• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rank all 30 franchises on all-time cache

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why have Cleveland so high? They haven’t won in forever and haven’t had an impactful HOF since who, Paige? Being represented in “Major League” helps, but they were represented as a joke franchise, so I think that actually ends up being a net negative. They do have nice uniforms, so that certainly helps…

i explained that, read my post again... it was a quick calculation that did not take into account periods in baseball history... if i did a more in depth calculation i would weigh championships differently throughout time...

but the indians lost 3 WS since 1990!!! thats pretty recent...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know what "cache" means in this context but if you buffoons are talking about "cachet", the Phillies got cachet baby. They got cachet out the yingyang!
I flip flopped on the Phillies, tbh. But ultimately, I think I put them in the right tier, so I stand behind my placement. They don’t belong in the same convo with the Sox, Reds, A’s and Braves, and they are certainly more impactful than the Pale Sox, Rangers, etc.

Again, specific ranking within tiers is hard to attack/defend.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i explained that, read my post again... it was a quick calculation that did not take into account periods in baseball history... if i did a more in depth calculation i would weigh championships differently throughout time...

but the indians lost 3 WS since 1990!!! thats pretty recent...
Is there a post I am missing? You just said you ran a calculation. You didn’t explain any of your considerations.

I am not trying attack your list. You appear to have given it more thought than I gave mine. Kudos. I am just curious as to why you have the Indians Guardians ranked so high.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nava has Cleveland in the same spot Milk does.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but are they...LOL...

Looks like on mine and navamind the rangers are a bottom 5 team...
Maybe I have the Rangers ranked too high. That is possible. They haven’t really experienced winning until recently and they don’t have any inner-circle HOFers outside of MAYBE Pudge (Nolan is a vagabond).

But using the Twins as the counter-argument is a little confusing. Puckett is probably their most high-profile HOFer, and he is, imho, a borderline HOFer as it is. Their other well known HOFers all have significant time with other orgs (Winfield, Molitor, Morris). They have won more than an also-ran has won, probably, but the fact they are hidden in Minnesota certainly does not help.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a post I am missing? You just said you ran a calculation. You didn’t explain any of your considerations.

I am not trying attack your list. You appear to have given it more thought than I gave mine. Kudos. I am just curious as to why you have the Indians Guardians ranked so high.

i didnt put much thought in at all... i just calculated...

Basically what i did was took the page from baseball references and put it into an excel... and ranked each team in the categories it gave...

and i took the categories

Games, WL%, <>.500, total playoff appearances, pennants, WS wins, # of HOFers... and i gave a percentage to each category... the percentage was based on my opinion...

But again, in that quick analysis, i was unable to separate periods of time, did not penalize teams for moving cities, did not do anything that a deeper analysis would give...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didnt put much thought in at all... i just calculated...

Basically what i did was took the page from baseball references and put it into an excel... and ranked each team in the categories it gave...

and i took the categories

Games, WL%, <>.500, total playoff appearances, pennants, WS wins, # of HOFers... and i gave a percentage to each category... the percentage was based on my opinion...

But again, in that quick analysis, i was unable to separate periods of time, did not penalize teams for moving cities, did not do anything that a deeper analysis would give...
# of HOFers can be a messy classification. The Giants have a LOT of HOFer that spent just a year or two at the end of their careers. By your calculation Randy Johnson weighs the same as Willie Mays, but Barry Bonds doesn’t carry any weight at all.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
# of HOFers can be a messy classification. The Giants have a LOT of HOFer that spent just a year or two at the end of their careers. By your calculation Randy Johnson weighs the same as Willie Mays, but Barry Bonds doesn’t carry any weight at all.

I agree. But it’s fine for a quick analysis.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but i agree cleveland would be lower on my list at the end... but they are still easily top 20
Top 20 is tough for me. In my list, I had them in the bottom tier, which had 10 teams. I could maybe agree that belong higher in that tier, but I have a hard time moving them out of that tier.

I am placing a lot of weight on “emotional” factors. The Guardians have a rep as being an absolute also-ran for 70 years, but without the “loveable losers” moniker that the Cubs and Sox had. They are just losers.

Recency bias, granted, but changing their name to the lazy “Guardians” doesn’t help their standing in my eyes.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 20 is tough for me. In my list, I had them in the bottom tier, which had 10 teams. I could maybe agree that belong higher in that tier, but I have a hard time moving them out of that tier.

I am placing a lot of weight on “emotional” factors. The Guardians have a rep as being an absolute also-ran for 70 years, but without the “loveable losers” moniker that the Cubs and Sox had. They are just losers.

Recency bias, granted, but changing their name to the lazy “Guardians” doesn’t help their standing in my eyes.

In your admittance, it looks like you give too much credit for the lottery where great players just happen to play for a team. Even if the results were not that great.

Mariners, only had 5 HOFers(not including Arod and Ichiro). So that is 7. Only 7. But there are some of the most elite players of recent ball so you rank them high. But they are just a garbage franchise.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I flip flopped on the Phillies, tbh. But ultimately, I think I put them in the right tier, so I stand behind my placement. They don’t belong in the same convo with the Sox, Reds, A’s and Braves, and they are certainly more impactful than the Pale Sox, Rangers, etc.

Again, specific ranking within tiers is hard to attack/defend.
That's ok. Next time you're at 7-Eleven and want to buy a blunt to celebrate a milestone in your life just ask them for an Athletic and see how that works out for you.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has only made the post season five times in its entire existence. They have never even been to the world series. Any list that doesn't have them in the bottom five isn't serious.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has only made the post season five times in its entire existence. They have never even been to the world series. Any list that doesn't have them in the bottom five isn't serious.
But..but..we have the Mariner Moose! Who is your mascot? Probably a Hubert Humphrey or 85-year-old Bob dylan mannequin.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even those 90s teams aren't as good as I thought. Pretty wild that they had two losing seasons with Griffey/A-Rod/Edgar/Moyer (they also had Randy, but only on the '98 team)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your admittance, it looks like you give too much credit for the lottery where great players just happen to play for a team. Even if the results were not that great.

Mariners, only had 5 HOFers(not including Arod and Ichiro). So that is 7. Only 7. But there are some of the most elite players of recent ball so you rank them high. But they are just a garbage franchise.
And I have them in the bottom tier.

The Rox and Padres, I think, are the clear bottom of the bottom. Maybe they should be in their own 2-team tier. But the difference between the #28 team and the #21 team is very small, and completely open to discussion.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cleveland feels like a somewhat more successful version of the A's in my lifetime. I'd also lump them with the Rays