• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rhetoric recruiting rant

fredmelmackian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
as the title states- this post is rhetoric and need not be responded to (since i'm the author of this thread, it may not be read by some anyways :D ).

signing day. some signed. some didn't. so what!

marlon lucky. zac bowman. andre jones.

5 star recruits all.

lucky- never reached his so-called potential. great against also rans. mediocre against decent competition. at times- not even the best back on the team.

bowman- had 1 decent year. sure this guy is on an nfl roster. so what. sure he had injuries- guess what? part of the game and too bad so sad. the fact is he was never the best cb on team. if he were healthy......if my aunt had a unit.

jones- sorry- can't find a positive except he was positively lost.

5 stars all- all were well under what the recruiting gurus predicted.

let's throw in arguably the most hyped 4 star star recruit, steve octavien. had a couple of decent games. had massive speed (massive speed??- oh well lets move on). what did he use his speed for most of the time? after the whistle, he would come streaking into camera view and act like he was coming in to make a play. hey- there's steve!

the point? it don't matter who and what star ranking of any particular player who may or may not have signed today. there are no guarantees.

what does matter is if these players are the right fit for the team. no one is taking into account that coach pelini may have felt that owa was not the right fit for the team (and not because some think he's a prima donna).

what is signing day? internet recruiting guru's big day of the year. for the coaching staff- it's just a formality. the real work begins tomorrow.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It makes me wonder how much better those players, especially the defensive players, would have been under our present staff?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ +1 ^^^

fredmelmackian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It makes me wonder how much better those players, especially the defensive players, would have been under our present staff?

that's part of the luck of the draw. woulda coulda shoulda. there's an old epsn commercial with tom jackson and he asks a group of people something like what could have helped the steelers beat the cowboys in the super bowl after the '95 season? the people came up with some very exotic answers. tom jackson said something simple like- "neil o'donnell should not have thrown that interception".
circumstances are what they are. would texas tech have had their success without leach? what about oklahoma without stoops?
jones was pretty lost- i'm not sure even coach pelini could have helped. i'm not sure octavien gets recruited by coach pelini. and in bowman's case- if you're hurt you're hurt and it would be tough for any coach to overcome that. lucky is offense and coach pelini wouldn't be able to help him. lol.