• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roberto Garza locked up for next year.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.5 mil contract.......perfect for Garza

C

cubzzzfanincali

I can't exactly say I am thrilled, as you all know I think Garza has degenerated a lot, and I think this is going to be Olin Kreutz redux. But he's coming cheap, so he's got that going for him. Another year of slow pulling on runs and him being totally blown backwards by stronger young DTs.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't exactly say I am thrilled, as you all know I think Garza has degenerated a lot, and I think this is going to be Olin Kreutz redux. But he's coming cheap, so he's got that going for him. Another year of slow pulling on runs and him being totally blown backwards by stronger young DTs.

I agree, I dont know what the number is, but starting centers are in the 4.5 million range. Not sure he took a deal to not see what dollars were out there in free agency.

I am a fan of Boggs, so this is one of those moves that makes you wonder if these are dollars better spent on the d line, but making a big run for it next year I guess keeping the line intact is the best move for the offense. Just need to hear about some defensive players signing.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all he can't see what's out there until march 8th.....

Secondly .....it is $1.5 mil for 1 year

Thirdly....yes, continuity is the key.

Fourthly.....which free agents not named Tillman do you want to hear them sign?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all he can't see what's out there until march 8th.....

Secondly .....it is $1.5 mil for 1 year

Thirdly....yes, continuity is the key.

Fourthly.....which free agents not named Tillman do you want to hear them sign?

The first point was that Garza COULD have seen what was out there but chose not to. I have a feeling if the take it or leave it number was 1.5 million, last year he was at 2.050. He might be beat out in camp anyway.

Second, I didnt see that, the article had no numbers.

Thirdly, continuity is nice, but there could be an upgrade too.

Fourthly, last count we need at least 6 defensive linemen and we are signing more offensive players.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
use your freaking eyes or can't you read?

The first point was that Garza COULD have seen what was out there but chose not to. I have a feeling if the take it or leave it number was 1.5 million, last year he was at 2.050. He might be beat out in camp anyway.

Second, I didnt see that, the article had no numbers.

Thirdly, continuity is nice, but there could be an upgrade too.

Fourthly, last count we need at least 6 defensive linemen and we are signing more offensive players.

Who is Garza supposed to get a contract offer from except the Bears? Its called tampering before march 8.......You should have read the 2nd post.....and you haven't answered #4

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a good that Garza is coming back next year. He had a solid year... Yes he made mistakes, but his play improved from the previous season, particularly with help on both sides with new guards and new tackles. More importantly, the OLine has another season to develop as a unit which will pay dividends for the offense, especially if everyone stays healthy. The one year contract also opens the door for flexibility with a rookie or free agent pick-up.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One year deal, that's fine. As long as he can maintain his level of play from last season. This offense is trying to turn itself into something special right now, and the last thing we need is an aging center that ends up hanging on to his career for dear life. (See Olin Kruetz)

However, I am confident that both Emery and Trestman feel the Garza is in good shape, or else they wouldn't have made the deal. I also like the fact that they're trying to build continuity within the offense and keep guys together. Garza brings a lot of experience and veteran leadership to an otherwise young group.

C

cubzzzfanincali

he's cheap this year. I'm not crying. We need the money elsewhere, and this helps. But he's a stopgap until eventually a new guy comes in. I'm not buying the propaganda about how great he was this year. I watched a lot of Coaches' Film this year and paid a lot of attention to the line, and I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing the great play. Garza was good for a long time, and he is doing the Bears a good service now, and I'm glad he's had a career here, but he's just not that great a center. He;s the weak link on an otherwise pretty good line.

Which, in a way, is a nice thing to be able to say!

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10:
Really not a Garza fan. All this signing tells me, is that Phil wants to concentrate on the D . When it comes to FA & draft.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can say that about most centers

he's cheap this year. I'm not crying.* He is the weak link on an otherwise pretty good line.

Which, in a way, is a nice thing to be able to say!

Someone has to be the weak link.....THANK GOD its not the left or right tackle or the left or right guards. ....

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is Garza supposed to get a contract offer from except the Bears? Its called tampering before march 8.......You should have read the 2nd post.....and you haven't answered #4

look, Guru, he could have waited til march 8th and not signed with the bears to see what the interest was out there. You are so smart but can figure out that seeing what was out there refers to waiting til free agency starts? Seriously?

My guess it was take the lousy 1.5 now or we wont make you an offer.

Garza was a good guard. He is a below average center. My guess is he is in competition with Boggs this year for the starting job.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 1.5 you get someone who can start at center, but can also back up center and back up the Guard spot. Not bad insurance if he's beaten out in camp.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
choose your words wisely

look, Guru, he could have waited til march 8th and not signed with the bears to see what the interest was out there. You are so smart but can figure out that seeing what was out there refers to waiting til free agency starts? Seriously?

My guess it was take the lousy 1.5 now or we wont make you an offer.

Garza was a good guard. He is a below average center. My guess is he is in competition with Boggs this year for the starting job.

You need to explain what you mean then....i will not assume or read your mind

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One year deal, that's fine. As long as he can maintain his level of play from last season. This offense is trying to turn itself into something special right now, and the last thing we need is an aging center that ends up hanging on to his career for dear life. (See Olin Kruetz)

However, I am confident that both Emery and Trestman feel the Garza is in good shape, or else they wouldn't have made the deal. I also like the fact that they're trying to build continuity within the offense and keep guys together. Garza brings a lot of experience and veteran leadership to an otherwise young group.

I'm with you on this one, Rich.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone has to be the weak link.....THANK GOD its not the left or right tackle or the left or right guards. ....

Just curious. Why do you have to have a weak link?
Most chains are built w/ continuity.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe its time to give up the alcohol.

Just curious. Why do you have to have a weak link?
Most chains are built w/ continuity.

Really? So every lineman is as good as each other? So Garza is as good as Bushrod?