• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams ST

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No where on the Rams roster are more spots available to be won than on the special teams unit. Overseeing the make-over is new coordinator John Bonamego, a veteran of many seasons and teams at the position. His challenge is to restore the luster and excellence the Rams have displayed on this unit before last year's decline. To be fair, the Rams were among the best for many years by acquiring Zeulein, Hekker, and long snapper McQuaide. The challenges are:

1) Selecting a new placekicker from the following candidates

Sam Sloman - has draft pick pedigree, proven clutch college kicks

Lirim Hajrullahu - years of professional experience, long distance ability, punter to boot (pun intended)

Austin MacGinnis - years of professional experience, known for mid-range consistency

My hope is that all three get to play in four preseason games rather than the two that are currently being speculated. The hope is that all three excel. A trade can then be made like the one that sent Kaare Vedvik from the Ravens to the Vikings for a 5th round pick in the 2020 draft. In light of Aldrick Rosas current legal troubles, the Giants will be in the market. Since Lirim Hajrullahu can punt also, the possibility exists to keep him and either Sloman or MacGinnis and trade Johnny Hekker in a salary cap move and to pick up a mid round draft pick.

2) Selecting the punt and kickoff returners

Our talent evaluators are pretty special themselves for finding free agent returners in the past exemplified by the fact that Natson, Cooper, and Hodge are currently on other NFL rosters. The Rams know they can improve here and the evaluators have brought in Earnest Edwards, Trishton Jackson, Easop Winston, and James Huntley. These four will be competing with incumbent Nsimba Webster, whom I expect to be either the punt or kickoff returner. My favorite for the other return position is Earnest Edwards, but the competition will be fierce.

3) Coverage unit competition

I don't want to risk Terrell Lewis on special teams duty. I expect Terrell Burgess, Brycen Hopkins, Clay Johnston and Jordan Fuller to make the team and contribute on special teams with holdovers David Long, Darious Williams, Nick Scott, Samson, Obo, etc. The UDFA to watch here is Bryan London, the athletic linebacker from Texas State. However, it will be exciting to see which of our highly respected UDFA class does make it!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hekker is not going anywhere via trade because he is a good punter but what is going to keep him with the Rams is he can play QB on STs and he could be the back-up QB if it ever came to that. The other kickers do not have that ability.

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hekker is not going anywhere via trade because he is a good punter but what is going to keep with the Rams is he can play QB on STs and he could be the back-up QB if it ever came to that. The other kickers do not have that ability.
With a new ST coach, how often do you think he'll be used in fakes? I'd assume less now that Fassell is gone.