• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Revisiting the 16 team playoff realignment

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously schedules would have to be balanced out for this to work, but I still don't understand why a change hasn't been made yet. There are no more "great" rivalries in the NBA, divisions literally mean nothing. No one cares about division titles.

It's all about the playoffs. And putting the 16 best teams in makes the most sense. Unlike the NFL, the NBA has no need for conferences & divisions.

Here's what it would look like:

1) Golden State Warriors vs. 16) Oklahoma City Thunder

8) Toronto Raptors vs. 9) Chicago Bulls

4) Houston Rockets vs. 13) Milwaukee Bucks

5) Memphis Grizzlies vs. 12) Phoenix Suns

------------------------------------------------------------

2) Atlanta Hawks vs. 15) New Orleans Pelicans

7) Washington Wizards vs. 10) Los Angeles Clippers

3) Portland Trail Blazers vs. 14) Cleveland Cavaliers

6) Dallas Mavericks vs. 11) San Antonio Spurs

While the matchups would certainly change as the year went along (OKC wouldn't be at 16, more balanced schedule would lower some East teams, etc) these matchups would be MUCH more entertaining IMO.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously schedules would have to be balanced out for this to work, but I still don't understand why a change hasn't been made yet. There are no more "great" rivalries in the NBA, divisions literally mean nothing. No one cares about division titles.

It's all about the playoffs. And putting the 16 best teams in makes the most sense. Unlike the NFL, the NBA has no need for conferences & divisions.

Here's what it would look like:

1) Golden State Warriors vs. 16) Oklahoma City Thunder

8) Toronto Raptors vs. 9) Chicago Bulls

4) Houston Rockets vs. 13) Milwaukee Bucks

5) Memphis Grizzlies vs. 12) Phoenix Suns

------------------------------------------------------------

2) Atlanta Hawks vs. 15) New Orleans Pelicans

7) Washington Wizards vs. 10) Los Angeles Clippers

3) Portland Trail Blazers vs. 14) Cleveland Cavaliers

6) Dallas Mavericks vs. 11) San Antonio Spurs

While the matchups would certainly change as the year went along (OKC wouldn't be at 16, more balanced schedule would lower some East teams, etc) these matchups would be MUCH more entertaining IMO.

Explain why the NFL needs divisions and Conf but other sports don't please

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other sports? This is me talking about the NBA and NFL only. Just used that as an example... scheduling would be a nightmare and with 32 teams rather than 30 in the NFL it would make things hectic if they tried to divide things up. There are still some division-rivalries alive and well in the NFL. If it ain't broke don't fix it. And this is coming from a fan with a team stuck in one of the best divisions in football.

NFL playoffs work just fine (though I'd still prefer teams below .500 to never host a playoff game) but as far as the formatting goes, it's almost perfect. The NBA parity is HORRIBLE. And could be for the next 3-4 years, too. Adjustments need to be made, but I'm sure fans in the EC would be against this and I don't blame you, because I would love walking into the playoffs too.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you not want the best 16 teams to make the playoffs? I like watching quality basketball whether it be my team playing or not. This doesn't have anything to do with the Suns either. The league needs to make a change because the parity is so, so bad right now. This would be a long term fix.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In no professional sport does the best 10,12, or 16 teams ever all make the playoffs.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In no professional sport does the best 10,12, or 16 teams ever all make the playoffs.

And it's a real possibility that it could happen in the NBA in the near future. Which is exciting. It's almost embarrassing how unbalanced the NBA is right now. Not only would this fix it now but long-term we wouldn't have to worry about the West or East being the "terrible conference".

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO how about having 8 teams from each conference make it and then re seed for the playoffs

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My only guess is TV contracts. CBS is exclusive carrier of AFC games and Fox has the NFC. Other than that I have no idea. I actually like Divisions and Conferences more than just taking the top 16.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Silver open to changing playoff structure

As long as they balance the schedule and get rid of divisions... it makes sense to me. Travel isn't the concern it was 20 years ago.

The only argument against it I see would be the line-in-the-sand it would put in the history of the NBA (similar to the shot clock). I don't know if that's a good enough reason not to do something that makes so much sense.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too many teams make the playoffs anyways. I really don't care if the bottom of the west gets screwed out of not getting in