• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rey's Post Free Agency Eagles' Mock

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-Mock Disclaimer

** Looks like there's a good chance the Eagles keep WR Alshon Jeffery on the roster this season. As long as he and Carson are ok with things, it doesn't make any sense to cut him as you don't save any money and nobody is going to trade for him with his salary and health questions. He's likely to start the season on IR for the first 4 games, but he's a vet who knows the Offense and can step right in and contribute in the 2nd half of the season if need be. This is very likely the last year we will keep Alshon and DJax as we save around 13 Mil in 2021 by releasing them. Who knows, maybe we have a better shot at trading Alshon at the trade-deadline if he gets back to full health.

** I also think in the end we bring back LT Jason Peters as we still need depth on the Line. I don't think Peters wants to start again somewhere else at this point in his career and the Eagles still have plenty of money to pay him handsomely as a backup. Dillard will be the clear cut starter, but Peters will return as insurance.

Rd 1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
** The Eagles will take more than 1 WR in this draft, so in Rd 1 they take the safest WR on the board which is a player who you can start Day 1 in the slot. Jefferson simply has no weaknesses that I can see … great hands, ability to absorb contact and still come up with the catch, great at finding open spaces, excellent Red Zone threat, solid speed. He's not a “sexy” pick like one of the top 3 WR's in this draft are, but his floor is extremely high. I see him as Keenan Allen … a reliable 1000+ yard receiver who will get you 6-8 TD's per season. Jefferson can also play outside as well if need be, so it's not like you're drafting a receiver you have to pigeon hole to one spot … you can move him around depending on match-ups. QB Joe Burrow completed 82.8% of the passes thrown Jefferson's way, that was the highest rate in college football this past year. If you throw it Jefferson's way, he'll gobble it up.

Rd 2 via trade up: Jaylon Johnon CB Utah
*** Birds trade CB Rasul Douglas & 5th Rd pick to move up 8-10 spots

** The Birds have done a really nice job of upgrading the 2ndary, but still don't have an established #2 Outside Corner. Avonte Maddox is solid, but he's 5'9” and is better suited for the nickel Corner role or backup Safety; Sidney Jones made some decent plays down the stretch last year, but other than that hasn't made much of an impact and hasn't been able to play through injuries. He has yet to show the promise he showed in college prior to the big injury (he's also an UFA in 2021). Trevor Williams is a wild card at best. Johnson has potential to develop into a starting Corner as he gives you size (6'0” 193 lbs), 4.5 flat speed, 37” Vert and great anticipation skills. With Rasul Douglas likely out the door via trade, JJ steps right into the mix to compete for a starting spot opposite Darius Slay.

Rd 3 via trade up: Devin Duvernay WR Texas
** Eagles trade one of their 4th round picks and a 4th round pick in 2021 to move up into the early 3rd.
** I don't think Duvernay makes it to the late 3rd , so the Eagles move up to snag some speed. Duvernay is built like a RB and needs to work on his route running, but the kid has some jets and can play inside or out. Much like our 1st round pick Justin Jefferson you line him up depending on match-ups, but he can give you that explosive big play we lacked in 2019 from anywhere on the field. He can separate very well from his defender with the ball in the air; Carson should be very happy with the WR additions in this draft.

Rd 4: Logan Wilson LB Wyoming
In today's NFL your LB'ers better have good instincts and they better be able to drop back and cover. Wilson has both “and” he's a solid athlete to boot. Out of all the Backers I watched tape on, Wilson reads the QB's eyes better than most I saw. He's also quick and decisive, yet patient to not over-run plays or get faked out by runners. You can move Wilson around between MIKE and SAM as you can keep him in for all 3 downs. The Eagles don't invest much at the position, so I think this is about the earliest we look at the position and Wilson could be a good one who's game translates very well to the next level.

Rd 4: Nick Harris OC Washington
** Great Wrestler type Center with elite balance. This kid will twist and turn defenders once he gets his hands on them and simply out balance them. Pretty agile player as well running a 5.1 at over 300 lbs. With Kelce threatening retirement almost on a yearly basis, we need to groom a player who can eventually take over. Harris moves very well laterally and gets to the 2nd level quickly; he's not a guy who's going to drive back blockers with leg power … but that was also the knock on Kelce early in his career and he improved that leg drive as time went on.

Rd 4: Traded

Rd 5: Traded

Rd 6: Michael Warren II RB Cincinnati
They call this kid “TRUCK” and it's well deserved. Thick lower body, excellent hands out of the backfield and he's a player who can drag bodies through a hole. He can compliment Miles Sanders and Boston Scott in a closer/goal-line role. Shifty feet through the hole as well for a power Back; could step in as a 20 touch player if anything ever happened to Miles.

Summary:
** We ended up with 4 Offensive players in the draft as opposed to just 2 Defensive players, but this is what I expect as we focused free agency on the Defensive side.

** Adding 2 WR's like Jefferson and Duvernay who can play either inside or outside should give the Birds a ton of flexibility to play match-ups. With DeSean coming back, Ward establishing himself a bit and JJAW hopefully learning from his rookie year … we should have enough help to compliment our stud TE's Ertz and Goedert.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good report Rey. Jaylon Johnson recently had labrum surgery, but should be fine, with the anticipated late start of the season. He's a tenacious defender. All your picks are well thought of. If the Eagles decide to draft a Lb'er, Wilson is a very solid player. Duvernay reminds me a little bit of my favorite receiver, Shenault, as he attacks the defense. Jefferson is a solid choice. I still would rather move up for one of the top 3 though.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson's labrum injury should no longer an issue, he even got 15 reps of 225 which is very good even for a Corner who's 100%.

I think the Eagles will try to move up for one of those top 3 WR's, but so will many other teams ... I think the asking price in the end may be too high. I don't see any teams from 11-15 other than Tampa at 14 willing to trade with us because they themselves may want one of those 3 and all 3 may already be gone by that Tampa pick anyhow. The only sure-fire way to land one of those 3 would be Cleveland at 10, but to get up that high you will probably lose both your 2nd and 3rd if not more. Using my Mock for simplicity that would mean you are trading Justin Jefferson, Jaylon Johnson and Devin Duvernay for one of those top 3 receivers. Would it be worth it?

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We traded up for someone else's 2nd round (Birds trade CB Rasul Douglas & 5th Rd pick to move up 8-10 spots) what happened to our own 2nd rounder?
I don't think Douglas and a 5th will get you a 2nd, ever.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We traded up for someone else's 2nd round (Birds trade CB Rasul Douglas & 5th Rd pick to move up 8-10 spots) what happened to our own 2nd rounder?
I don't think Douglas and a 5th will get you a 2nd, ever.

When you trade up, the other teams gets your original spot. So we trade our 2nd, Rasul and our 5th. I didn't say we traded just Rasul and a 5th for that pick.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Duvernay as a piece for Doug. Might have to take him in the 2nd. Kid can run and be a weapon with the ball in his hands around end, on screens, or other imaginative ways Doug gets him the ball.

I worry a little bit about Jefferson being a product of that system. They tried to get him open, he didn't have to get himself open as much.

It's also easy to find guys for the slot. Why spend a first round pick on one?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Logan Wilson, he'd be a perfect fit here.

Reactions: Rey

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Duvernay as a piece for Doug. Might have to take him in the 2nd. Kid can run and be a weapon with the ball in his hands around end, on screens, or other imaginative ways Doug gets him the ball.

I worry a little bit about Jefferson being a product of that system. They tried to get him open, he didn't have to get himself open as much.

The reason I'm high on Jefferson is because he adjusts to the ball when it's in the air better than most receivers I've watched coming into the league. He also never stops working to come back to the QB ... he's a relentless worker. I think he's a complete receiver who can work out of the slot "or" outside ... LSU used him out of the slot this past season because they had Ja'Marr Chase working the outside, but I don't think he's "just" a slot receiver as he has the size and decent speed to work outside as well. If he were a 5'9" slot only guy I would agree, you don't take him at 21.

I also love Arizona State's Brandon Aiyuk if we look more at an outside guy in Rd 1. People have dinged him a bit for running a 4.5 flat, but if you go by the tape ... the dude gets great separation and burns defenders with explosion. That's why you can't go just by 40 speed ... you can use Denzel Mims as an example; the dude posted a 4.38 40 with a phenomenal 3 Cone time yet if you look at the tape he always has defenders draped all over him (and that's his highlight film). The only time I see Mims get away from defenders is when they fall down or loose their balance ... so I'm nowhere near as high on him as everyone else seems to be.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I'm high on Jefferson is because he adjusts to the ball when it's in the air better than most receivers I've watched coming into the league. He also never stops working to come back to the QB ... he's a relentless worker. I think he's a complete receiver who can work out of the slot "or" outside ... LSU used him out of the slot this past season because they had Ja'Marr Chase working the outside, but I don't think he's "just" a slot receiver as he has the size and decent speed to work outside as well. If he were a 5'9" slot only guy I would agree, you don't take him at 21.

I also love Arizona State's Brandon Aiyuk if we look more at an outside guy in Rd 1. People have dinged him a bit for running a 4.5 flat, but if you go by the tape ... the dude gets great separation and burns defenders with explosion. That's why you can't go just by 40 speed ... you can use Denzel Mims as an example; the dude posted a 4.38 40 with a phenomenal 3 Cone time yet if you look at the tape he always has defenders draped all over him (and that's his highlight film). The only time I see Mims get away from defenders is when they fall down or loose their balance ... so I'm nowhere near as high on him as everyone else seems to be.
I like Aiyuk. Good speed and gets himself open.

You reminded me that college WRs that aren't the best WR on their college teams are always more risky. Jefferson had one year of real prime production and he did it from an easy spot in a ridiculous offense.
I can't take another JJ Whiteside insignificant receiver with my 1st pick.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Aiyuk as much as I like Jefferson, for the same reasons that you said. I don't mind trading places at 21, I just don't want to wait until the 3rd round to make another pick, although Ruggs definitely tempts me. Too bad we can't just swap a 1st and a 4th to get one of the prime guys. It is a dilemma. I like the idea of going WR, CB, and WR, and go from there.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey, I'm not even kidding when I say this but I was going to do a mock where we took Jefferson in the first, traded up for a cornerback in round 2 (this was the only guy I hadn't decided who to select yet), traded up for Duvernay (he'd be a 3rd round impactful player), and drafted Logan Wilson in the 4th round. I just got hip to Logan this past week when I got laid off. I saw this mock and went,"No freaking way!" Obviously I like it!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi L.A., what kind of work are you looking for, or are you going back the old job when this clears up?
Thoughts and prayers for you and others who are in the same boat!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey, I'm not even kidding when I say this but I was going to do a mock where we took Jefferson in the first, traded up for a cornerback in round 2 (this was the only guy I hadn't decided who to select yet), traded up for Duvernay (he'd be a 3rd round impactful player), and drafted Logan Wilson in the 4th round. I just got hip to Logan this past week when I got laid off. I saw this mock and went,"No freaking way!" Obviously I like it!

Haha ... Mind meld ...

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree 100%

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi L.A., what kind of work are you looking for, or are you going back the old job when this clears up?
Thoughts and prayers for you and others who are in the same boat!

I've been doing kitchens and bathrooms (tile) for almost 25 years. Hoping to be back at it mid April to May is what I was told for now. Last time it was this bad, I had to go out of town for work but at least I got to meet Wings, Stankfinger, and a bunch of other great Eagles fans. That was the year we drafted Shady. Right before I left the party, I told Wings my 2nd round choice was McCoy but I doubted he would drop that far lol. Thanks for the prayers man! :thumb:

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jefferson has been compared to Keenan Allen. I think that's a fair comparison. He knows how to attack the football and is very reliable. His forty time should squash questions about his speed. I'm not super huge on 40 times but he weighed in at more than 200 pounds and did not have an ideal start so I came away impressed with his low 4.4 time. I would be shocked to see him fall out of the first round.

Last edited:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just get fucking Jeudy from Alabama please. Thank you.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just get fucking Jeudy from Alabama please. Thank you.

Out of the top 3 this year, I have Jeudy as the top dog. His route running and stop/go ability is insane ... plus he has that deep speed as well to take the top off a defense. I can absolutely see the scenario where the Eagles move up to 9 or 10 to snag him if they feel confident they can survive without a 2nd and 3rd round pick (may even cost an extra pick in 2021). Add Jeudy, re-sign Ertz to a new deal to make him happy and you are set moving forward. 12 Personnel with Jeudy racking up 13-1400 yards per season with 10+ TD's. DJax would have all kinds of room to work the other side of the field. You can still get our LB in Rd 4 in this scenario (as per my Mock) and you'd hope one of the Corners you currently have can step up in that #2 role opposite Slay.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jefferson has been compared to Keenan Allen. I think that's a fair comparison. He knows how to attack the football and is very reliable. His forty time should squash questions about his speed. I'm not super huge on 40 times but he weighed in at more than 200 pounds and did not have an ideal start so I came away impressed with his low 4.4 time. I would be shocked to see him fall out of the first round.
I'm probably the biggest Keenan Allen fan on this planet. Keenan produced in college with crap QBs. Keenan gets himself wide open with sweet routes and then soft hands. Keenan was also a 3rd round pick, not a 1st rounder.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25 more days!! Can we possibly wait that long? We have dissected all the possibilities. Bottom line is, if we gt one of the top 3 prime time players (WR), we'll be fine. I think that's what Howie, and the gang, had in mind with 10 picks. Now with 3 and 5 gone, extra picks, they may be more conservative with the picks. We'll see, and have a lot of dream scenarios until then. :lol: