• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RG3 & Mike

Blunt8384

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is it exactly that caused this rift between RG3 and Shanahan?

Is it because Mike allowed Griffen to play in the playoffs last year after the doctor cleared him and RG3 begged the coach to let him play? Is it because RG3 campained "all in for week 1" all off season and the coach allowed him to play week 1, even though he probably knew better? All to please the young QB. Is it because he allowed RG3 to start 13 weeks in a row while he "worked off the rust", all while we continued to stack up losses? Was it because he didn't do anything to discipline the young QB when he told the media the Eagles seamed to know every play that was coming? Basically throwing the coaches under the bus. Or maybe its because Mike wanted to critique the young QB in the meeting room for instructional purposes? Wait, I forgot they didn't do that at Baylor. Snyder get me Art Briles I can't deal with Shanahan anymore.

Does anyone really want our favorite team to be led by a player that wants things to by easier and more comfortable for him? RG3 came in to town throwing out phrases like, "no pressure no diamonds", right?

If you guys think coddling this young QB will bring this town Superbowls think again. I am not off of the RG3 bandwagon completely but he has to be developed the right way. If he is petulant and insolent toward the coach, whoever that may be then he should be benched. Rewarding poor behavior will not help the team, it divides it.

If RG3 gets his way God help us, because he will be above discipline and the Redskins will never be able to develop his talent.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been Dan's style though over the years he has been an owner. Whether it was Bruce Smith, Arrington, Portis or Griffin. He becomes enamoured with a particular player and wants to hang out with them. He has done this since he has owned the team and it has never played out well. It is why this team will never be good as long as he is the owner.

Many of us and I was leading the charge thought he had finally let a coach (football person) who was competent run the team. We were wrong. It almost always turns out badly in the end.

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't believe the hype. We've heard a lot of things over the last couple of weeks, and not much we've seen or heard seems to be playing out in DC the way it's reported on these ESPN sports panels. 'NFL Live' has become 'The View', or the 'Entertainment Tonight' of sports journalism.

Last edited by a moderator:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the rift started after the Seattle loss and RG3's injury. Clearly Shanahan made a mistake in leaving RG3 in. But RG3 was adamant he was OK and we all saw him in the press conference after the game saying he gave the team the best chance to win.......yeah, right. Anyway, RG3 was as responsible for him staying in as much as Shanahan.

Fast forward a few months and RG3's tune has changed a bit. When asked about the game, he intimated that "everyone knew what happened and who was at fault" slyly deflecting some of the blame. Of course the press took as a hit on shanahan. This was my first clue that we may have a problem. Then, his dad comes out and basically blasts shanahan and the staff. His dad is entitled to his opinion, but RG3 was silent in refuting the claim or supporting the coaching staff. Again, another clue. If we know anything about Shanahan, he does not like insubordination and it appears that's where RG3 is headed. Fast forward a few more months into the end of the preseason. When RG3 is asked about if he is playing week 1,he states that shanahan has "promised" him he would start. So now RG3 has boxed Mike in concerning his all in for week one campaign. He clearly did that to send a message. Mike must have begun to waiver on RG3's readiness for week 1.

So this is where it went south. Two big egos (3 if you count Dan) in a clash of control. Mike is not without fault. He should have never let it get to here. But he doesn't handle situations like this well at all. His communication skills suck. Dan could have handled it, but his personal skills also suck. RG3, fueled by his Dad I believe, was the darling of the city and became a diva thinking he called the shots. And he did because no one directly opposed him. This situation needs to change or we are in for more of the same, no matter who the HC is.

Blunt8384

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the only coach beloved enough in this town with enough respect from Dan Snyder would have been Joe Gibbs.He had the interpersonal skills to take control of the situation. That being said very few coaches (if any) could have controlled the fiasco between player and owner. It is a very tough situation to control. Lovie Smith certainly is not going to control it. If Shanahan could not then who could?

I just really believe in my heart it sets a terrible president to give in to RG3's demands. I don't think the coach should have to bend over backwards to please him and I don't think pleasing him is in the best interest of his long term development. Right now if Shanahan were to come back RG3 would have to eat a big slice of humble pie or sit on the bench, and that's exactly what the kid needs if we ever want him to become that great QB. The unifying force is that Shanahan, Dan and RG3 all want to win! So I believe Shanahan would give RG3 every opportunity to be the starter because of his special talent.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with shanahan is he doesn't handle conflict well. It's all or nothing with him. The first thing I would have done was put a stop to the daily RG3 press conferences in preseason. The second thing should have been to have a sit down with RG3 and Kyle to clear the air and set expectations and understandings going forward as soon as I had a hint of a problem from the RG3 camp. Then I would have had a sit down with Dan to reconfirm his commitment to me and to re-enforce that RG3 reports to me. Finally, I would have blocked RG JR from any direct access. Mike owes RG3's dad nothing.

I believe that RG3's dad may be the ultimate problem. RG3 needs to get some veteran players or ex skins (Green, Monk, etc) as a mentor. His inner circle seems to be his dad and agent. they do not necessarily have the best interest of the franchise in mind, they have the best interest of RG3 in mind.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with shanahan is he doesn't handle conflict well. It's all or nothing with him. The first thing I would have done was put a stop to the daily RG3 press conferences in preseason. The second thing should have been to have a sit down with RG3 and Kyle to clear the air and set expectations and understandings going forward as soon as I had a hint of a problem from the RG3 camp. Then I would have had a sit down with Dan to reconfirm his commitment to me and to re-enforce that RG3 reports to me. Finally, I would have blocked RG JR from any direct access. Mike owes RG3's dad nothing.

I believe that RG3's dad may be the ultimate problem. RG3 needs to get some veteran players or ex skins (Green, Monk, etc) as a mentor. His inner circle seems to be his dad and agent. they do not necessarily have the best interest of the franchise in mind, they have the best interest of RG3 in mind.

Every time I read that RGJR is hanging in the locker room I shake my head in amazement that it is happening, then I smirk with amusement. The Organization has to end this NOW. An occasional visit is fine, but RGJR is there almost as much as the paid staff. Maybe the should just employ the RGJR as a towel boy. Hell he's there enough he may as well help the team out.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he is almost like an Earl Woods. He has directed every thing Robert has done to date. The problem is he can't let go. His son is now grown and in a pro yet he is still there, telling the franchise how to use his son. He was a positive influence in RG3's formative years, no doubt. But he needs to back away and let RG3 and the professionals take over.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he is almost like an Earl Woods. He has directed every thing Robert has done to date. The problem is he can't let go. His son is now grown and in a pro yet he is still there, telling the franchise how to use his son. He was a positive influence in RG3's formative years, no doubt. But he needs to back away and let RG3 and the professionals take over.

I agree. However I hope he never lets go. I'm sure you'll understand.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. However I hope he never lets go. I'm sure you'll understand.

Be careful what you hope for. We may trade RG Jr and Rg3 to you for Sean Lee and his Orthopedic Surgeon :suds:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be careful what you hope for. We may trade RG Jr and Rg3 to you for Sean Lee and his Orthopedic Surgeon :suds:

OK you got a laugh out of me. That was funny and a great retort. But it we traded for RG3 I think we'd have to keep the Dr. I can't believe our two fan bases haven't completely gone off the deep end. Of course reading our two pages I think some are ready to be committed.