, Ackley, Hultzen and two or more lesser prospects for Price. Outside of the bat that Cano provides, LH starting pitcher is the biggest need for the team, and you can't get better than Price.

I would love to see a batting order like this:

LF Colvin
SS Miller
2B Cano
RF Choo
3B Seager
DH Napoli
1B Smoak
CF Saunders
C Zunino

Add that with a Hernandez, Price, Iwakuma, Walker, Paxton rotation and there's some potential there.

Will this happen? Probably not. But I also thought the team would never get Cano either.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's been my take on it. I just hope this doesn't turn into what the Angels have gotten out of Albert Pujols.

I still think the M's need to keep spending money and find a way to bring more than just one more bat to town. There's the Napoli rumors, but I would also like to see them get Choo as well and maybe even a lower risk OF like Brennan Boesch or Tyler Colvin. I also wouldn't mind bringing back Morse or Guti and see if either can stay healthy (this is in addition to Choo, not in place of).

Package Franklin, Ackley, Hultzen and two or more lesser prospects for Price. Outside of the bat that Cano provides, LH starting pitcher is the biggest need for the team, and you can't get better than Price.

I would love to see a batting order like this:

LF Colvin
SS Miller
2B Cano
RF Choo
3B Seager
DH Napoli
1B Smoak
CF Saunders
C Zunino

Add that with a Hernandez, Price, Iwakuma, Walker, Paxton rotation and there's some potential there.

Will this happen? Probably not. But I also thought the team would never get Cano either.
It's being reported that Price isnt coming to Seattle without Walker leaving.....

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard somewhere that the final year is only $15 Million
So 9 years at 25 and then a final year at 15.
I think we were all good with 9/225 right?

I was leary of 9 years as well, but in reality, as has been said before, the M's have to crush other offers to get players to come here. In honesty, even yesterday, I thought this was more a ploy to get the Yankees to move up on the offer and that the Mariners were just a pawn and not a real contender. That, as it turns out, was not really the case, so every aspect of the deal is still surprising to me.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was leary of 9 years as well, but in reality, as has been said before, the M's have to crush other offers to get players to come here. In honesty, even yesterday, I thought this was more a ploy to get the Yankees to move up on the offer and that the Mariners were just a pawn and not a real contender. That, as it turns out, was not really the case, so every aspect of the deal is still surprising to me.

Like I said in another post, I would rather see the mariners throw big money at Cano considering the shitty crop of FA the next couple years. Felix needs a win now mentality and we should have seen the writing on the wall when they signed him to his contract that the Mariners were gonna push for winning in 2014-2015 timeframe. I would much rather see an exciting $100+ million lineup than trot out the same shitty $30-50 million lineup.
Fuck at least try....

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported that Price isnt coming to Seattle without Walker leaving.....
[MEDIA=twitter]409021719026745344[/MEDIA]

I know, I just really don't like it. Not because I don't think Price is worth Walker, but more that I feel that Walker could still give quality years at a low price which would allow the M's to spend money elsewhere. Where Price would come with a lot of money requirements right off the bat and that would make it harder to spend that money elsewhere.

Maybe I'm just not used to the M's spending money like this lately, and would really hate to completely compromise their ability to afford a competitive team by trading players who should be really good but cost relatively little for a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that contract is BACK loaded big time… Cano is a good player but he's 31 years old and no way will he be here for 10 years… And no way is he worth that kinda coin… If your gonna go after a top free agent and pay that kinda money with that length of contract he better be 25 years old or younger… I haven't looked at the specifics but how much is guaranteed ?

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that contract is BACK loaded big time… Cano is a good player but he's 31 years old and no way will he be here for 10 years… And no way is he worth that kinda coin… If your gonna go after a top free agent and pay that kinda money with that length of contract he better be 25 years old or younger… I haven't looked at the specifics but how much is guaranteed ?

you mean front loaded?

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball contracts are 100% guaranteed. Not like football...

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers have NOONE on their depth chart for 2B and not one prospect in their farm system unless you convert Corey Seager and bring(rush) him up from Rancho Cucamonga. They NEED a 2B more than we need to get rid of one actually.

Well when they signed Alexander Guerrero I was under the impression from reports that he would be their 2B but now I'm hearing he's a SS?

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogie asked how the contract was structured, if it was backloaded. Then asked how much is guaranteed. Check thread a few replies back wise guy...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogie asked how the contract was structured, if it was backloaded. Then asked how much is guaranteed. Check thread a few replies back wise guy...

Never seen you or "boogie" on this board before.

I usually just gloss over non-regulars.

My mistake.