• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Riley against top 10 teams

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that settles it......

Nebraska will now lose all of these games too, because Nebraska and Oregon State are on the same level in terms of resources.

We have nothing more to offer to help Riley than Oregon State did.

It is official. We will become Oregon State. This sucks!!!!
I'm with JJM on this. (because I think he's being sarcastic, at least i hope).

the schedules and level of talent are just so different. Look at Nebraska's schedule for the past 7 years and just say we have greater than or equal talent to how many opponents? Then do the same thing with Oregon State's schedule for the past 7 years.

Now, I'm too lazy to do that, but I did do 2013 and 2014.
imo, Nebraska had 22 games where they had greater than or equal talent (I said both Mich St games and Georgia as the only 3 where we were worse)
Oregon state only had 14 (Oregon, Washington, USC, Stanford, AZ St being the ones that I thought were better).

so in those games Bo was 17/22 in those games or 77%, and Riley was 11/14 or 79%, thus I think Riley might struggle some year 1, but once he gets a going, we aren't going to be any worse than Bo in these games.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then as noted, Riley has a better track record against higher ranked opponents. I just don't see the blowouts occurring with the talent we have, assuming he gets a good DC and running his prostyle offense to eat up clock.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Riley losers to FCS schools...

McNeese state...

Bo does not get any credit for that win.. Abdullah simply put on his superman cape and made the team win despite shit coaches

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon State loses to FCS level programs.

That's just historically what they do.

Because they are FCS level in terms of what they have going for them.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with that said.......it is INCREDIBLE to think that they have beat teams ranked in the top 2 in the country.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley's blowout loses are no different then him and his wins over top ten teams.

Preparation. And not overlooking anyone is the key to success

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a team board...

Do not forget Riley also won 6/8 bowl games he played in. Both the FCS losses came at the beginning of the year, no excuse, but State always has been thin on the o-line and they were not at full strength during those two FCS losses. I always discounted those and gave em a break. You boys can factor those 'Ls" in as you want too. Riley recruits well in Cali and Texas. That should be a plus on your coaches side as well, not to mention Hawaii and the big boys he gathered there as well. With your talent level and depth your new coach will be fine. I always liked Nebraska, I like em even better now.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do not forget Riley also won 6/8 bowl games he played in. Both the FCS losses came at the beginning of the year, no excuse, but State always has been thin on the o-line and they were not at full strength during those two FCS losses. I always discounted those and gave em a break. You boys can factor those 'Ls" in as you want too. Riley recruits well in Cali and Texas. That should be a plus on your coaches side as well, not to mention Hawaii and the big boys he gathered there as well. With your talent level and depth your new coach will be fine. I always liked Nebraska, I like em even better now.

Your Hawaiian player sales pitch won't work on me. No Hawaiian will come to Nebraska.

The only reason Hawaiians go to schools in the PAC 12 is because it is a much, much shorter flight from the west coast, a direct flight also, than it is from Lincoln/Omaha.

No matter what, there will be a connection in either Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, or St. Louis.

From your posts, I know you are all positive on Mike Riley. Good for you. My analytical brain has tried to add up all the numbers but I keep getting 2+2 = 4, I have yet to get 2+2+feel good = 5

Last edited by a moderator:

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're welcome to post some insight from Oregon State...I know I appreciate it :suds:

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1

You're welcome to post some insight from Oregon State...I know I appreciate it :suds:

What he ^^ said. Thanks. :suds:

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wrong about losing the first game of the season

Mike Riley was 7-5 in season openers since 2004

season openers
WINS
2014 Portland State
2012 Wisconsin (finished 8-6)
2009 Portland State
2007 Utah (finished 9-4)
2006 Eastern Washington
2005 Portland State
2003 Sacramento State

LOSSES
2013 Eastern Washington
2011 Sacramento State
2010 TCU
2008 Stanford
2004 LSU

If memory servers me right 1985 was the last time Nebraska lost a season opener.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ditto from me. Please keep posting. But realize I am probably the biggest Negative Nancy on this hire.

I will say things that will ruffle your feathers, but I respect your opinions.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wrong about losing the first game of the season

Mike Riley was 7-5 in season openers since 2004

season openers
WINS
2014 Portland State
2012 Wisconsin (finished 8-6)
2009 Portland State
2007 Utah (finished 9-4)
2006 Eastern Washington
2005 Portland State
2003 Sacramento State

LOSSES
2013 Eastern Washington
2011 Sacramento State
2010 TCU
2008 Stanford
2004 LSU

If memory servers me right 1985 was the last time Nebraska lost a season opener.

We lost to ASU in 96 at home..... Jake plumber.....

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ditto from me. Please keep posting. But realize I am probably the biggest Negative Nancy on this hire.

I will say things that will ruffle your feathers, but I respect your opinions.

Those are fair statements and you should question your new hire at your storied program. I always said Riley took the players nobody else wanted and turned them into 5star players by career end. I can only imagine what Riley will do with Husker talent. I listen to State players response yesterday about Riley leaving, they all had nothing but good wishes for Mike. He leaves an impact on young men both on and off the field. That is a huge plus for your school right there and a game hasn't even been played yet with Riley roaming the sidelines.

In game? Riley knows the game well as his resume shows. Will be interesting to see what assistants he brings along.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost to ASU in 96 at home..... Jake plumber.....

That wasn't the season opener and it wasn't at home either. The game was in Phoenix and we opened the season in 96 with a 55-14 home victory over Michigan St......awww the good old days when we owned Michigan St......

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that settles it......

Nebraska will now lose all of these games too, because Nebraska and Oregon State are on the same level in terms of resources.

We have nothing more to offer to help Riley than Oregon State did.

It is official. We will become Oregon State. This sucks!!!!

:pout:

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That wasn't the season opener and it wasn't at home either. The game was in Phoenix and we opened the season in 96 with a 55-14 home victory over Michigan St......awww the good old days when we owned Michigan St......

Michigan State wasn't very good back then.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Storm clouds in your Unicorns and Rainbows feelings.

I will concede that Riley had some big wins. Will you concede that Riley had some really bad losses?

I want the coach that wins the easy wins and can win some big wins. Preferably all of the big ones in a season, but at this point I will take some big wins. Just don't lose the easy ones.

We all know Bo could win the easy wins. Can Riley?

Blowout loss is a loss of 21 or more

Losing seasons in 2010, 2011, and 2014

2014 season 5-7
Lost to California(5-7)
Lost to Washington State (3-9)
Blowout losses to USC, Stanford, Washington, Oregon

2013 season 7-6
lost to Eastern Washington of the FCS
blowout losses to Washington

2012 season 9-4
A good year, beat Wisconsin, lost to Texas in the bowl game
blowout loss to Oregon

2011 season 3-9
lost to Sacramento State of the FCS
Blowout losses WIsconsin, Stanford, Oregon

2010 season 5-7
blowout loss to Stanford

What does that give us?

A coach that finished 29-33 over the last five years

A coach that is guaranteed to have one blowout loss each year, averages two blowouts per year

A coach that is guaranteed to lose at least four games each year

2 losses to the FCS

Two or more losses to teams with a losing record. You have to assume that when you go 3-9 and 5-7 those seasons had losses to teams with losing records. I will look those up when I have time.

I have no idea why facilities mean so much.

Texas has great facilities and access to a rich talent base, look what they are doing.

Florida has great facilities and access to a rich talent base, look what they are doing.

Michigan has great facilities, look what they are doing.

Kansas State has crap facilities but they have Bill Snyder.
North Dakota State has crap facilities and even worse weather, look what they did.
Wisconsin Whitewater has crap facilities and bad weather, look what they did.
Duke is a basketball school, probably does not have great facilities for the football team. Look what they are doing.
Memphis, good god, have you ever been to Memphis? Armpit of Tennessee.

Colorado State, Northern Illinois, Marshall, blah blah blah.

The answer is coaching.

There is nothing in Riley's resume that tells me he is a winner. But he is a nice guy.

Jiminy Christmas!!

Imagine Nebraska losing to an FCS team? Won't happen now, but now Nebraska could lose to Purdue, Southern Mississippi, Kent State, Colorado, Georgia State.

BINGO! I just can't get the thought of this being a really bad hire out of my head.