• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Request for International vs US-born FT% in NBA

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On NBA.com and ESPN, you can filter player stats for international players.

However, is there an easier way to get the average FT% for international players in the NBA and compare it against national, or US-born, players? Then do this for say, the past 5 years?

Thank you.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know of a site that will automatically aggregate and total it for you, but the cool thing about bbref (linked above by @tducey) is that you can easily export to .csv or excel, where you can then easily total columns.

I just did that for the past 5 seasons, and it only took a few minutes.

Here is a link to the bbref query to find the FT and FTA for all US players over the past 5 seasons. I limited it to players who have taken at least 200 FT over those 5 seasons (you can easily change that value)... there were 260 qualifying players.

Here is a link to the bbref query to find the FT and FTA for all International players over the past 5 seasons. Again, I limited it to players who have taken at least 200 FT over those 5 seasons... there were 77 qualifying players.

Here is a link to the spreadsheet where I imported the data from those links. I just summed the FT and FTA columns to get the total percentages for each group.

Results:
Over the past 5 years, qualifying US-born players went 134,053 / 175,790 from the line.
Over the past 5 years, qualifying internationlly-born players went 33,832 / 45,270 from the line.

US: 76.257%
International: 74.734%

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know of a site that will automatically aggregate and total it for you, but the cool thing about bbref (linked above by @tducey) is that you can easily export to .csv or excel, where you can then easily total columns.

I just did that for the past 5 seasons, and it only took a few minutes.

Here is a link to the bbref query to find the FT and FTA for all US players over the past 5 seasons. I limited it to players who have taken at least 200 FT over those 5 seasons (you can easily change that value)... there were 260 qualifying players.

Here is a link to the bbref query to find the FT and FTA for all International players over the past 5 seasons. Again, I limited it to players who have taken at least 200 FT over those 5 seasons... there were 77 qualifying players.

Here is a link to the spreadsheet where I imported the data from those links. I just summed the FT and FTA columns to get the total percentages for each group.

Results:
Over the past 5 years, qualifying US-born players went 134,053 / 175,790 from the line.
Over the past 5 years, qualifying internationlly-born players went 33,832 / 45,270 from the line.

US: 76.257%
International: 74.734%

Thank you, sir.
Good catch with using the exportable data from BBref.

I would have expected international FT% to be higher than US based on fundamentals, so this was an interesting surprise.