• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP David Patten

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CA - 1 San Luis Obispo to Santa Cruz. I could do it in 2 hours flat (back in the day)
Skip to 2 minutes if you don't want to see cattle ranges.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CA - 1 San Luis Obispo to Santa Cruz. I could do it in 2 hours flat (back in the day)
Skip to 2 minutes if you don't want to see cattle ranges.

Epic. I've been in SoCal 15 years and I still haven't gone further up than Santa Barbara on my bike yet but I really want to. That looks amazing.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Epic. I've been in SoCal 15 years and I still haven't gone further up than Santa Barbara on my bike yet but I really want to. That looks amazing.
It is an awesome ride. Give yourself plenty of time if you want to enjoy the views. They are breathtaking.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My last street bike was a Yamaha RD400. Fast and maneuverable - enough that I never got into a wreck.
I could do so much more with that bike than ANY bike available - now or then. Very nimble.
Riding a big heavy bike in traffic scares the hell out of me!

Man, that's a good point. I don't ride so I never even thought about it.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want nimble and control forget street bikes altogether and get you an enduro instead.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ride every single day all year long. Commute 20 miles each way on Rt 5 in Los Angeles where splitting lanes is legal(and fun) and traffic is insane. My opinion is it's always the riders fault. People do stupid fucking shit and the rider has to be ready for it, or don't ride.

And ya, when something does go wrong it doesn't usually bode well for the rider.
Why is that even legal? There must be some logic. Wait, sorry it is California.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that even legal? There must be some logic. Wait, sorry it is California.

It should be legal and I'm incredibly grateful that CA recognizes that. CA ranks #35 in motorcycle deaths out of 50 states where there is WAY more traffic and WAY more people AND we split lanes. We simply ride better here because we're more experienced.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be legal and I'm incredibly grateful that CA recognizes that. CA ranks #35 in motorcycle deaths out of 50 states where there is WAY more traffic and WAY more people AND we split lanes. We simply ride better here because we're more experienced.
Many years ago I had an accident in Orange County in a rental car. A motorcycle clipped the rear view. He was not injured seriously, but me, him and the other car he hit afterwards all had to deal with accident. The traffic was very heavy and for that he was lucky. He was going way faster than the traffic. At the time I did not know that was law. I just thought he was nuts, and in fact I still think so.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not into Indians, Harley's Triumph's or any of the classic road bikes.
My last street bike was a Yamaha RD400. Fast and maneuverable - enough that I never got into a wreck.
I could do so much more with that bike than ANY bike available - now or then. Very nimble.
Riding a big heavy bike in traffic scares the hell out of me!

View attachment 279181
The Indian Scout is 540 wet so it's not a real heavy bike IMO

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEE

Search
Evaluate
Execute

It is the trick for staying alive.
I'd say the trick is to realize when you can't hesitate and when you need to hesitate. You can't drift into a mental zone the way you do with cars.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the trick for staying alive.
If you want to live as long as I have:

Never Forget Where You Are

Especially on a motorcycle.

The only exposure to death equal to a bike is war.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to live as long as I have:

Never Forget Where You Are

Especially on a motorcycle.

The only exposure to death equal to a bike is war.
Any tips for living longer than you have?

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the trick is to realize when you can't hesitate and when you need to hesitate. You can't drift into a mental zone the way you do with cars.

That's what makes the SEE concept so effective in my opinion. You must be aware and have a plan at all times or you shouldn't be riding.

I certainly don't want to come off as cocky because that usually ends in bad news on a bike. I'm simply suggesting to everybody that there are ways of staying as safe as possible.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what makes the SEE concept so effective in my opinion. You must be aware and have a plan at all times or you shouldn't be riding.

I certainly don't want to come off as cocky because that usually ends in bad news on a bike. I'm simply suggesting to everybody that there are ways of staying as safe as possible.
Assume you are invisible
Know where everybody else is around you. You may not have time to look around!
Know what everybody else is doing. A woman with a cellphone can kill you quicker than the Taliban!
Always have an escape route
Know your machine and what it can do.
Don't wait for a panic stop to learn how to make a panic stop!
Always wear a helmet!

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't come off that way at all. I translate what you are saying to two things. Be prepared and be alert. Being prepared for anything then not being alert for that "anything" isn't very useful. Being alert but not knowing what to do when a certain scenario happens isn't very useful either.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any tips for living longer than you have?
I haven't lived longer, so the answer is no.

To live as long as me.....

1. Never jump out of a helicopter at 40-50 feet even if it's about to crash. Even landing in a rice paddy isn't a guarantee.
2. Always have an extra ammo can. 5000 rounds is never enough.
3. Never get so drunk that when you wake up, the woman laying beside you ""IS"" the nightmare you had.