• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RB free agency and rookie landings spots

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:2cents:

Arizona - Re-signing Drake is in both their and Drakes best interest as long as they can get a safe deal done cap wise. As for David Johnson the only real option is a Osweiler deal trade DJ and a pick for cap relief. Cutting him increases his cap hit by 2 million, but frees up space next year. If Drake leaves they're a great landing spot especially for a good receiving back.

Atlanta - They should wait until the draft is over to decide on Freemans status cutting him only saves 3.5 million and they really have nothing at RB after him. They really can't afford to grab a FA RB, so drafting one is their only real option. I expect a 1st or 2nd round back to land here.

Baltimore - Ingram is getting long in the tooth but still looked solid last season keep riding him until the wheels come off
Gus is an URFA tag him with an original round tender and they still have Justice who has potential as a change of pace and possibly a 3rd down back. FA/Drafting a back should be low priority

Buffalo - Singletary looks great, but definitely should be part of a 2 headed monster paired with a bruiser. Yeldon is a solid backup. FA/Draft either sign a FA or draft someone early day 3

Carolina - Mccaffrey and a bunch of options at backup. Draft/FA pass

Chicago - Their offense was a cluster fuck last year. Both Montgomery and Cohen should get increased use. Draft/FA low priority

Cincinnati - Mixon and a couple sophomore guys with talent behind him. Gio is finally a FA his career has been a massive waste of talent hopefully he lands in a spot that'll make better use of his talent. Draft/FA pass

Cleveland - Chubb and Hunt is a nice 1 2 punch, but Hunt is a RFA if they tender him original round or higher he's staying put as no one is likely to give up a 3rd round pick for 1 years use of a high risk RB and trading isn't all that great of an option either best case is probably a 5th rounder and they would probably get that just by waiting and getting his comp pick. Draft/FA medium priority they don't have anyone under contract besides Chubb currently

Dallas - Zeke is signed long term and Pollard looked good. Draft/FA low priority

Denver - So i've seen a few rumors with them Lindsay getting more receiving down work and they're looking to add another back(To replace Freeman?). Draft/FA likely based on rumors

Detroit - Kerryon is talented, but has never been able to stay on the field both pro and college. His backups are barely serviceable. Draft/FA medium priority, but as a Lions fan i'd be happy to see us grab someone as early as round 2

Green Bay - Jones looked great last year and Jamaal is solid. Draft/FA low priority

Houston - Hyde having his best season must have been a pleasant surprise deserves a decent contract offer(2 years 8 million with 2020 guaranteed maybe) with a year under his belt Duke will probably get used a bit more in the passing game. Lamar seems like one of those guys that will be signed in preseason to replace an injured back. Draft/FA medium

Indianapolis - Mack is a likely hold out and i'm guessing Indy plays hardball. Wilkins and Hines are solid backups, but i wouldn't be surprised to see them looking to bring in someone with receiving skills in the draft maybe day 2

Jacksonville - They should trade Fournette for whatever they can get for him as there isn't much of a chance they opt into his 5th year. Armstead is the RoJo/Mckinnion type fast in a straight line, but really doesn't bring much else. Minshew really needs a safety net. Draft/FA high priority

Kansas City - Picking up Williams option seems like a no brainer, but letting him test FA might be a better reward for the real Superbowl MVP. Their other backs are bad or unproven. Draft/FA High they have options to free up cap space they will definitely be looking to add a back or 2

Las Vegas - Jacobs looked good they don't have much past him. Draft/FA medium priority

Los Angeles Chargers - Their GM is a dick I expect he will try to get Gordons contract tolled just to be petty. Ekeler had a great year and will probably get a 1st round tender, but isn't likely to reproduce his 2019 season and could use some help in between the tackles. Jackson is the only RB under contract currently. Draft/FA high priority great landing spot for a workhorse

Los Angeles Rams - Probably won't happen but cutting Gurley is in the best interest of the team. Brown is a solid workhorse and Henderson has potential as a change of pace back. Draft/FA medium priority

Miami - They're a dumpster fire. Draft/FA they should use their draft picks on higher priority positions and no one is going to go there as a FA unless they're getting over paid.

Minnesota - Cook is a stud, but can't be valued like one because of his injury history. Mattison looks like a solid change of pace/backup. Draft/FA low priority

New England - RB musical chairs. Burkhead seems like a likely cut, but BB loves his RB depth. They may look to trade someone(Sony would be my guess as I doubt they want to pay him) Draft/FA pass

New Orleans - Kamara is going to get paid by someone they'll probably find a way to keep him, Lat is cheaper to keep than cut. Draft/FA high priority

New York Giants - Barkley and a couple of JAGs. Draft/FA medium priority

New York Jets - Terrible contract and lackluster performance their stuck with Bell for this year. Powell and Montgomery are both FAs. Draft/FA high priority good landing spot for a day 2 back

Philadelphia - Sanders looked great, Clement is a RFA probably gets a original round tender so they have the option to match, and Sproles is retiring. Draft/FA high priority they need at least 2 backs

Pittsburgh - They're pretty set imo Samuels is a strong 3rd down option, Snell is a very solid backup, and I love Connor this year. Draft/FA low priority

San Francisco - Mckinnion takes a pay cut, Brieda gets a tag of some sort, that leaves Mosert and Colemen they can cut Colemen with no dead money saving 4.9 million. My guess is they either let Brieda walk or cut Colemen depending on the offers Brieda gets. Draft/FA low priority

Seattle - Carson and Penny are both under contract, but I could see them looking to bring in another guy their offense seems very dependent on their ground game. Draft/FA medium priority

Tampa Bay - Barber should be brought back, RoJo was better than expected, but could very easily get upgraded. Draft/FA Very high priority I think they're the most likely team to use a 1st on a RB

Tennessee - Henry is a FA spotrac has his market value set at 13.8 million per year personally I think they should let him walk unless he takes an offer closer to 11 million per. Dion Lewis is the only other back of note, but they save 4.3 million by cutting him. Draft/FA high priority probably 2

Washington - AD is being brought back for obvious reasons, Guice looked really good in the games he played in, Love has had plenty of time to heal up and could be a stud. None of their backs are pass catchers. Draft/FA medium priority

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stomp
:thumb: Nice job above!
I agree with most of it. Hope you're wrong in a few spots, but its just because of selfish self-interest.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC **13M ** Now the chiefs are intriguing. First, they can save a ridiculous 13mil by saying goodbye to S. Watkins. Either he restructures, significantly, or that's a dine deal. Secondly, the incumbent, is on a team option, and hasn't exactly proved dependable, so its no big loss to wave bye bye to him either. So, with no significant cap space, even after the easy calls, free agency isnt a realistic option, meaning they'll likely draft a rook. Now, Reid is well aware that the success of this team hinges on the offense, and they did exceptionally better offensively when a more typical, dynamic, 3 down style back like K. Hunt was on the roster, and I really expect one of the top 3 rookie RB's lands here.

I've seen several mocks that have the Chiefs drafting Swift. Holy cow if that happens he becomes everyone favorite to go 1.1 in FF dynasty drafts. He's not my favorite RB in this draft, but if this happens I will being drafting him at the 1.1 in the leagues that I have that pick.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen several mocks that have the Chiefs drafting Swift. Holy cow if that happens he becomes everyone favorite to go 1.1 in FF dynasty drafts. He's not my favorite RB in this draft, but if this happens I will being drafting him at the 1.1 in the leagues that I have that pick.
Yeah, seen that too. Either Swift or Taylor would be a dynasty owners wet dream. Way earlier mocks had them taking Etienne, and I was drooling at that idea too. Only league I've got even an outside shot at that would be D1 where I have 1.2..and I sure don't see that hapenning either

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, seen that too. Either Swift or Taylor would be a dynasty owners wet dream. Way earlier mocks had them taking Etienne, and I was drooling at that idea too. Only league I've got even an outside shot at that would be D1 where I have 1.2..and I sure don't see that hapenning either
Have the 1.1 in 3 leagues. 1.2 in 1 league and the 1.3 in 2 leagues, 1.5 in 1 league got jack shit in plenty of other leagues, but I'm working on improving that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of like working the trade market this time of year. True some owners don't want to deal until after the NFL draft, but some great deals to be had this time of year and they can go either way in a trade. You can sell too cheap or over pay for a bust. Once draft fever happens things get out of hand. Nice time if you own top picks, not so good if your trying to buy. Some monster over pay for picks in this stage. Think I've made a half a dozen huge deals thus far, which isn't a lot considering the number of leagues I'm in. Dang lot of fun in this down time for FF. Love dynasty.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with Tenn. Franchising Henry, they are now firmly off the list of possibilities.
And with Atlanta releasing Freeman, they shoot right to the top of the list of preferred landing spots along with Miami and TB. With thier cap situation, i can't imagine a free agent signing, and fully expect a RB to be drafted within thier first picks

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd round tender on Hunt. Doesn't necessarily take him off the board. I could see a team ponying up that price, but a bit of a long shot. I would assume he stays in Cleveland, but that isnt necessarily a huge deterrent for anyone that really wants him.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd round tender on Hunt. Doesn't necessarily take him off the board. I could see a team ponying up that price, but a bit of a long shot. I would assume he stays in Cleveland, but that isnt necessarily a huge deterrent for anyone that really wants him.

staying in cleveland is a huge deterrent to Chubb's RB1 production though

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...first wave of free agency has hit shore...
Atlanta created and filled a vacancy
Gordon plugged a hole that didn't exist in Denver
And MIA sign Howard, who doesn't exactly fill a hole, but is good enough that if things don't fall thier way during the draft, they don't HAVE to reach for the wrong guy.

We still have Hyde, Freeman and Miller out there as dudes who could be legit "lead back guys". Not ideal ones, but like Howard, good insurance in case a team doesn't want to be married to drafting a rook to be THE guy.
Others available with fantasy relevance- Riddick, Chris Thompson, Dion Lewis, and possibly TyMo, and Powell. All of whom would fit into the " 3rd down back" category.
The rest? Roster fluff.

So, who still needs a RB?

MIAMI- JoHo shouldn't be a main guy

TB- still only have Ronnie Jones to be Brady's cohort-that cannot be allowed to last

Houston - Literally no one left standing here, could still turn back to Hyde/Miller, not like they aren't familiar. Hopefully fresh blood from the draft, and maybe a lesser end vet.

StL. - personally I think Henderson can handle what Gurley leaves behind, Brown the rest, but, certainly room to upgrade

Tenn- Henry tagged. Haven't heard any news on wether he's content with that, or planning a L. Bell move. But regardless, a Riddick type signing makes sense. Or a rook from that lesser tier that has some passing game chops would fit

Atl- they'll need someone to share the load with Gurley if they want him around for the entire season, maybe Hill and Ito are good enough, I don't think they are.

Indy- still needs a running mate for Mack...still haven't committed to Mack either

LAC- Ekeler gets it done, but you're not giving him 300+ touches. Gordon leaves behind 200+ and Jackson did nothing but prove he ain't the guy last year. A bigger back makes too much sense here

SF- never put anything past a Shannahan when it comes to RB's

Seattle- a Hyde type signing would be a great fit as Penny and Carson prove thier health..Penny might not be ready for quite awhile.

Detroit - definitely needs someone that can get it done and share the load with Kerryon, and almost assuredly, do it himself when Kerryon goes down.

Washington - an ancient AP, a Guice who even if healthy, has only shown flashes of making plays, and hasn't been dependable in the availability department. Love is an unknown quantity. Nothing could happen, anything could happen.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think henderson is the guy in stl, everyone hopped on him and darwin thompson last year, then malcom brown carried the rock, why is that gonna change? RB is the easiest transition in the NFL, they showed the confidence in brown, henderson was a media and fantasy hype machine that never was.....i didnt see one thing that made me change my mind there......i see brown or platoon actually, pending the draft.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think henderson is the guy in stl, everyone hopped on him and darwin thompson last year, then malcom brown carried the rock, why is that gonna change? RB is the easiest transition in the NFL, they showed the confidence in brown, henderson was a media and fantasy hype machine that never was.....i didnt see one thing that made me change my mind there......i see brown or platoon actually, pending the draft.
Cuase Brown is plodding, uninspiring and can't be a game changer, isnt even a great plodder. Henderson has some of that..but limited evidence he can do the dirty work. Both probably could get the job done, neither is good enough to write off StL. as a prime destination for a Swift/Taylor/Dobbins...etc...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuase Brown is plodding, uninspiring and can't be a game changer, isnt even a great plodder. Henderson has some of that..but limited evidence he can do the dirty work. Both probably could get the job done, neither is good enough to write off StL. as a prime destination for a Swift/Taylor/Dobbins...etc...
right, but again, if henderson had that, why wouldnt they use it last year? they certainly needed a spark? Same with darwin.......I mean it could it happen, but to assume its henderson, just falls in line with the hype thought

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA Rams featured CJ Anderson when Gurley's knee gave up on him 2yrs ago, and CJ got it done.

Plodder might actually be exactly what they're looking for in that role

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont have any evidence from McVay's young coaching career to suggest he an explosive RB is vital to his system. They didn't have one in WAS and drafted Guice after he left, and he inherited Gurley.

Just some thoughts

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right, but again, if henderson had that, why wouldnt they use it last year? they certainly needed a spark? Same with darwin.......I mean it could it happen, but to assume its henderson, just falls in line with the hype thought
Becuase, with what's currently on the roster, he's the best fit for what Gurley did. Brown is the best fit for what Brown did. I'm not saying Henderson should get all of Gurley's 250+ touches. But 60-40, 70-30? Sure, I think that'd be fine.

HOWEVER- I Do think they address the position, either during the draft, or picking through free agency afterwards. But, they don't HAVE to, with splitting up the load with what they've got, plus a depth signing or two

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA Rams featured CJ Anderson when Gurley's knee gave up on him 2yrs ago, and CJ got it done.

Plodder might actually be exactly what they're looking for in that role
Though shall not speak that name. Finally, mercifully, he's out of the league

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Think the market for him is in line with your thinking. Someone offered me T. Taylor and B. Scott for Henderson ( a two QB league, so even Taylor has some value) and no other nibbles. Saw some one offered Preston Williams + and the + wasn't going to be much ( same guy that made me the above offer in a different league).
Think owners are going to have hold on to him because only low ball offers out there for him.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont have any evidence from McVay's young coaching career to suggest he an explosive RB is vital to his system. They didn't have one in WAS and drafted Guice after he left, and he inherited Gurley.

Just some thoughts
Well can't argue any of that, but he did inherit a Gurley who was teetering on a "one year wonder" label, and then used him as the centerpiece of the leagues best offense for two years. And once he stopped (was forced to stop) doing that, Rams offense was still efficient, still scored well, but wasnt scary at all. Kupp slowed eventually, Woods slowed, Cooks disappeared.. But yay Brown and Higbee I guess. Obviously he switched something up midway through last year, and he went more big run game, more 2 tight. But that resulted in a pre-bye record of 5-3 and 26+ ppg, and a post bye record of 4-4 and just under 23 ppg. Slight difference to be sure, but a measurable one