• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Travel to the Great Northwest to Play Mariners 6/10-6/12

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this next Seattle series we don't see them until the end of August.

Don't see the Astros for awhile either, good news is we only need one more to take the boot. We've faced them 10 of the 19 times for the year and we are 9-1 vs them

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 63rd pick, the Rangers have taken another high school pitcher, righty Alex Speas of Powder Springs, Georgia. He's listed at 6'4", 180 pounds, and is committed to Auburn.

Speas is already throwing in the mid-nineties and has touched 97. I've seen his breaker described as a power slider and a hard curve, and he throws a change that could be decent. While the fastball is a potential monster, Speas is a much rawer prospect than Ragans and will need time to improve his control and command.

For what it's worth, all the sources I mentioned in the previous email rated Speas a better draft prospect than Cole Ragans.

Here's video from MLB.com, Baseball America, and another I found on Youtube.

1st-rounder Cole Ragans is a Florida State commit. Per MLB.com reporter Jon Heyman, Ragans modeled his delivery after Cole Hamels. As MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo noted, putting a Hamels comp on Ragans is overly optimistic, but the reviews are positive.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 63rd pick, the Rangers have taken another high school pitcher, righty Alex Speas of Powder Springs, Georgia. He's listed at 6'4", 180 pounds, and is committed to Auburn.

Speas is already throwing in the mid-nineties and has touched 97. I've seen his breaker described as a power slider and a hard curve, and he throws a change that could be decent. While the fastball is a potential monster, Speas is a much rawer prospect than Ragans and will need time to improve his control and command.

For what it's worth, all the sources I mentioned in the previous email rated Speas a better draft prospect than Cole Ragans.

Here's video from MLB.com, Baseball America, and another I found on Youtube.

1st-rounder Cole Ragans is a Florida State commit. Per MLB.com reporter Jon Heyman, Ragans modeled his delivery after Cole Hamels. As MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo noted, putting a Hamels comp on Ragans is overly optimistic, but the reviews are positive.

Speas sounds like he's the better prospect but Ragans might make it to the majors first

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I like Prince, I can't be assured that his neck wasn't an issue while with the Tigers. The fact that he didn't own up to it and allowed the trade to the Rangers to happen, again without disclosure still chaps my ass. I will say I think he's been hurt since before he got here and still even after the surgery. I blame the Rangers people also for not making sure there was a full physical, along with MRI etc before committing to that trade. All that said, for me, its hard for me to fault him too much for being shitty, cause I think he has been injured and will never be the same.
I do not think he is injured. Seems like every time a guy on our team hits a wall we think he is injured.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think he is injured. Seems like every time a guy on our team hits a wall we think he is injured.

He's having the same issues he had when the neck was bothering him before, not to mention the dramatic drop off a cliff in performace, all sign point to an injury

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rangers_150.png
TEXAS RANGERS
COLE RAGANS, LHP
6'4", 190 LBS
NORTH FLORIDA CHRISTIAN HIGH

Ragan's best tool is his feel for pitching, which scouts can't stop raving about. He shows three above-average pitches, led by a pull-the-string changeup and a 90–92 mph fastball. The upside isn't elite, but he has one of the higher floors of the prep pitchers eligible this year.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's having the same issues he had when the neck was bothering him before, not to mention the dramatic drop off a cliff in performace, all sign point to an injury
Can the Rangers insist on an MRI. IDK but if they can then it's on them.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can the Rangers insist on an MRI. IDK but if they can then it's on them.

Sort of. It's not something that's typically is done, and Prince hid his condition from Detroit. Live and learn and hind sight is 20/20.

Last edited:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of. It's not something that's typically is done, and Prince hid his condition from Detroit. Live and learn and hind sight is 20/20.

You bring up a good point. So let me ask, do you think the Rangers are 100% sure Prince is healthy, or do you know they can't insist on him getting a MRI - whatever medical non-evasive procedure - to insure he is not healthy?

"Can't insist" meaning it would violate the terms o agreement with him/union.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bring up a good point. So let me ask, do you think the Rangers are 100% sure Prince is healthy, or do you know they can't insist on him getting a MRI - whatever medical non-evasive procedure - to insure he is not healthy?

I have no idea if there's terms that would prohibit them from demanding an MRI, but I wouldn't think so. I really don't know the ins and outs of the CBA enough to speak knowledgeably about that.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me that's the thing. If he is not healthy then you would think we would want to verify this. What's the point of playing a person who is not healthy and getting this kind of production. Its not like he would all of a sudden go crazy offensively. Plus the fact he is working on timing tells me health is not the problem.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me that's the thing. If he is not healthy then you would think we would want to verify this. What's the point of playing a person who is not healthy and getting this kind of production. Its not like he would all of a sudden go crazy offensively. Plus the fact he is working on timing tells me health is not the problem.

He could be injured and his timing be off, it doesn't have to be one or the other

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Prince is having health problems again or he is in a slump that has lasted over 2 months or he has fallen off of a cliff. It can be either of those or a combination of them, but it all means the same to me. It means I don't want to count on him from this point forward. He needs to he gotten rid of one way or another.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Either Prince is having health problems again or he is in a slump that has lasted over 2 months or he has fallen off of a cliff. It can be either of those or a combination of them, but it all means the same to me. It means I don't want to count on him from this point forward. He needs to he gotten rid of one way or another.

Well, from reading you guys posts, and listening/reading to the writing/talking-heads, my eye sight must be failing. B/c I really didn't think his bat speed looked so poorly.

But Jared Sandler, said on 105.3 little while ago that Prince isn't even getting around good on avg, to slightly above avg fastballs. 92 mph one's he's late on.