• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Sox trade

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're wrong. The Red Sox offered Mookie a 10 year $300M contract and he refused. He said he'd take a 12 year $420M contract. $35M a year and he needs more than a few days off every year.

The Dodgers got Price and the RS paid half of his remaining salary.

Mookie was gone after this year and the Sox may not have gotten much for him and Price but Mookie had no intention of resigning with the Red Sox. The Red Sox got under the Luxury Tax and will spend the money next year after the Tax is re-adjusted. Price has been a pain in the ass to the team and to media for the past two years. The Red Sox did him very well and he's never been appreciative of anything.

12 years 420 million??? Boy bye

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, he was the last of a "loophole" (aka common sense rule) that if you got designated and went unclaimed (under a certain amount of service time) that your salary came off the tax. They closed that loophole because of Rusney.

But that's why he wont see the light of day in Boston. Because if he comes back up, that contract goes back on the books towards the tax.

Thanks for explanation. Didn't know that. Thought I read an article last year saying it did. Dude shouldn't care about being called up either, making $10/mill a year

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually reading this makes me sad for him.

As I read this Henry and company just raised ticket prices higher
He has a tough decision to make but I think I stop short of feeling sad for him. This guy came from Cuba to the US and his contract has already paid out 58 million. A lot of that probably went to taxes and agents and stuff but if he has been careful he should still have enough to take care of a wife and two kids for a while. So it's up to him to decide whether he should forego the next 12 million or take a lot less to have a chance to live his dream of getting some more major league playing time.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fing A man! Verdugo has a back injury!!

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article sums up most of my criticisms of the Red Sox.

The Myths Behind Boston’s Mookie Betts Trade Justification

It was all complete bullshit. This was a pure money making action by the Red Sox front office that will make the Red sox worse for the foreseeable future.

it's a little overaggressive. they are not nearly as close to the yankees as the article tries to make you believe.

the Red Sox would be paying 92-95% tax each year

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this was widely known.

Still. Trade looks worse and worse everyday! Mookie wasn't signing here and was going to be traded, I know that but still

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's a little overaggressive. they are not nearly as close to the yankees as the article tries to make you believe.

the Red Sox would be paying 92-95% tax each year

A) They won 108 games 2 years ago with essentially the same team. Obviously the Sox pitching staff is a bigger concern and needs Sale to come to form but pre-trade their staff was adequate. Whether the Sox could or could not overtake the Yankees isn't really the point. The point is whether they are a playoff team with Betts/Price and whether they are without them.
B) The main point is that the tax is a minor problem. It's not like the NBA repeater tax which can get pretty nutty. They would basically have to double any money over the tax. They most certainly could pay that and still be profitable but they don't want to.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A) They won 108 games 2 years ago with essentially the same team. Obviously the Sox pitching staff is a bigger concern and needs Sale to come to form but pre-trade their staff was adequate. Whether the Sox could or could not overtake the Yankees isn't really the point. The point is whether they are a playoff team with Betts/Price and whether they are without them.
B) The main point is that the tax is a minor problem. It's not like the NBA repeater tax which can get pretty nutty. They would basically have to double any money over the tax. They most certainly could pay that and still be profitable but they don't want to.

92-95% isn't pretty nutty?

the fact that teams are penalized for investing in their product when teams dont' even pay their roster up to the national contract revenues (aka before selling a single ticket, concession, parking space, corporate box etc.) is ridiculous.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still. Trade looks worse and worse everyday! Mookie wasn't signing here and was going to be traded, I know that but still

The question is WHY he wasn't going to sign here.

If Betts just wanted to leave Boston, which maybe he does, then this all makes sense.

If he was just looking to maximize earnings, then it's terrible.

If you look at WAR versus salary, it is hard to come up a justification for NOT paying Betts a ton of money. He's averaged a little over 8 WAR a season over the past 4 seasons. The typical contract comes in around a 10 million a year per 1 WAR per year. So even if Betts drops to 6 WAR a season going forward he EASILY surpasses he value even if he gets paid 40 mill a year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
92-95% isn't pretty nutty?

No because it is only 92% of the money over the cap. As the article points out, the Red Sox paid Hanley and Panda 40 million dollars in 2018 and they weren't even on the team.

the fact that teams are penalized for investing in their product when teams dont' even pay their roster up to the national contract revenues (aka before selling a single ticket, concession, parking space, corporate box etc.) is ridiculous.

The next CBA is going to be a pretty interesting fight.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No because it is only 92% of the money over the cap. As the article points out, the Red Sox paid Hanley and Panda 40 million dollars in 2018 and they weren't even on the team.

The next CBA is going to be a pretty interesting fight.

And they still counted toward that luxury tax line. In fact those guys are they a big reason why they got in so much hot water tax wise. They were already near the top tax bracket again before the betts trade.

and mookie wanted 12 years. That’s just not something Boston was going to do.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was all complete bullshit. This was a pure money making action by the Red Sox front office that will make the Red sox worse for the foreseeable future.

Mookie Betts was not going to resign with the Red Sox next year. David Price was a royal pain in the as and problem in the clubhouse. Keeping Mookie around would have been a real problem by August because no matter what the Sox did, they were only going to get pennies on a dollar.

You're not from this area and don't have scant understanding of just how much money that Henry has spent to get the Championships that evaded the Red Sox since the Ruth trade. He cut $42M off the Red Sox 2020 payroll and will put it back next year when MLB ups the limit for the Luxury Tax.

Since you're "all knowing" please tell me who will be in the World Series and who will win.

My guess is the $325M Yankees and $300M Dodgers.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mookie Betts was not going to resign with the Red Sox next year. David Price was a royal pain in the as and problem in the clubhouse. Keeping Mookie around would have been a real problem by August because no matter what the Sox did, they were only going to get pennies on a dollar.

You're not from this area and don't have scant understanding of just how much money that Henry has spent to get the Championships that evaded the Red Sox since the Ruth trade. He cut $42M off the Red Sox 2020 payroll and will put it back next year when MLB ups the limit for the Luxury Tax.

Since you're "all knowing" please tell me who will be in the World Series and who will win.

My guess is the $325M Yankees and $300M Dodgers.

What's funny about this is that YOU are the one making predictions about what is going to happen in the future and yet you demand that I predict the future.

No true Masshole!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3