• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams hire Washington Redskins OC Sean McVay as the new HC

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita 2 QB's with our OL? come on.
I know what you are saying but placing another on the PS is a way to keep 3 in house. I have a bigger problem with your first point.

So no veteran QB? Yikes. :noidea:

The number of NFL starts between Goff and Mannion would be the greater concern.

Just not too many FA QB's with a number of NFL starts, that are cheaper/better than Case.... so we may try to resign.

I just think Case feels he can do better somewhere else, because even under McVay, he wont get the chance at open tryouts for the starting job.

Getting Goff to be the Franchise guy is part of the reason the Rams brass brought in McVay to run the show.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you are saying but placing another on the PS is a way to keep 3 in house. I have a bigger problem with your first point.

The number of NFL starts between Goff and Mannion would be the greater concern.

Just not too many FA QB's cheaper/better than Case.... so we may try to resign.

I just think Case feels he can do better somewhere else, because even under McVay, he wont get the chance at open tryouts for the starting job.

Getting Goff to be the Franchise guy is part of the reason the Rams brass brought in McVay to run the show.

I agree this is Goffs team now. Plus I don't think Case was to happy getting Yanked out last year. He will be gone most likely. I was surprised Case made 3.6m last year pretty expensive.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keenum will be looking elsewhere for an opportunity to start.

Last edited:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought too. Gotta to be more to the story, maybe he was to actually interview for the OL job?

Everyone knows we could use some talent there.

Just read that teams are not apparently not required to allow position coaches to interview for coordinator gigs.

Must be the promotion has to be a HC position I'm thinking.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, but when you realize you are wrong, best to fess up, and acknowledge it.

Sort of bugs when people just ignore it when they are wrong, or try to restate their original statement in an attempt to save face.

Dammit, just admit it!

Because when you do, like you said, it's no biggie.
I feel the same way. I have no problem admitting it if I'm wrong on something. It's just a message board, no reason for anyone to get bent out of shape over something so insignificant.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that teams are not apparently not required to allow position coaches to interview for coordinator gigs.

Must be the promotion has to be a HC position I'm thinking.

That is bs, should be for any promotion, maybe he can pull a George Constanza and try to get fired.

costanza-trophy-o.gif

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the same way. I have no problem admitting it if I'm wrong on something. It's just a message board, no reason for anyone to get bent out of shape over something so insignificant.

What is the point of living if you cant act irrational from time to time?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is bs, should be for any promotion, maybe he can pull a George Constanza and try to get fired.

costanza-trophy-o.gif
That type of stance could hurt the Dolphins ability to hire up and coming coaching assistants in the future.

I know if I were in the position for hire with options, and was aware of that going on, I would do just that.
Go somewhere else that wouldn't try to keep you down.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That type of stance could hurt their ability to hire up and coming coaching assistants.

I know if I were in the position for hire with options, and was aware of that going on, I would do just that.
Go somewhere else that wouldn't try to keep you down.

Yeah, he wont do that. It sucks for everyone by him being blocked.

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize who Sean McVay was until he was in conversation to be our next coach. He did a damn good job with the Redskins offense. Welcome aboard, Sean. I really hope you can turn our dysfunctional team around.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the point of living if you cant act irrational from time to time?
Not saying that you can't act that way at all. Hell, I've made an ass out of myself on here numerous times but looking back, I admit that I'm the only one to blame.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who will McVay bring in as OC?

He worked with both Matt Cavanaugh and Wes Phillips in Washington. Matt has a lot of experience and is more prone to running the ball than Sean would probably like, and Wes doesn't have any experience in play calling. (Been there and done that, but who knows)

A couple of other experience OC's on the open market would be Norv Turner, (Just don't see him being a good fit because he is a 'my way or the highway' type. Then there is Bill Musgrave,another OC with a ton of experience. he too is a run heavy OC and may not work well with what McVay brings but still a ton of success in his 8 years as OC.

Some long shots would be names like Chip Kelly, Sonny Dykes and Randy Clements.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean McVay will call plays, fit scheme to players

The Rams were obviously impressed with Sean McVay’s offensive acumen or they wouldn’t have made him the youngest head coach in the NFL.

He’ll get a chance to show off that acumen as the team’s offensive play caller. McVay confirmed that he’d be the one responsible for calling the plays at a Friday press conference and said that the plays he’ll be calling will be based on a scheme built around the strengths of players like quarterback Jared Goff, running back Todd Gurley and wide receiver Tavon Austin.

“What I think dictates and determines what a great coach is when you talk about forming an offensive identity, it’s about first let’s figure out what our players do best,” McVay said. “What does Jared do best? How can we maximize Todd and Tavon and our linemen up front?”

McVay has not hired an offensive coordinator yet and one candidate, Dolphins offensive line coach Chris Foerster, has been blocked from interviewing for the position. Whoever does get the job will certainly have a hand in putting together the plan for the offense on a weekly basis, but they won’t be the one telling Goff what to run.