• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams 2006 Draft

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it is was a gutted scouting department, a completely insane Queen Idiot owner, FO in-fighting like no tomorrow, and Mike Martz, who outside of his offensive prowess, sucks as a head coach.

Exactly. Also Jay Zigmunt thinking he was actually a football guy instead of just a salary cap guru. He and Martz hated each other and Zigmunt won.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their all still idiots. Not much had changed. The rams could have absolutely killed it the last 3 years will so many picks in the top 45.

A blind man with 1 finger could have played spin the football at their draft board and hit a good few players the past 3 years.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you image the Offense and Defense if we would have if say we had a Jim Harbaugh or Ozzie Newsome draft the last 3 years SJ76? Yowser, we'd be badass and kickin butt. But instead we are limping along. La Dee Dah!!!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams aren't the same situation as those teams though. As you noted previously, there is very little carry-over from the pre-Fisher rosters/drafts. That's a hell of a long path back to a quality NFL roster. Newsome is among the best GMs in the game (if not the best), but he has also been GM for 12 years with one team. Give Snead some time to build his depth chart.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is the "give the man some time" mantra we Rams fans are used to because we have been so stupid in by-passing excellent players that were available to us. If I remember correctly, Newsome had great drafts from the get-go. He didn't need "time" to build his depth chart Shopson. It didn't take him long to put together a great franchise. Snisher on the other hand keep finding projects and we all wait another year for the projects to be real players that other franchises like San Fran and Baltimore routinely experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is the "give the man some time" mantra we Rams fans are used to because we have so stupid in by-passing excellent players that were avaialbe to us. If I remember correctly, Newsome had great drafts from the get-go. He didn't need "time" to build his depth chart Shopson. It didn't take him long to put together a great franchise. Snisher on the other hand keep finding projects and we all wait another year for the projects to be real players that other franchises like San Fran And Baltimore routinely experience.

Newsome became the GM in 2002, inheriting a playoff team that went 10-6 and lost to the Steelers in the division round of the playoffs. You're not comparing apples to apples here, as Snead is only just starting his 3rd season after inheriting a 2 win team.

Besides, Newsome didn't improve on those 10 wins until 2006, his fifth year with the club, posting 7 wins in his first year as GM in 2002, 10 wins in 2003 and a wildcard round loss, 9 wins in 2004, and 5 wins in 2005 before winning 13 in 2006 (and a division round exit).

Having a solid roster already in place allows a team to draft solely on talent and not need. Rams haven't reached that level yet, but should be getting close.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long will Fisher and Snead have left after this draft if the Rams don't elevate themselves into the top echelon of the league? They have had a king's ransom of great picks to turn this franchise around. If they don't do it in the next two years I would guess that we will see the end of the Fisher/Snead era. If this isn't how you build a Super Bowl winner---with all the high draft picks the Rams have had, then answer me this; exactly then what is the formula? There is no excuse or reason if the coaches and GM know what they're doing that a franchise put in this position can't win a SB in two or three years. If they don't the Fisher/Snead tenure will be over and considered a failure. But if you want to get to .500 and stay there......Fisher is your man.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsome became the GM in 2002, inheriting a playoff team that went 10-6 and lost to the Steelers in the division round of the playoffs. You're not comparing apples to apples here, as Snead is only just starting his 3rd season after inheriting a 2 win team.

Besides, Newsome didn't improve on those 10 wins until 2006, his fifth year with the club, posting 7 wins in his first year as GM in 2002, 10 wins in 2003 and a wildcard round loss, 9 wins in 2004, and 5 wins in 2005 before winning 13 in 2006 (and a division round exit).

Having a solid roster already in place allows a team to draft solely on talent and not need. Rams haven't reached that level yet, but should be getting close.

O.K. I'll give you that but it took Jimmy Johnson how long to get three rings with an aged Cowboys team he totally re-vamped? Just three short years and then they won three rings. Do you see that happening with the Rams at year three (this year)? I don't think so. I rest my case.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long will Fisher and Snead have left after this draft if the Rams don't elevate themselves into the top echelon of the league? They have had a king's ransom of great picks to turn this franchise around. If they don't do it in the next two years I would guess that we will see the end of the Fisher/Snead era. If this isn't how you build a Super Bowl winner---with all the high draft picks the Rams have had, then answer me this; exactly then what is the formula? There is no excuse or reason if the coaches and GM know what they're doing that a franchise put in this position can't win a SB in two or three years. If they don't the Fisher/Snead tenure will be over and considered a failure. But if you want to get to .500 and stay there......Fisher is your man.

That could very well be. I think Snead could outlast Fisher if a change is made though, depending on how much power is given to Fisher's replacement.

Anyone can build a SB winner in 2 to 3 years with 3 extra high draft picks? Tell that to all the teams that have NEVER won, or even appeared in a SB. A bit of an overstatement?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are incorrigable. I present evidence to the contrary of your statements and you come back with I am either condescending, or overstating, or immature. How many high draft picks did we get from the RGIII trade over a two year period? Vita even laid out a very nice schematic indicating what we did them.

You know what. I am done with trying to reason with you. You want a war, you got one!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could very well be. I think Snead could outlast Fisher if a change is made though, depending on how much power is given to Fisher's replacement.

Anyone can build a SB winner in 2 to 3 years with 3 extra high draft picks? Tell that to all the teams that have NEVER won, or even appeared in a SB. A bit of an overstatement?

Amazing. Your logic, or lack thereof continues to amaze me Shopson. How about all the teams that built a SB winner WITHOUT the benefits of the high picks the Rams have had? And if you're waiting any longer than 3 years you are losing veterans to age, retirement and declining abilities. Please tell me what exactly YOUR formula is for building a winner if it isn't this. :noidea: :what: :drink:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing. Your logic, or lack thereof continues to amaze me Shopson. How about all the teams that built a SB winner WITHOUT the benefits of the high picks the Rams have had? And if you're waiting any longer than 3 years you are losing veterans to age, retirement and declining abilities. Please tell me what exactly YOUR formula is for building a winner if it isn't this. :noidea: :what: :drink:

Retro had a good example with Johnson's Cowboys, which is a similar situation with the Herschel Walker trade (although that was an even bigger prize in terms of players and picks, and was mostly executed better to this point in the evaluation). It's very difficult to find an example of a team that was as poorly managed as the Rams before Snisher, so it's going to take more than 3 years. This roster was largely bereft of talent when Snisher arrived, with only a handful of players still on the roster less than 3 years later. Find me an example of that much turnover that resulted in a Super Bowl in 3 years. I can't think of anything close.

Super Bowl winners simply aren't built that quickly from a team that was among the worst of the previous decade, especially in the salary cap era. I know the GSOT is still all fresh in our minds, but Martz and the following regimes destroyed the roster to an unrecognizable corpse.