• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Raiders: Are They Leaving Oakland Again?

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owner Mark Davis: Oakland is on its 'last chance' to keep Raiders - CBSSports.com

The Raiders want a new stadium and if something doesn't happen soon, they might be leaving Oakland. Owner Mark Davis said this week that he wants to stay in the city where his team has been since 1995, but he needs to see some progress as far as stadium planning goes.

An investment group led by the world's third-largest privately held real estate firm, Colony Capital LLC, made headlines in October when they promised to redevelop the coliseum-area into a 'sports and entertainment center.'

"We are very enthusiastic about the opportunity… to develop this unique property, which we expect will become a transformational and vital urban, residential sports and entertainment center for [Oakland]," Colony CEO Thomas J. Barrack, Jr. said in October, via the Oakland Tribune.

If Colony Capital's plans fizzle out though, the Raiders will likely be leaving Oakland.

"I don't want to call it a last-ditch effort, but it does seem to be the last chance that Oakland is going to get," Davis told the San Francisco Chronicle. "We can't continue to play in that stadium, with the baseball field and all of that stuff."

The Raiders lease at O.co Coliseum actually expired after the 2013 season and the team could've looked at moving to another city, but Davis and the Raiders agreed to a one-year extension to stay in Oakland. Davis made the agreement with hopes of seeing the stadium project move forward in 2014.

The Colony Capital deal looked promising when it was announced in October, but almost five months later, Davis hasn't heard anything regarding the project moving forward.

"They brought in Colony Capital and based on that, I decided to go ahead and do a one-year extension with them. But there's been no progress," Davis said. "I had high hopes when Colony Capital came in. I still do have hopes, but they're not as high because I haven't really heard anything positive from either group. It's gone silent again. We have to get something done."

If something doesn't get done, then 2014 could be the Raiders final year in Oakland. However, Davis didn't want to talk about a possible move to another city, "I don't want to talk about using someplace else for leverage," Davis said. "If I get something done in Oakland, I am staying."

The Raiders had a chance to move-in with the 49ers at their new stadium, but Davis decided that wasn't in the best interest of his team. That's a decision he still doesn't regret, "I really believe with the 49ers moving down to Santa Clara, and leaving the San Francisco Bay Area, that it leaves it wide open for someone to say, 'Wow, this is really a good opportunity for Oakland,' Davis said.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His just like his Dad moving back & forth now. When you get to L.A. find yourself a barber and stop having your wife use the soup bowl to cut your hair looking like Dumb & Dumber. :laugh3::laugh3:

Mark-Davis-Oakland-move.final.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should move

My brother-n-law lives outside Sacramento...he says OAK is never going to build a new stadium with public funds and the OAC is a dump in a dump.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
My brother-n-law lives outside Sacramento...he says OAK is never going to build a new stadium with public funds and the OAC is a dump in a dump.

It's all true. Oakland is the Detroit of California. It's a crap hole.

They're so broke from their pension bubble they can't even afford to respond to non-emergency calls to the police any more. There's no way they'll put public funds into a stadium.

Stockton isn't far behind though. People here in Crapramento have T-shirts that say "I survived Stoockton."

Wedgie

My 8yr old me would love 59yo me.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Stockton was the first American City to face bankruptcy.

Meh, I'm too lazy to google atm....

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I thought Stockton was the first American City to face bankruptcy.

Meh, I'm too lazy to google atm....

Stockton might've been first, but I know Vallejo at least filed at one point.

Detroit went bankrupt too.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Davis is just in hike the skirt mode for cities around that region trying to see what the best deal can be so his cheap ass run franchise can continue to try to make the most money for the least amount effort. Just like his Dad.

49ers are run by one of the worst cheapskate owners in the biz, York, but they still were able to eventually get a stadium deal done in Santa Clara which is a massive improvement over Candledump park.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Mark Davis is just in hike the skirt mode for cities around that region trying to see what the best deal can be so his cheap ass run franchise can continue to try to make the most money for the least amount effort. Just like his Dad.

49ers are run by one of the worst cheapskate owners in the biz, York, but they still were able to eventually get a stadium deal done in Santa Clara which is a massive improvement over Candledump park.

Jed York being cheap is a myth that has been thoroughly debunked, but getting the stadium actually has nothing to do with how cheap the ownership is. It's just all about how sweet of a deal they can get. And you're right that Santa Clara >>>>>> SF.

I think it's completely stupid that public money goes to fund these things in the first place (help the billionaires fun), and I think it's a bald-faced lie to say the public gets more back on a "return" on the investment (it only goes to a tiny slice of the local population), but it's what people want I guess.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The SF political climate is not amenable to the standard publicly financed stadium deals. Only the SF Giants were able to get a deal done and that's because it was privately financed. I really don't think it has anything to do with how cheap an owner is. Most of them want to spend as less money from their own pocket as possible. It's just good business, since some city will always be willing to make the deal happen. It's why teams always use LA as leverage.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all true. Oakland is the Detroit of California. It's a crap hole.

They're so broke from their pension bubble they can't even afford to respond to non-emergency calls to the police any more. There's no way they'll put public funds into a stadium.

Stockton isn't far behind though. People here in Crapramento have T-shirts that say "I survived Stoockton."

Wow...the last time I was out there I wondered why we avoided OAK...he said there's no reason for us to go there unless we're looking for trouble.

On public funded stadiums...I agree...the projected new ATL stadium does have about 20% public funding from hotel/motel/airport vehicle rental tax...owner covers any cost overruns above the public commitment...so as long as conventions, airport travel stays strong we locals won't come of out pocket unless you rent hotels in ATL, etc...some people are still fighting it, but if not for that, this deal would not have passed.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow...the last time I was out there I wondered why we avoided OAK...he said there's no reason for us to go there unless we're looking for trouble.

On public funded stadiums...I agree...the projected new ATL stadium does have about 20% public funding from hotel/motel/airport vehicle rental tax...owner covers any cost overruns above the public commitment...so as long as conventions, airport travel stays strong we locals won't come of out pocket unless you rent hotels in ATL, etc...some people are still fighting it, but if not for that, this deal would not have passed.

It's amazing that Atl is getting not one, but two new stadiums. Turner Field and the Georgia Dome aren't even that old. Meanwhile, we are languishing out here in California with some of the oldest stadiums in all of sports. Thank goodness for Levi Stadium.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing that Atl is getting not one, but two new stadiums. Turner Field and the Georgia Dome aren't even that old. Meanwhile, we are languishing out here in California with some of the oldest stadiums in all of sports. Thank goodness for Levi Stadium.

They're not...Braves moving came of left field...pardon the pun.

I lived in ATL in a early 80s for a short stint when Fulton County Stadium was home to the Braves & Falcons...moved back in '96. Olympic year...Opening & closing, track & field were held at what is now Turner Field...they tore down about a 3rd of it and converted it to a baseball venue and actually did a pretty good job. The problem was location...it's not really downtown (outskirts of downtown) and in a bad area, no public transportation right by it.

The city sold the Braves on this grand redevelopment project, mixed use development...delayed many times, then the economy tanked...Braves finally had enough and quietly started talks with Cobb County and there you go....new stadium.

The GA Dome isn't that old either (also built for the Olympics)...that was more the owner wanting a better venue, and a bigger chunk of stadium generated revenue so he bucked up $800 large...the city will still own it ironically. With the current trend of new stadium = superbowl, I think ATL will get their pound of flesh back out of it...imo that was a no brainer.

Cali...no worries, you guys have the weather!

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His just like his Dad moving back & forth now. When you get to L.A. find yourself a barber and stop having your wife use the soup bowl to cut your hair looking like Dumb & Dumber. :laugh3::laugh3:

Mark-Davis-Oakland-move.final.jpg

That is funny stuff, Lakersboy!! :clap: :laugh3:

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not...Braves moving came of left field...pardon the pun.

I lived in ATL in a early 80s for a short stint when Fulton County Stadium was home to the Braves & Falcons...moved back in '96. Olympic year...Opening & closing, track & field were held at what is now Turner Field...they tore down about a 3rd of it and converted it to a baseball venue and actually did a pretty good job. The problem was location...it's not really downtown (outskirts of downtown) and in a bad area, no public transportation right by it.

The city sold the Braves on this grand redevelopment project, mixed use development...delayed many times, then the economy tanked...Braves finally had enough and quietly started talks with Cobb County and there you go....new stadium.

The GA Dome isn't that old either (also built for the Olympics)...that was more the owner wanting a better venue, and a bigger chunk of stadium generated revenue so he bucked up $800 large...the city will still own it ironically. With the current trend of new stadium = superbowl, I think ATL will get their pound of flesh back out of it...imo that was a no brainer.

Cali...no worries, you guys have the weather!

Ga dome was built for superbowls and conventions not the olympics....but it is now outdated for current stadium trends and economic models. Plus always seemed dumb to be playing football indoors in the fall in atlanta.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their stadium is a shithole and so is Oakland.

When I moved to the bay I went to a few Raiders/A's games. The experience at 49'rs and Giants games are so much better, even if the seats were shitty.

And the so called roughness of the Raiders fans is a total myth.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their stadium is a shithole and so is Oakland.

When I moved to the bay I went to a few Raiders/A's games. The experience at 49'rs and Giants games are so much better, even if the seats were shitty.

And the so called roughness of the Raiders fans is a total myth.

It's true Raider fans are people too, some of the coolest people you will ever meet, the ones you have to watch out for aren't at the games.