• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RB's Don't Matter

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the position matters numbnuts. I’m not making that claim.
LOL

Yet Scooby says this:
"RB's are pretty much plug and play. Field a good o-line and almost any pro RB will have a great season"

and your dumb ass calls me numbnuts?
You really should just read the threads.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The RB position in the NFL has largely been turned into an RB by committee basis since about 2000. Chitting on the position as a whole just because the starters vs. backups isn't as big of a deal as it once was due to the game changing is pretty ignorant.

I would argue that the RB position has changed to place a lot more importance on being an asset in the passing game and as a blocker for the QB on passing plays. Being able to do those things well or above average while also succeeding decently on pure rushing plays is what seperates the goods from the greats these days. Hence why the Alvin Kamaras and Dalvin Cooks of the world are as big of a deal as they are in today's game.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Yet Scooby says this:
"RB's are pretty much plug and play. Field a good o-line and almost any pro RB will have a great season"

You can’t comprehend. I can’t help you with that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Yet Scooby says this:

The RB position in the NFL has largely been turned into an RB by committee basis since about 2000. Chitting on the position as a whole just because the starters vs. backups isn't as big of a deal as it once was due to the game changing is pretty ignorant.

I would argue that the RB position has changed to place a lot more importance on being an asset in the passing game and as a blocker for the QB on passing plays. Being able to do those things well or above average while also succeeding decently on pure rushing plays is what seperates the goods from the greats these days. Hence why the Alvin Kamaras and Dalvin Cooks of the world are as big of a deal as they are in today's game.

This twitter thread by a senior PFF analyst pretty much sums up my thoughts on "RB's don't matter". It's not about them "totally and completely not mattering, at all". It's that they're overvalued and often valued for the wrong reasons. It's that so much of football's understanding of the running game, running backs, etc. is ancient and outdated.

It's that pure rushing success has more to do with offensive line play than running back play.

Yes, RB's who can contribute in the passing game is valuable. RB's who are great in pass protection correlates more to winning than any other RB skill set. That being said... running backs also have a short shelf life, a high injury risk, and it’s easy to find a cheap replacement without losing much value. The position is constant rotating door of guys coming out scorching hot and then fading out. Shelling out expensive, long-term deals to them is stupid.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This twitter thread by a senior PFF analyst pretty much sums up my thoughts on "RB's don't matter". It's not about them "totally and completely not mattering, at all". It's that they're overvalued and often valued for the wrong reasons. It's that so much of football's understanding of the running game, running backs, etc. is ancient and outdated.

It's that pure rushing success has more to do with offensive line play than running back play.

Yes, RB's who can contribute in the passing game is valuable. RB's who are great in pass protection correlates more to winning than any other RB skill set. That being said... running backs also have a short shelf life, a high injury risk, and it’s easy to find a cheap replacement without losing much value. The position is constant rotating door of guys coming out scorching hot and then fading out. Shelling out expensive, long-term deals to them is stupid.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think almost everyone knows that paying any RB elite tier money these days isn't worth it. Because no matter how good they are, paying them like a QB will hurt their team more than going with a lesser starter. Adrian Peterson was a classic example of that. One of the GOAT rushers in his prime who almost carried the team for years, his QB money contract sunk the Vikings for like 6 years because there wasn't enough money to bring in any help for him.

But I mean, NFL contracts in general are getting insane these days. Guys these days are making $8+ million these days to be half as good as Favre was in 2009. Even those deals are sinking teams given the trend of having to win with either elite QB's on their rookie deals or have a guy like Brady willing to take less than top dollar every single year to enable their team to bring in the supporting cast needed to won titles.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For certain teams the drop off is pretty dramatic

Kind of depends on personel

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spin... You bet simpleton.
plug & play and any pro RB behind a good oline is all you shitheard

your pride when you say stupid shit makes you look even more the stupid part

onward thru your fog machine scooby doo....it's far and away what you do best here

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of the statsgeekazation of football. There are just too many sitiuational variables to make this particular one very meaningful imo.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this might be your best post...always good to let another clarify your opinion

plug and play....own it scooby doo
Thank you, dummy.

Keep blaming me for not being able to figuring out the obvious. Whatever makes you feel better.

Damn you are dopey.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalvin Cook matters

But yeah, most running backs are expendable

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have run Lynch at the goal line instead of trying to pass against the Pats.