• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remaining cap space

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So at this point we $8.3 million remaining (according to Over the Cap). This is without Lynch's situation being figured in as he has not filed retirement papers.

A pre-June 1st release of Lynch would free up $6.5 million which brings it up to $14.8 million.

But this is before other factors are considered. Leave about $3 million for IR, $1 million for practice squad, maybe an additional $1 million for any cuts.

If the Seahawks release Lynch post June 1st, then the dead money is spread over 2 years at $2.5 million instead of 1 year at $5 million.

I am not sure exactly how much the draft will cost the Seahawks. Maybe $3.5-4 million?

So depending on the Lynch contract situation, a rough estimate of actual remaining cap space including the signing of draft picks and additional money the actual remaining cap space is in the $6 to 8 million range. I am assuming that this can be used on 2-4 veteran players, maybe post June 1st cuts or possibly even later.

If the Seahawks decide to eat all of Lynch's dead cap hit this year, it puts the team in better position financial position for next year. Also, they could leave the extra cap space alone and roll it over into next year but I don't necessarily see the benefit of doing this on a "win now" team unless there are really no options available for improvement.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cost of the draft for the Seahawks is estimated to be $6 million according to Spotrac. Don't forget extending Doug Baldwin, before his contract is due.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, but does Michael Bennett deserve a kiss?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also don't forget most teams like to keep about $3-5 million available in case of injuries happening during the season.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IR was covered in the equation, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I didn't realize the draft was estimated at $6 million. That seems a bit high. I know the first rounder will get $1.2 million. All others will get less than a mil and most will get minimum. Also several will not make the team.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from spotrac:

4f9987c9-6e64-4a65-a55f-576ff944a7f7.png

From Over the Cap, cost of each pick.

Screenshot%20-%203_30_2016%20%2012_57_44%20PM.png

The ones in black and green are Seahawks picks, remember they have 9.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Harold.

So the 1st rounder gets $1.7 million instead of $1.2 and overall the draft gets a couple of million more than my previous estimate.

To summerize: After subtracting for IR contingancy money, practice squad, and draft picks, and then adding the Lynch money back we currently have about $4-6 million to spend. That money could be used on another vet or 2 to plug any holes remaining after the draft, OR it could reduce to $1.5-3.5 million if they decide to eat all of Lynch's dead money hit this year instead of spreading it across 2 years.

It is possible to free up more money by redoing current deals. Most noteably this would include Jimmy Graham who currently has no dead money against us since the Saints ate that in the trade. He currently has $16.8 million over 2 years. We could convert some of that into guaranteed money and free up a few million but it is a risk based on his injury status.

Angry Doug's contract is up after this year so it could be looked at, but I don't expect to see Bennett redone to any extreme as he is still under through 2017. At best we could toss him an extra million or something if finances allow it once the roster is set.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'd think at this point, sit pat, if they find a hole in camp then look at what vets are out there, but otherwise can use this for extending 2017 FA's during the season that show life (or upping Kam's contract a bit?). If they don't use it, as you say Baldwin extension (his contract expires before the 2017 season, not through it). Patrick Lewis maybe? If Siliga plays well early in the year?

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'd think at this point, sit pat, if they find a hole in camp then look at what vets are out there, but otherwise can use this for extending 2017 FA's during the season that show life (or upping Kam's contract a bit?). If they don't use it, as you say Baldwin extension (his contract expires before the 2017 season, not through it). Patrick Lewis maybe? If Siliga plays well early in the year?

Good points.

I don't think that upping Kam's contract is currently on the radar. He played mediocre last year (by LOB standards) and needs a full return to form before that is even considered.

Baldwin could be due big money if he performs like he did from the middle of last year. I am a bit worried that keeping Kearse this year could mean struggling to keep Baldwin after next year.

Lewis needs to prove himself as a starter this year before resigning him is a concern/priority. I hope he plays well enough to solidify the position and cause the Seahawk's to have the good problem of finding extra $$ to sign him for a longer term deal.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points.

I don't think that upping Kam's contract is currently on the radar. He played mediocre last year (by LOB standards) and needs a full return to form before that is even considered.

Baldwin could be due big money if he performs like he did from the middle of last year. I am a bit worried that keeping Kearse this year could mean struggling to keep Baldwin after next year.

Lewis needs to prove himself as a starter this year before resigning him is a concern/priority. I hope he plays well enough to solidify the position and cause the Seahawk's to have the good problem of finding extra $$ to sign him for a longer term deal.

Yup, Lewis I see more of one of those deals where if he impresses early on, get him for a bit more than he's maybe worth today, but a lot less than you think he will be worth in 9 months deals. Same with Siliga.

Plus that move also leaves them more open to potential trades and such, ie giving up a player who they'd take a cap hit on, or gaining a player with a higher salary.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap update (as per fieldgulls article):

"Earlier this morning on Sports Radio KJR, John Schneider revealed to Mitch Levy a little more insight into the behind-the-scenes workings of the Marshawn Lynch retirement. Per Schneider, the Seahawks do not want to let Lynch's dead money affect the team's cap health in 2017. So, when Seahawks file retirement papers for Lynch (or place him on the Reserve-Retired list) before June 1st, the move will open up $6.5M in cap space. Currently, Lynch is still on the books.

All of Lynch's remaining signing bonus ($5M) will accelerate into 2016 and the Seahawks will be hit with a $5M dead money charge. The official cap space for the Seahawks in 2016 would then equal $11,138,186. However, this figure wouldn't represent the true amount of space the Seahawks possess.

When calculating true cap space, one has to figure in the costs of the Injured Reserve, the PUP list, practice squad, and other oddball stuff. Put aside an extra $3M for IR (estimated), $1M for PS, $1M in extra dead money if the you choose to cut a draft pick, and then the two salaries for players 52 and 53. All together, these oddities equal about $6M.

Subtract $6M from $11,138,186 and it leaves the Seahawks with around $5.138M in true cap space (assuming a pre-June 1st retirement designation for Lynch)."

So:
*Taking the whole Beastmode cap hit this year instead of next.
*Still have over $5 million in cap space AFTER draft, PUP/IR money, Practice Squad, etc. This is easily over $6 million with probable cuts.

This means that we still can sign a vet player or two if anyone interesting comes on the market.

I don't think that we are done with the roster this offseason!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap update (as per fieldgulls article):

"Earlier this morning on Sports Radio KJR, John Schneider revealed to Mitch Levy a little more insight into the behind-the-scenes workings of the Marshawn Lynch retirement. Per Schneider, the Seahawks do not want to let Lynch's dead money affect the team's cap health in 2017. So, when Seahawks file retirement papers for Lynch (or place him on the Reserve-Retired list) before June 1st, the move will open up $6.5M in cap space. Currently, Lynch is still on the books.

All of Lynch's remaining signing bonus ($5M) will accelerate into 2016 and the Seahawks will be hit with a $5M dead money charge. The official cap space for the Seahawks in 2016 would then equal $11,138,186. However, this figure wouldn't represent the true amount of space the Seahawks possess.

When calculating true cap space, one has to figure in the costs of the Injured Reserve, the PUP list, practice squad, and other oddball stuff. Put aside an extra $3M for IR (estimated), $1M for PS, $1M in extra dead money if the you choose to cut a draft pick, and then the two salaries for players 52 and 53. All together, these oddities equal about $6M.

Subtract $6M from $11,138,186 and it leaves the Seahawks with around $5.138M in true cap space (assuming a pre-June 1st retirement designation for Lynch)."

So:
*Taking the whole Beastmode cap hit this year instead of next.
*Still have over $5 million in cap space AFTER draft, PUP/IR money, Practice Squad, etc. This is easily over $6 million with probable cuts.

This means that we still can sign a vet player or two if anyone interesting comes on the market.

I don't think that we are done with the roster this offseason!

Might be used to extend Baldwin.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't want to start a new thread for this but DT, Jarran Reed has agree to rookie deal w/ Seahawks... At least we know he'll be in camp on day 1... GREAT NEWS!
Yeah, as of yesterday when I checked, 9 out of 10 (Zac Brooks) had already signed.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, as of yesterday when I checked, 9 out of 10 (Zac Brooks) had already signed.

This is one reason I like the new salary cap for rookies - this is what allows rookies to sign early and get into camp on time....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one reason I like the new salary cap for rookies - this is what allows rookies to sign early and get into camp on time....
Yep, all the drama has been taken out of contracts for rookies. Now you're just choosing to not get paid by waiting to sign.