• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Risers and Fallers

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Riddick injured his foot in a drill yesterday and had to go in for x-rays. No word yet on the results.

The IR may be a blessing in disguise for him, though. It would allow him to take the year off from playing while healing, learning the offense, working on his speed and strength, building a rapport with Stafford, etc... so he would be far better prepared compete in camp next year.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Sam MArtin can be added to the Risers group.

Sam Martin making booming impression on the Lions | The Detroit News

AWESOME news!! SOme did not like the pick. I liked they got their guy and not a FA. Our punt game sucked last year. Huge part pinning teams deep and not the 20. Our pass rush inside the 5 could be scary!!
WIth the addition of Spurlock over Logan and Martin over Harris/Grahm. ST look much better. (Akers??? not so much)

Plus this may mean Lions have a late round player make team finally
Martin 5th
WIlliams 7th

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked they got their guy and not a FA. Our punt game sucked last year. Huge
part pinning teams deep and not the 20.
This. All of this. 5 stars sir!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll second that!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that Warford is looking fast and Leshoure is 3rd string now.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like LaAdrian Waddle is turning a few heads with his length and quick learning curve.

I read a lot of press about him leading up to the draft concerning how he had the longest arms of all the tackle prospects this year.

Toss in Joe Fauria and Steven Miller and it looks like we did pretty well in the UDFA department this year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the interest of fairness- Theo Riddick got some props from the coaches for the way he's running between the tackles. Nice to see he isn't going to go down without a fight.

Hopefully, if he or Miller (or both) don't make the final 53, we can get both to the practice squad. They both have NFL careers ahead of them, and RB is right up there with CB for the most oft-injured position in the NFL. It'd be great to have these two guys waiting in the wings...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like LaAdrian Waddle is turning a few heads with his length and quick learning curve.

I read a lot of press about him leading up to the draft concerning how he had the longest arms of all the tackle prospects this year.

Toss in Joe Fauria and Steven Miller and it looks like we did pretty well in the UDFA department this year.

Miller looks like he will win the punt return job and Fauria has been the best pass catching TE in camp so far. They will probably both make it if they keep it up.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes my bad I keep thinking Derrick Thomas the ex Chiefs player when I try to remember Taylor. Maybe thats a good omen.

I get him confused with current Chiefs star LB Derrick Johnson, or, rather vice-versa. I have to look Johnson's name up every time because I can only think of Thomas...

Still wish we had drafted Johnson (who went 5 spots later) over Mike Williams. Demarcus Ware with the next pick would have been nice as well. Imagine having either of those two in their prime over the last two or three years, and on this current defense heading into this year. Swap out the open competition at LOLB with one Mr. Derrick Johnson and suddenly we're on the verge of becoming one of the NFL's elite defenses if everything goes right...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There had been a lot of awesome picks after Mike Williams. Ware, Merriman, Jamal Brown, Derick Johnson. All but Johnson have at least one Pro Bowl.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Johnson has made a probowl

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller looks like he will win the punt return job and Fauria has been the best pass catching TE in camp so far. They will probably both make it if they keep it up.

It'll be Miller or Spurlock, imo.

Right now I'd say Spurlock might have the edge based on what I'm reading, but if Miller shows the ability to translate his speed and quickness to offensive production this preseason then he'll likely get the nod based on long-term potential.

Schwartz and Linehan have stated that they like what the Saints do on offense, and that they want to work in some of their concepts into our offense. That gives me every reason to think that Miller will get some looks in the preseason in the "Darren Sproles" role, given the wild success Sproles has had with the Saints over the last two years. He's averaged 6.2 yards per on 135 carries while hauling in 161 receptions.

Let's take a look at how the two stacked up coming out of college:

Darren Sproles: 5'5", 187; 4.47 forty yard dash; 2.62 twenty yard dash; 1.55 10; 23 bench reps; 33" vertical; 105" broad jump; 3.96 twenty yard shuttle; 6.96 three cone

Steven Miller: 5'6", 176; 4.52 forty; 2.59 twenty; 1.57 ten; 15 bench; 43 vertical; 129" broad; 4.19 twenty shuttle; 6.94 three cone

What this tells us is that while both are very short Sproles is more compact, coming in at 11 lbs heavier despite being an inch shorter. That's significant for a RB.

Sproles had a faster official time in the 40, though Miller's time has been reported as low as mid 4.3s, and is usually listed in the mid 4.4 range. Also, camp reports have everyone raving about his speed, so his pro day time may not have been his best effort. If Sproles is faster, it's not by a ton. Both players get up to speed at pretty much the same (very quick) pace- their 20 and 10 yard splits are separated by a couple thousandths of a second.

Sproles is much stronger, busting out 8 more bench reps than Miller. Both have sufficient strength for the position.

Miller has much better jumping abilities- blowing away Sproles in both the vertical and the broad. While jumping, per se, isn't a big skill for a RB, these drills are considered to measure overall explosiveness. Miller's insane 43" vertical shows great short-area burst.

Sproles was quicker when asked to stop and start in the 20 yard shuttle, another significant skill for a RB. However, Miller was a touch quicker through the 3 cone drill, which measures how well they can change direction at high speed.

Overall they are neck and neck in speed and quickness. Miller is the better overall athlete and perhaps more explosive, but Sproles is more compact and stout. Sproles is also the stronger of the two. I think it definitely shows that Miller has the skill-set to fill the "Darren Sproles" role in our offense. That being said it will have to be in a reserve role, because Reggie Bush will get most of the receptions playing the "Reggie Bush" role in our offense. If he goes down at any point, though, having Miller ready to step in would be great...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Researching our 2005 draft made me sad.

I am all for a super athletic guy like Miller, any player that is a threat to go the distance at anytime is a huge plus, we lacked a lot of big play last year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, after Friday's game here's some new risers and fallers:

Risers:
Matt Willis
Shaun Hill
Willie Young

Fallers:
LBs not named Tulloch or Levy
Back-up DBs
Austin Holtz

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just edit the list. Hit quote, then delete the quote boxes and add your guy(s) to the appropriate column...

Risers:
Bill Bentley
Kris Durham
Pat Edwards
Havard Rugland

Fallers:
Mike Thomas
Theo Riddick
Ronnell Lewis

How the hell is Bill Bentley a riser? Dude was looking as bad as he did the beginning of last season. He got burned twice.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Tpaul, didn't see the date this was posted :doh:

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of risers, what about Ziggy tossing aside 3 time pro bowler D. Ferguson to make that tackle for loss?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to say...