• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Travel to the Great Northwest to Play Mariners 6/10-6/12

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair Derek had had 4 very good starts in a row before tonight. If you take Derek's two terrible outings away from his stats as well as tonight's poor performance he has an ERA of 2.46 in the 9 other starts. If you take the 3 worst starts out of each of the other starters performances who have started all year this year you have ERAs of 2.41, 2.36, and 2.35. Most any of our other starters can have bad starts, even very bad ones, and no one thinks the same way about them as they do Derek. Many will never get past his personality. They just can't.

Colby had 3 terrible starts before the end of May last year and most seemed just fine with him. Why not wait until further in the year before we make a final decision about what Derek is to be this year?
That's now how baseball works...you don't get to take away their worst three starts. I can't get past all the wasted potential of a guy who should be a #2 pitcher for this organization. That's why I am tired of AJM defending him all the time. Great Derek is a fucking BORP! I bet his parents are proud!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair Derek had had 4 very good starts in a row before tonight. If you take Derek's two terrible outings away from his stats as well as tonight's poor performance he has an ERA of 2.46 in the 9 other starts. If you take the 3 worst starts out of each of the other starters performances who have started all year this year you have ERAs of 2.41, 2.36, and 2.35. Most any of our other starters can have bad starts, even very bad ones, and no one thinks the same way about them as they do Derek. Many will never get past his personality. They just can't.

Colby had 3 terrible starts before the end of May last year and most seemed just fine with him. Why not wait until further in the year before we make a final decision about what Derek is to be this year?

Any pitcher can throw up a clunker. You don't get to throw out the bad ones, but you know that. Problem is the expectations. He isn't who everyone thought he would be. He is more of a middle to back end of the rotation guy, that will have some dominant appearances, but lots of 3, 4, 5 starters can do that

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any pitcher can throw up a clunker. You don't get to throw out the bad ones, but you know that. Problem is the expectations. He isn't who everyone thought he would be. He is more of a middle to back end of the rotation guy, that will have some dominant appearances, but lots of 3, 4, 5 starters can do that

Very similar to my thoughts.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doesn't work that way. You can't just "take away their 3 worst starts". His worst starts still count. They resulted in ugly losses. That's part of what you get with him.

And you act like we're basing our opinions of Derek on just this season. His CAREER ERA is 4.3 with a 1.32 WHIP, and that includes his best years. What part of those career numbers and his numbers so far this year lead you to believe he will be anything other than what he's been for the last 5 years?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly this.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm Desi almost

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 run game boys

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, how freaking good has Ian Desmond been this year?!

What a bargain signing!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian w another productive AB, may have missed one or 2 there but made the hit count

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nomaz, see a couple and pick one you can move the runner over on

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's now how baseball works...you don't get to take away their worst three starts. I can't get past all the wasted potential of a guy who should be a #2 pitcher for this organization. That's why I am tired of AJM defending him all the time. Great Derek is a fucking BORP! I bet his parents are proud!
It may not be how baseball works, but I have seen a lot of folks analyze players by doing similar things.

If Derek continues to have 2 completely awful games every 12 starts the way he has in his first 12 then I wouldn't even suggest looking at what he has done outside of his clunkers. If he continues doing what he has done the last 5 games including this one then he will be fine.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bad K there Roog