• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Recruits weigh in on concern over potential impact of head trauma - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruits weigh in on concern over potential impact of head trauma - ESPN
By Tom VanHaaren

Chris Borland's decision to retire from football after his rookie season with the San Francisco 49ers has sparked a lot of debate about the future of the game. With such a young player deciding to hang up his cleats over the potential impacts of head trauma, it's only natural for players of all levels to think twice about his decision.

Since high school football recruits are on the brink of joining the next level and playing in a faster, harder hitting league, we decided to poll the prospects on their thoughts about concussions and whether they were concerned about the potential impact of head trauma.

When 50 ESPN 300 prospects were polled anonymously, 27 said they were not concerned, but 23 said they did have some concerns.

The recruits, who most chose to stay anonymous, but a few were comfortable attaching their name to their quote and opinion, had some interesting takes on head injuries in the game. Here are a few of their quotes:

NOT CONCERNED:

"I mean, great for him that he can be man enough to make that decision. I hate to see such a young guy finally make the league and then have to quit like that, but that's one of the risks of the game. You have to know your body and make decisions to best benefit you. You have to be aware, but you can't play scared if you get one you get one, and if you get too many then you have to shut it down." -- ESPN 300 tight end Isaac Nauta

"Honestly, I think every player has had a concussion. I've never been diagnosed and I still think it's dangerous, but I think it comes with the game. I'm not afraid of concussions. It's a touchy subject, but people will continue to work to fix the problem and God willing, I won't have to make that decision to stop early. Nobody wants to quit playing football so I have the utmost respect to the men who have made that choice, but it won't stop me from playing the game I love." -- ESPN 300 linebacker Caleb Kelly

"No, not at all. It's the risk you commit to when you're a kid to be great and end up one day taking care of your own family while in the league." -- Anonymous ESPN 300 prospect

"[Borland's retirement] got my attention. I wouldn't think of retiring if I were him and this might be a rather bad view point from myself, but concussions are part of the game. You know the risk of them, but all you can do is try to get a strong neck and hope not to get hit in a weird way. Also, with the new rules and the advanced helmets and pads, I feel the risk is going down. So I feel like it may have been a step too much by Borland." -- Anonymous ESPN 300 prospect

CONCERNED:

"As a football player I try to always be aware of my surroundings on the field. I also try to make the smart play, instead of taking on a 250-pound linebacker, I will slide to get out of bounds to avoid the unnecessary contact that could lead to a serious head injury. Take care of your body first and don't try to impress anybody." -- Anonymous ESPN 300 prospect

"Yes, this stuff is dangerous. If you don't take a different approach to the game of football when it comes to hitting and being hit, then a concussion can be life-threatening." -- Anonymous ESPN 300 prospect

"Yeah, I am concerned. Players give their hearts and soul out there, often times not knowing the lasting effects until after their career is over." -- Anonymous ESPN 300 prospect

"It's always a concerning issue. Concussions are scary, no doubt. It doesn't concern me about Chris Borland's retirement because I understand his decision. It is scary knowing the risks of playing this sport, and I'm pretty sure it's concerning for most players. It's always a scary subject because no one wants an injury." -- Anonymous ESPN 300 prospect

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a concern indeed. What's the good of being famous and making all that money if you're going to live an injured life?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caleb Kelly: "Honestly, I think every player has had a concussion."

Absolutely. Common occurrence. I think helmets are better now, but I know I had a few just a practices. With the players being bigger, faster and stronger now, there is no way to avoid them. Especially when you play defense.

Just my opinion.