• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Recruiting Thread:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brent is ranked as the top player in Indiana by 247Sports, which gives Notre Dame the Hoosier State’s top prospect for the third consecutive season. He's considered to be one of the 100 best prospects in the country this year. His climb in national acclaim came later than most. He got there with an indefatigable work ethic and a dedicated supporting cast.

I thought this was interesting that ND has landed the Top player from the Hoosier state 3 years in a row. Keep it going next year. Who is the top player this year?

I think the top player in Indiana this year is Andrew Luck. If Kelly gets him, I'll be impressed.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're missing my point. ND doesn't have dance classes for credit. If an ND student needed two credits to graduate he'd have to take a real class.

Some how if the MENSA group of Chris Zorich (who got a law degree but couldn't pass the bar)Tony Rice, Ron Powlus, Demetrious DuBose, Ricky Waters, and Jerome Bettis can hang at ND I wouldn't be puffing my chest out about the grad rates or classes because if these guys can get a degree there I'm sure Matt and plenty of other you guys diss would have done just fine. Don't forget until he got into that fight in high school Randy Moss was some how OK for ND academically . Oh and I remember that Einstein Lorenzo Booker who picked Florida State over ND at the very end. What are the odds that guy would have some how magically passed his classes maybe even given a 5th year ? lol. The fact is if Mr. Golson would have been a little slicker you would have had a QB play for three or four years who was cheating. That alone should make you think twice about dissing others. Ya get my point?

Last edited by a moderator:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta ad that overall you guys do a wonderful job with athletes and academics. But theres guys who through the years I kinda chuckle about .

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some how if the MENSA group of Chris Zorich (who got a law degree but couldn't pass the bar)Tony Rice, Ron Powlus, Demetrious DuBose, Ricky Waters, and Jerome Bettis can hang at ND I wouldn't be puffing my chest out about the grad rates or classes because if these guys can get a degree there I'm sure Matt and plenty of other you guys diss would have done just fine. Don't forget until he got into that fight in high school Randy Moss was some how OK for ND academically . Oh and I remember that Einstein Lorenzo Booker who picked Florida State over ND at the very end. What are the odds that guy would have some how magically passed his classes maybe even given a 5th year ? lol. The fact is if Mr. Golson would have been a little slicker you would have had a QB play for three or four years who was cheating. That alone should make you think twice about dissing others. Ya get my point?

Cant play the what if game. They might of got in but who knows if they would last.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I recall right Randy Moss was going to Notre Dame and then after something happened he was going to Florida State and then something happened again and he went to Marshall, I don't believe it was ever about academics. He may have gotten in trouble from time to time but I don't think Moss is stupid. I think he was more immature than anything. A lot of people think he's stupid but he just marched to his own drummer and made some poor decisions. Just like Chris Carter ended up in the supplemental draft for smoking a little chron coming out of Ohio State. Shit happens.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, I don't get your point. Somehow a guy that went to Florida State is somehow in your argument about getting a fifth year at ND. And that Golson getting caught cheating and being suspended somehow negates an argument that if you get caught cheating at ND you get suspended, even if you're the starting QB. And your Randy Moss comment makes no sense whatsoever on any level. So no, your point is not clear to me. I guess you're saying Matt didn't have to cheat in a ballroom dancing class, but who does. If one of your points is that if it takes John Kennedy Jr 4 tries to pass the Massachusetts bar, it might mean that Harvard Law school sucks, I'll understand, but I'm not sure that one person's performance is a basis to evaluate an entire school.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Bettis left early and doesn't have a degree from Notre Dame. One of the few that left early and never got a degree. I believe the number is 11 (that number includes the 3 juniors leaving this year) most come back and get a degree, can USC say that?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I don't get your point. Somehow a guy that went to Florida State is somehow in your argument about getting a fifth year at ND. And that Golson getting caught cheating and being suspended somehow negates an argument that if you get caught cheating at ND you get suspended, even if you're the starting QB. And your Randy Moss comment makes no sense whatsoever on any level. So no, your point is not clear to me. I guess you're saying Matt didn't have to cheat in a ballroom dancing class, but who does. If one of your points is that if it takes John Kennedy Jr 4 tries to pass the Massachusetts bar, it might mean that Harvard Law school sucks, I'll understand, but I'm not sure that one person's performance is a basis to evaluate an entire school.

To many things to say about your response but I don't have the time this morning. But I pointed out Golson was caught cheating. Assuming he didn't want to get caught and if he had done a better job at it your starting for a few years would have been cheating to stay in school and on the team. And I'm sure you'd be quite proud of him not knowing .That alone should sober you up a little and should give you some pause when criticizing other schools or players Just because they are at ND and just because they graduated doesn't mean they are smarter or better. As much as you want to believe it the standards for being a student and being a football player at ND are not the same. hence the example of Randy Moss and i can throw in the Tee Shepards of the world who are able to get acceptance as a player but never in a million years would the be as just a student. Chris Zorich sounds like a wonderful human being whos gone through alot and I hate to use him as an example . I'm sure he put his all into it but the guys only job after getting a ND degree and a law degree was at the athletic dept at Notre dame. \Anyway, looking forward to this years season.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To many things to say about your response but I don't have the time this morning. But I pointed out Golson was caught cheating. Assuming he didn't want to get caught and if he had done a better job at it your starting for a few years would have been cheating to stay in school and on the team. And I'm sure you'd be quite proud of him not knowing .That alone should sober you up a little and should give you some pause when criticizing other schools or players Just because they are at ND and just because they graduated doesn't mean they are smarter or better. As much as you want to believe it the standards for being a student and being a football player at ND are not the same. hence the example of Randy Moss and i can throw in the Tee Shepards of the world who are able to get acceptance as a player but never in a million years would the be as just a student. Chris Zorich sounds like a wonderful human being whos gone through alot and I hate to use him as an example . I'm sure he put his all into it but the guys only job after getting a ND degree and a law degree was at the athletic dept at Notre dame. \Anyway, looking forward to this years season.

Actually the reports were that Golson was allowing someone to cheat off of his work. The rest of your points about Moss and Shepard are mute because neither ever played for Notre Dame sure they offered scholarships but something kept them from the school in one way or another. Also who cares if Zorich's only job is within the athletic dept at Notre Dame, perhaps he enjoys his job and is happy in life why should he change if he is.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SoCal your response is ridiculous. Talk about sobering up, it would appear that you were pretty drunk when you wrote this. So let's see if I have this right, if Golson had not been caught, he would have played, and we would have been happy. And somehow that is supposed to make Matt taking a ballroom dancing class seem perfectly normal.

So what if Matt had also killed a guy, but they never caught him, because he used his dance class as an alibi. How would that make you feel? Pretty bad huh. And what about Pat Haden, he went to SC and then was a Rhodes Scholar, but the job he has is working for SC's athletic department. That has to be pretty embarrassing for his family.

I hope this response was as lucid as yours was. But for the life of me, I still don't see what Randy Moss or Tee Shepard have to do with anything. But anyway, have a good night, sleep it off and try again tomorrow.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I pointed out Golson was caught cheating. Assuming he didn't want to get caught and if he had done a better job at it your starting for a few years would have been cheating to stay in school and on the team.
Word is he was letting someone/some people cheat off of him. Still not right, but it hardly means he needed the help to pass classes. If anything, it shows he knew the stuff, just didn't realize the mistake he was making by allowing others to copy.

Try again.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I found about the easiest classes at ND. Oh yeah overall not so easy.

philosophy (PHIL)
political science (POLS)
psychology (PSY)
sociology (SOC)
anthropology (ANTH)

These were rated the easiest at ND would be Top 5 classes at most colleges.

Ehh, if we're talking 101 for these classes, then I doubt they'd be top 5 at most colleges. I took Sociology and Poly Sci at IU, pretty easy imo.

However, you won't be finding a dance class at ND anytime soon.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is he was letting someone/some people cheat off of him. Still not right, but it hardly means he needed the help to pass classes. If anything, it shows he knew the stuff, just didn't realize the mistake he was making by allowing others to copy.

Try again.

Word is you really don't know for sure do you. I do know ( BKs pressers about him) he was having issues in the classroom his freshman year. Hardly the guy you'd be cheating off of .
USC is a very large University with your schools of Law and medicine and because of it's location to the entertainment industry offers many classes and degrees that ND doesn't. I'm sure if you wanted to be a music director or choreographer in the film industry you'd be glad that USC offers such classes. Have a clue.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a clue.
Funny you of all people should say that.

As for Leinart, I doubt his career aspirations were to be a fuggin dance choreographer. He thought he could coast in the NFL and he proved to be a colossal bust. Good thing he took that dance course eh?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is you really don't know for sure do you. I do know ( BKs pressers about him) he was having issues in the classroom his freshman year. Hardly the guy you'd be cheating off of .
USC is a very large University with your schools of Law and medicine and because of it's location to the entertainment industry offers many classes and degrees that ND doesn't. I'm sure if you wanted to be a music director or choreographer in the film industry you'd be glad that USC offers such classes. Have a clue.

I believe a student actually came out and stated he was cheating off of Golson, Notre Dame isn't a SEC school so please stop trying to act like it is.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most schools wouldn't even suspend a player for a semester, Notre Dame kicked him out for a semester.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe a student actually came out and stated he was cheating off of Golson, Notre Dame isn't a SEC school so please stop trying to act like it is.

"Golson missed all of last season after he was suspended in May for a violation of the student honor code; he later admitted to Sports Illustrated that he cheated on a test. "

I believe Golson admitted he cheated.I haven't seen one article saying some student says he was cheating off of Golson. You don't think that would be newsworthy? maybe at least a few articles? someone asking the person how he did it or why Golson let him?
You guys keep bringing up his suspension. where do I say anything about his suspention , how long it was , whether another school would have done the same? Seriously you guys are on automatic when someone says anything about a player from Notre dame doing something wrong. You argue something that wasn't said . You never condemn the player like you would if he was from another school. If Matt Barkley had been caught cheating you guys would be all over him AND what ever punishment he received, But with Golson it's a minor thing to you guys that he cheated it's again more of the "oh yeah if he was from another school he wouldn have gotten less" you guys make what he did secondary.
My point AGAIN was that if he was slicker and not got caught which I assume was his plan. You would have had a starting QB who was not qualified to be playing or being a student. That you should not act like anything Notre dame is beyond reproach. ND fans put down a person like Matt who ended up a few credits short of qualifying for his degree and took an easy class.It wasn't immoral or dishonorable compared to Golsons actions. But some how Matt is the joke.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But with Golson it's a minor thing to you guys that he cheated it's again more of the "oh yeah if he was from another school he wouldn have gotten less" you guys make what he did secondary.
Wrong.

It isn't a minor thing, and he's been punished accordingly. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I was pissed he got in this mess. Not only did he miss the chance at another year of football, but more importantly he tarnished his name(as well as a reflection on ND) that will take time to rebuild.

I have no doubt though, had he gone to a lesser school his punishment wouldn't have been so steep.

So u can go ahead and claim you know how ND fans feel, but u don't know shit. Golson ruined a semester of his life, but his life isn't over. People have overcome far worse things. Cheating happens all over the world. It's not like he murdered someone. But he did the crime, a crime ND takes seriously, and he paid for it by having to miss a semester of school and football. So quit trying to make it something more than it is.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND fans put down a person like Matt who ended up a few credits short of qualifying for his degree and took an easy class
Yep. Sure do. Because it's funny. Just like people make fun of Teo for the mess he got into. Shit happens. If you do something stupid, be prepared to get made fun of. Taking a dance class in order to graduate is funny. Maybe you should head to the U$C boards to talk about your feelings?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong.

It isn't a minor thing, and he's been punished accordingly. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I was pissed he got in this mess. Not only did he miss the chance at another year of football, but more importantly he tarnished his name(as well as a reflection on ND) that will take time to rebuild.

I have no doubt though, had he gone to a lesser school his punishment wouldn't have been so steep.

So u can go ahead and claim you know how ND fans feel, but u don't know shit. Golson ruined a semester of his life, but his life isn't over. People have overcome far worse things. Cheating happens all over the world. It's not like he murdered someone. But he did the crime, a crime ND takes seriously, and he paid for it by having to miss a semester of school and football. So quit trying to make it something more than it is.

Dude , read and follow the argument . AFTER ( do you understand the word?) 7478irish posted this about the kid with the issue about who paid for the tutor. " Or possibly the "tutor" just happens to look a lot like the athlete. And the "athlete" just happens to have a great test day and his SAT score just happens to magically jumps by 500 points. That's money well spent by the recruiter. And easy money for the tutor. No one gets hurt. And the head coach has plausible deniability for the whole thing. I was using the Golson case as an example of why WE SHOULDNT be judging because in your own back yard the kid you would have hailed as a "great student and QB" was actually cheating and here 7478 insinuates that that this kid possibly cheated when the thing in question was who paid for the tutor. Ya get that?
I didn't start a thread to put the kid (Golson) down or say he will never be a good person because of it. I said he cheated and if he would have been better at it you would have had someone with false grades as one of your top players while some ND fans talk crap about other schools players education. Do you get that ?
I didn't say his punishment was more or less than another school would have given. If you wanna make yourself feel better by telling yourself other schools wouldn't have done that it's up to you. Personally I've seen players ( starters) at SC lose a year because of academics so I doubt in their case it would be tolerated but like you I don;t really know every single thing that goes on.