• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams@Redskins Post-Game Analysis: Rams Win 24-0

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the game to see if the Rams domination last week was a fluke or not. The story was about the Defense and its dominance-AGAIN. After having a boatload of trouble in the early part of the season in all facets of the game and looking like the old Rams, the Rams begun to click for the second game in a row and demonstrated that the win last week was indeed no temporary whiff at success. After we started the game by the defense and stopped the Redskins turning the ball over to the offense, the offense sputtered and looked not-so-good. We had no running game to speak of in the first quarter, Hill was both over and under-throwing receivers, and the O-line began committing penalties enough to take us out of FG range. Out of nowhere, Zuerlein began shanking PATs and FGs to the horror of everyone. We didn’t score a point in the first quarter which is often not a good sign but the defense held Washington scoreless going into the second quarter. We then scored in the second and held the Redskins scoreless to set two more positive goals this year which was back-to-back wins for this season as well as two back-to-back shut-outs; the latter being the first time since 1945. After how we looked at the beginning of the season, this win was very satisfying and many of us reminisced about parallels between this Rams team and many of the past powerhouse teams.

On Offense. The Positives. Hill went 16/33 for 213 yards and 2 TDs and no INTs compared to McCoy’s 20/32, 199 yards and two picks. Mason went 20 carries for 66 yards, with the team generating 30 carries for 131 rushing yards. Tavon Austin had some great break-away runs which were great to finally witness. Cook had 4 catches for 61 yards and 2 TDs and the team generated 329 total yards compared to Washington’s 206. Our O-line finally began playing well after a slow first quarter and we dominated in time of possession and third down efficiency. We now have a PF to PA ratio of 0. Excellent.

On Offense. The Negatives. We were atrocious in the first quarter. Hill was over and under-throwing receivers. He fumbled twice, recovery one and losing one. We had no running game to speak of and the offense had 5 penalties of the team total of 8. The O-line had four in the first quarter alone. Joseph and Barksdale were getting beat on running and pass plays respectively and the O-line gave up 4 sacks for 15 yards. Hill spent much of the first quarter looking over his shoulder. Perhaps next year, we will have a new right side of the O-line. Maybe.

On Defense. The Positives. Two-shut-outs in a row, the first time since 1945 is pretty lofty stuff. We opened with the defense and they did not disappoint. Seven sacks today were accompanied by two INTs and two fumble recoveries. Excellence abounds. Laurinaitus and Quinn had 1.5 sacks each, Hayes, Donald, Sims, and Barron all had one each. McLeod and McDonald had one INT each. Trumaine Johnson was high man on tackles with 8 and Ogletree and Laurinaitus had 7 and 6 respectively. We were so dominate, we held Washington to under 130 yards total offense going into the fourth quarter. They finished the game with just 206. We held the entire Washington running game to 12 carries for a meager 27 yards. Damn, Ram tough!!:yahoo:

On Defense. The Negatives. There’s not much here except for Williams has to give up that prevent D that leaves a huge 10-yard hole right behind Laurinaitus. Washington exploited that today and it is not a good defense.

On Special Teams. The Positives. After signing a big contract extension this past week, Hekker continued his excellent play by nailing punts deep into Redskins territory and throwing a fake PAT for two points to Cory Harkey. As a whole, the STs played quite well. Austin had a great day as a returner and after three tries of good returns, he and the STs blew one open. Austin finished the day 4 carries on returns for 143 yards and 1 TD! Their techniques have substantially improved to avoid ref crews who are poignant at finding errors with our STs. Kudos to these guys, Hekker, and Coach Fassel.

On Special Teams. The Negatives. One player sums it up. Greg Zuerlein. Apparently he has developed some sort of mental obstacle because he shanked (wide right) three kicks in a row: One PAT, and two FGs. These errors cost us points and he finally hit a FG going 1/3 on the day. I hope this is not a trend with this guy.

We still have a slim chance to get into the playoffs. Next week is a big game against the Cardinals and I would like to see us dominate these guys. We owe them a humiliating loss just like the one they served up here in Arizona. We also have a chance to have our first winning season in nearly a decade. Some nice steps to a team that Snisher are bringing back from the brink of perpetual long-term disaster. Vita and SJ76have been right all along and a little patience was required of all of us to finally see this team realize its potential. Damn it is good to be a Rams fan!!!:yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

tnerb57

Rams 50+ Club Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seemingly newfound dominance by the D is what I expected for the season, going in. Better late than never. I now have, albeit slim, hopes that Schottenheimer will continue to improve as an OC, and that Bradford, as a result, can stay healthy, or somewhere near that, for a season.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,595.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win by the Rams, their defense is very good.

tnerb57

Rams 50+ Club Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win by the Rams, their defense is very good.

Shall I respond to you the way you did to me the other day? No, I choose to remain on this site for awhile. Enjoy your teflon status while is lasts.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Snake Eyes. Hey TNerb, good to see you are still around.

tnerb57

Rams 50+ Club Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Snake Eyes. Hey TNerb, good to see you are still around.

Thanks man. Taking measures to keep the wifey out of the frequent hospital stay cycle. Hopefully will afford more Sunday visits here.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man how time flies and we are already 3 games away from the end...

tnerb57

Rams 50+ Club Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man how time flies and we are already 3 games away from the end...

Not from the end, Grasshopper, but from a new beginning.

Rams in 2016!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no complaints about the defense today. We put a beating on Colt McCoy and held them to around 200 yards total offense, with their running game pretty much non-existent. Other than the first time, the only time they really seemed to move the ball was in garbage time. From what I saw of the Redskins, they had the look of a team that is already looking towards the offseason and had no interest in being on the football field today. No leadership at all and the coach looks clueless. As a side note, loved hearing what Fletcher said about Haslett.

As for the offense, not a horrible day but not great either. I think we all agree that for this team to get better, we need a legit starting QB and that is neither Hill or Davis. As a positive, we didn't turn it over and moved the ball just about every drive. The other negatives is the offensive line. Barksdale couldn't block Kerrigan to save his life. Also wish someone would smack some sense into Tayvon Austin for hotdogging it after he got the first down. That shit should not be tolerated.

Thankfully the Zuerlein misses that cost us 7 points didn't come back to bite us. Really hope that he got that out of his system today and that he has perfect aim Thursday night.

While the playoff chances are all but nonexistent, I still would like to see this team finish on a positive note and with a winning record at the end of the season.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great write up Retro!! Nice to see the Rams put up two wins in a row.

Btw what did DJ do?

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice write up Retro. Any body notice who went out for the coin toss? Gotta love Fisher but he must always sit in the back of the car cuz his balls got shotgun. :clap:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks jacobarch and Ozarkram for your kind words.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent write up as always retro. These last few Sundays have been a blast. My local liquor store owner is loving me these days!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice write up Retro. Any body notice who went out for the coin toss? Gotta love Fisher but he must always sit in the back of the car cuz his balls got shotgun. :clap:
:pound:

Okay, now that I'm done laughing....

Excellent Job Retro!

It was good to see Cookie get into the mix and score some TD's. He and Hill are hooking up quite well since we are missing Quick.

I was a little worried about this game because Fisher tends to look ahead to his Division games and this being a short week and all it could have been a let down.

Glad to see the game at hand was the most important!

Now lets go roast some red bird and see if we can make them lay a goose egg on offense too this time around! :yahoo:

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always retro great write up and right on. A few small things. First, I agree completely about the prevent defense. I said it on the site as it was happening. Williams MUST continue to be aggressive or the Rams will not mature enough to be elite. The foot on the throttle and the opponents throat is the only way to win. Second, is does Shotts know what a screen is? During the time that Barksdale and Joseph were getting beat soundly, a WR screen, TE screen, RB screen all would have stopped the solid rush from the right side. When a player is struggling, help him and the screen game slows the DE and blitz. Finally, Shank-a tron as I called him several times yesterday will get out of the funk. The Rams were lucky that it did not affect the game adversely in the outcome but at home or in ideal conditions he has been OK. As was stated at the start of the game the footing was not good and he may go into the ball harder than most with his plant foot and not got through it. Anyway it was a great team win, 2 in a row, 2 shutouts in a row, a coming out party possible this week to get to 500 against a playoff bound club, what more can you want considering where we been. Go Rams.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take on the plant foot, hadn't thought of that. The ball was coming off his foot oddly, as he clearly was not striking it as he normally would. Even his make was hooked back in, like a golfer over-correcting, fighting his swing instead of striking it solidly.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sending the seven players picked up from the RGIII trade out for the coin toss was a master touch.

I loved that.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam I missed the coin toss. That's hilarious, but I think I would just thank my lucky chickens that Washington was so dumb and play ball. No sense in rubbing salt in the wound. Unless of course you want to go al out and pick up RG3 next year. lol