• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Really wish I could care about NCAA football

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football could have so much more potential to be a better product than what the NCAA gives us. There's virtually no such thing as "home town kids" playing for legitimate contenders.

1) Every high school kid is a free agent, and the same relatively small list of legitimate possible contenders gets the cream of the crop each time. The best players almost always pick a major school with one of the best programs willing to give them a cadillac education (or give them the opportunity at least) scott free that most would rack up a tremendous amount of debt getting. As a result, there's a big list of teams that are guaranteed to be crappy year in and year out, with generally only a few legit contenders.

2) I know they're bringing in some format of playoffs finally, which is long overdue. I have no idea how anyone could be a fan with the old bowl system. Teams getting "invited/voted" to bowls and championship games, rather than settling it on the field?

3) Teams losing 1 regular season game could, or at least has for years, potentially cost them their entire season. Hopefully the new playoff system addresses this, though I don't know to what extent it will exactly, as I haven't bothered looking into it yet. If losing 1 (let alone 2) regular season games is all it takes to be eliminated from contention of a championship game or a bowl that actually matters, then I don't see the point of watching until the championships themselves, or playoffs anyway.

4) WAY too many "Who Gives a Sh*t" bowl games. Get rid of all except for maybe 2 bowls and a national title game tops.

Of course, the endgame is all about the NCAA making them and the various sports programs richer, so obviously they'll never trim any of the fat with all of the drones willing to follow their product regardless of how pointless a big percentage of it is.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell no.. keep as many bowl games as possible depending on number of playoff games till it grows

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bowl thing bothers me. I don't see a reason to award a team a bowl game by going 6-6 on the season. We have too many bowls spread out over weeks. I liked it the old way when bowl games would start on Xmas with the Blue Grey game in the morning then the Hula Bowl that night. Some low level bowl games throughout the week building up to New Years and having the major bowls all crammed into one awesome day of football.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And at least make a 7 win minimum to be bowl eligible

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CFB was fine

until they decided they needed a national champion...then schools became football factories and athletics became the top priority at many schools all, of course, fueled by TV money.

The bowl games did get out of control, but the old bowl system (back when there were like 20 games) pitting conferences and the champion basically being a champion of the Rose, Sugar, etc Bowl really was in the best interest of the game...a break in the school calender was the perfect time to reward a team for a good season...fans could take off and travel somewhere warm, etc.

The monster (TV money) has taken over now...CFB will never have a true national champion, but billions will be made in the name of National Champion.