• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the NFL's four best receiver groups

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very few receivers run every route, especially tight ends. Which means that almost every receiver is a "system receiver". Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown are a few of those kinds of guys that can run the full route tree. But the other 95% of receivers just run a few routes at an NFL level and are schemed to stick to those particular routes that fit their offense and QB. So, while some teams may have more "talented" corps, the best should be who is more effective at what they're being asked to do.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very few receivers run every route, especially tight ends. Which means that almost every receiver is a "system receiver". Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown are a few of those kinds of guys that can run the full route tree. But the other 95% of receivers just run a few routes at an NFL level and are schemed to stick to those particular routes that fit their offense and QB. So, while some teams may have more "talented" corps, the best should be who is more effective at what they're being asked to do.
Glad to have the off the charts talent Dez posses, but he isn't a good route runner, certainly no where near Brown with regards to running pass routes. Not many top end talent guys also run disciplined routes. Just an opinion.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to have the off the charts talent Dez posses, but he isn't a good route runner, certainly no where near Brown with regards to running pass routes. Not many top end talent guys that also run disciplined routes. Just an opinion

Fair enough. From what I can see from Dez is that he's great at boxing out defenders on hook routes and posts to the corner of the end zone. So I agree, his prowess is physicality not getting open, like Brandon Marshall. Hopkins is probably a better example of a complete route runner.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was that when evaluating a receiver corps, individual talent should really be irrelevant and production and efficiency within the offense should be what's taken seriously. So, NE has a fair argument. Who cares about where Edelman was or wasn't drafted, or that he's white and slow? The guy gets open and moves the ball in that offense.

I feel the same way about the Hawks receivers last year. Not going knock your socks off in physical talent, but efficient as hell.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was that when evaluating a receiver corps, individual talent should really be irrelevant and production and efficiency within the offense should be what's taken seriously. So, NE has a fair argument. Who cares about where Edelman was or wasn't drafted, or that he's white and slow? The guy gets open and moves the ball in that offense.

I feel the same way about the Hawks receivers last year. Not going knock your socks off in physical talent, but efficient as hell.
Agree, them doing what they are asked to do is what's important.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, as a backup he will be just fine.

I hated it when the Hawks used to sign old and declined vets, even as backups. They're only one or two hits away from starting. There are plenty of young guys out there who can provide more than Davis at this point. I wouldn't even be surprised if he doesn't make the Redskins final squad.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated it when the Hawks used to sign old and declined vets, even as backups. They're only one or two hits away from starting. There are plenty of young guys out there who can provide more than Davis at this point. I wouldn't even be surprised if he doesn't make the Redskins final squad.

Now you are just being crazy. The guy is a great athlete. He is just not a #1 TE anymore but can contribute in the passing and running game.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are just being crazy. The guy is a great athlete. He is just not a #1 TE anymore but can contribute in the passing and running game.

If he plays like last year his tank is empty, regardless of whether he is #1 or back up. I would not hold out hope for him being much of a help in the pass nor the run.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's old. And doesn't want to hang it up. Happens all the time.

Production drops off a cliff in the NFL when age catches up. It's not gradual, and it doesn't come back after a couple years of less than stellar play. Some guys accept this and walk away, some dont. Davis is one the guys that don't

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's old. And doesn't want to hang it up. Happens all the time.

Production drops off a cliff in the NFL when age catches up. It's not gradual, and it doesn't come back after a couple years of less than stellar play. Some guys accept this and walk away, some dont. Davis is one the guys that don't

There are plenty of old TE"s that still contribute to the league.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homer-esq and hammer. I'm actually suprised hammer hasn't banned you for comments like this.
Not sure I would include Seattle and Washington though. Especially Seattle most of their fans have stated for years all they have is pedestrian receivers. Baldwin had a GREAT 5 game stretch and Lockette may become very good but right now I can't agree with your choice.
:fish2:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He hasn't been the same since Kam's hit and that's been a few years now. He's not going to give you much.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well he cracked 60 yards more times than garcon last year, at 4 times

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well he cracked 60 yards more times than garcon last year, at 4 times

If Davis can move the chains on 3rd and short and be a factor in the redzone he will have done his job. Its not all about stats. Garcon didn't have great stats but he did move the chains and did make game winning TD catches. He is a tough WR and any team would love to have him b/c he does the little things like blocking.