• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Raider Week

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they feel they can win that challenge why not? Besides, they’d still have to have a “legit” reason to challenge the play anyway. If it’s a clear catch because OPI for example a coach isn’t going to challenge the catch to draw the penalty. The risk to the timeout lost and other legit challenges is too high. Only the plays that typically draw challenges under today’s construct would continue to draw challenges for the same reasons they currently draw them.

Sounds like backyard football where the older kid gets to set his own rules on challenges.

NFL needs firm challenge rules. Either something is allowed to be challenged or not. It would open up a can of worms for the NFL. You will never see it fly, IMO.

What constitutes a "legit" reason to be challenged?

People are going to be throwing the flag all the time to get a PI if you allow this to happen.

Bill Belicheat swears Gronk caught that ball that Brady threw 20 row up in the stands. A bug got in his eyes and his technology in the booth is out so he wants it reviewed so he can be 100% sure, oh and btw.. Look at the PI while you challenge the catch!

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like backyard football where the older kid gets to set his own rules on challenges.

NFL needs firm challenge rules. Either something is allowed to be challenged or not. It would open up a can of worms for the NFL. You will never see it fly, IMO.

What constitutes a "legit" reason to be challenged?

People are going to be throwing the flag all the time to get a PI if you allow this to happen.

Bill Belicheat swears Gronk caught that ball that Brady threw 20 row up in the stands. A bug got in his eyes and his technology in the booth is out so he wants it reviewed so he can be 100% sure, oh and btw.. Look at the PI while you challenge the catch!

Whenever a coach makes a challenge he always has to state what he’s challenging. The spot. A catch. Before all turnovers were reviewed down by contact was a common challenge. None of this has to change. All I am arguing is if a coach challenges for one of the EXISTING reasons a play can be challenged and at the point of the play there is a penalty it should be assessed. I really don’t think the hyperbole you describe is going to happen.

Agree with me or not, I’m content to move on from this topic. The NFL isn’t perfect and it never will be. But some of the things they can do to improve are not that hard to implement.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. I fully understand a coach has to state what he is challenging a play. That still doesn't change the fact that if a coach can challenge a catch and while they are reviewing the challenge of a catch they notice a PI that a coach isn't going to see a PI and say he is challenging a catch just to in reality catch the PI. So you're going to have challenging of penalties and not catches, yardage, etc a lot more. It's just a loop hole/ round about way to challenge a penalty. Therefore, penalties are being challenged not the actual spot/catch. It's gonna happen a lot. PI is a spot foul. If a team bombs a pass 60 yards down the field, that is a huge penalty. You can't tell me coaches aren't gonna throw a flag claiming they are challenging the catch even if it doesn't even hit him in the hands just to challenge a PI. They would only be smart to in a case like that. Plus defensive holding you could dang near find an offensive or defensive holding on any play. Anytime someone catches a game winning touchdown. Defensive coach is gonna challenge that he didn't catch the ball knowing dang well he did just to catch some sorta of defensive holding.

it would only be smart of them.

That is why you don't have penalties challenged. That simple reason.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Example

Head Coach- Draft Crazy

Quarterback- SpringStein
Wide Receiver- LGM
Cornerback- Mingo
ref- Orange Crush 77

HUT HUT HIKE!

LGM goes deep. SpringStein has a very weak arm. LGM goes 20 yards down the field… SpringStein can only throw it 14 yards. Mingo being the old man that he is grabs anything he can to keep LGM from catching the ball.

Ref Orange Crush is blind as a bat. As Mingo is holding LGM’s hands down, Orange Crush misses the call. SpringStein very upset runs over to me pouting about the no call.

As the head coach it dawns on me, ok I can’t challenge the penalty. But I am going to challenge the catch. I clearly know LGM did not catch the ball (even if SpringStein could hit him he’d never catch it), so I am going to throw the flag on this play and challenge the catch…. Ref comes back, after further review it has been confirmed that SpringStein can’t throw and LGM can’t catch and Mingo can't cover and OC can't see... However, there was a penalty for PI on the play so 20 yards first down.

Instant replay is going to be finishing out every game.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Example

Head Coach- Draft Crazy

Quarterback- SpringStein
Wide Receiver- LGM
Cornerback- Mingo
ref- Orange Crush 77

HUT HUT HIKE!

LGM goes deep. SpringStein has a very weak arm. LGM goes 20 yards down the field… SpringStein can only throw it 14 yards. Mingo being the old man that he is grabs anything he can to keep LGM from catching the ball.

Ref Orange Crush is blind as a bat. As Mingo is holding LGM’s hands down, Orange Crush misses the call. SpringStein very upset runs over to me pouting about the no call.

As the head coach it dawns on me, ok I can’t challenge the penalty. But I am going to challenge the catch. I clearly know LGM did not catch the ball (even if SpringStein could hit him he’d never catch it), so I am going to throw the flag on this play and challenge the catch…. Ref comes back, after further review it has been confirmed that SpringStein can’t throw and LGM can’t catch and Mingo can't cover and OC can't see... However, there was a penalty for PI on the play so 20 yards first down.

Instant replay is going to be finishing out every game.
I see what you’re saying

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind playing CB - as long as my disabilities can be accommodated.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Several controversial calls nearly cost the Broncos this game
  2. No need to debate different ways to run the NFL at this point. The Broncos beat the Raiders. That's all that needs to be said.
  3. Shut this thread down. It's Baltimore Ravens week! (or is it Ravans?.....hehehe)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cool thing - is that this Bronco's team overcame all of those things and won the game. Last year's team could not do that - period. Big improvement.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cool thing - is that this Bronco's team overcame all of those things and won the game. Last year's team could not do that - period. Big improvement.

Agree- Last year we found ways to lose games, this year we are finding ways to win games.

Good teams find ways to win.
Bad teams find ways to lose.