• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rahim officially done for year.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 46m

Rahim Moore was placed on IR with designation to return. But it was last week any team could use the designation. It was always a long shot.

Roto, a week ago -

Broncos FS Rahim Moore (lateral compartment syndrome) has yet to be cleared for a running program.

Moore suffered a recent setback with his leg injury, putting his chances of returning for the postseason in jeopardy.

Was there really any chance he was going to come back this year? This injury was one of the more odd the team has faced the past few years, and I was under the impression this could almost be a career ending type thing.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Adams' play. He's gonna need to step up big in the playoffs.

Sucks for Rahim though. I bet he was just dying to get back to the postseason and play well after what happened last year.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my understanding of the injury it is career ending if they catch it late because that results in nerve damage and possibly amputation. From what I heard, they caught it very early and got it fixed ASAP. That is a bummer. I am sure Rahim Moore was ready to get some redemption.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my understanding of the injury it is career ending if they catch it late because that results in nerve damage and possibly amputation. From what I heard, they caught it very early and got it fixed ASAP. That is a bummer. I am sure Rahim Moore was ready to get some redemption.
what a weird injury though, I ve never heard of such a thing

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore underwent emergency leg surgery to address the issue early Monday morning. The surgery likely saved his limb, and a closer look at his condition shows why.

Inside the leg and arm, many different muscles control the complex motions of the upper and lower limbs. Tough, minimally stretchable tissue known as fascia binds groups of these muscles into so-called compartments For instance, the anterior compartment of the leg contains the muscles around the shin that are responsible for pulling the toes upward. Similarly, the lateral compartment holds those on the outside of the leg that point the toes down and evert the sole of the foot outward. Compartments also exist within the arms and other areas of the body.
For a better picture, imagine PVC pipes sitting on end within a garbage can. The garbage can represents the circumference of the leg as a whole, and the PVC pipes represent compartments. Inside each pipe sit the aforementioned muscles. Relatively speaking, fascia can expand more than PVC piping—but not much. As a result, when significant trauma causes fluid to accumulate within a compartment via swelling or bleeding, serious problems can occur due to the rising pressure. If the amount of accumulating fluid increases the pressure past a critical point, blood cannot flow into the compartment itself. In other words, the leg cuts off its own blood supply and nerves. Without blood flow, muscles within the affected compartment can die within a few to several hours. Permanent nerve damage can also result. Further down the line, dying muscle can induce a process known as rhabdomyolysis as breakdown products reach the blood stream. Rhabdomyolysis can lead to severe kidney damage, among other problems.

Yeah, crazy injury. I feel for Moore, I think he was playing well before the injury. I hope he comes back full strength next season and has a big year.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have there been many successful returns from this type of injury that you guys know of? I'm sure there have to be a couple cases at least. Any notable players?

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only Pro Players I know of were Eddie Royal and Jason Taylor.

Eddie had it happen in Spring camp at VT but was lucky enough to catch it early.

Not sure if Jason Taylors was college or pro and recovered quickly as well but had complications from the surgery.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually remember that about Eddie now that you say it. I still don't fully understand the entire dynamic of the injury, but again, they say they caught it early enough where he should fully recover, so I guess that's all that matters. He was having another damn fine year when it happened. Adams has filled in pretty well for him though, so I just hope he keeps is up.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not good at all but wasnt expecting him back. Hopefully he can recover from that injury. Time for others to step up.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually remember that about Eddie now that you say it. I still don't fully understand the entire dynamic of the injury, but again, they say they caught it early enough where he should fully recover, so I guess that's all that matters. He was having another damn fine year when it happened. Adams has filled in pretty well for him though, so I just hope he keeps is up.

I was a Ranger Medic. It is basically a bruise that occurs below the surface of the skin between muscle layers.

Your typical bruise is just ruptured blood vessels in the epidermal layer. The discoloration is the blood from the ruptured blood vessel, and as the injury heals the blood dissipates and the blood vessels repair themselves.

Basic stuff. We all know this.

But when it occurs between the muscle layers ( a compartment where there is nowhere for the blood to go) the blood does not dissipate and swells and forms a clot which can be dangerous because the lack of blood flow can cause nerve damage and tissue damage in the injured area that requires surgery to repair and there is the risk of a pulmonary edema or stroke if the clot breaks free and travels to the heart, lungs or brain.

If caught early, the recovery is usually 3-4 weeks, depending on the severity of the damage and if it requires surgery, even longer.

If left untreated or un-diagnosed, you could lose the limb or your life.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a Ranger Medic. It is basically a bruise that occurs below the surface of the skin between muscle layers.

Your typical bruise is just ruptured blood vessels in the epidermal layer. The discoloration is the blood from the ruptured blood vessel, and as the injury heals the blood dissipates and the blood vessels repair themselves.

Basic stuff. We all know this.

But when it occurs between the muscle layers ( a compartment where there is nowhere for the blood to go) the blood does not dissipate and swells and forms a clot which can be dangerous because the lack of blood flow can cause nerve damage and tissue damage in the injured area that requires surgery to repair and there is the risk of a pulmonary edema or stroke if the clot breaks free and travels to the heart, lungs or brain.

If caught early, the recovery is usually 3-4 weeks, depending on the severity of the damage and if it requires surgery, even longer.

If left untreated or un-diagnosed, you could lose the limb or your life.

That's actually a short and sweet description. Makes sense. I'd heard and read some little bits and understood it was an odd, yet very serious injury, that if not treated quickly can become career threatening and that he'd be out for the year.

I had totally forgotten this had happened to Royal until you mentioned it yesterday, and I'm really surprised you don't hear about it even more. Seems like an injury football players would constantly be susceptible to, but it must take just the right kind of hit.

Sucks not having him back there because he was having another really good year. Still give Adams props though as he's filled in pretty well :thumb:

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully somebody else can step up to blow the divisional playoff game this year.

:peace:

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against Denver? It's possible I guess, but he is 6-2* in Mile High.

*Hochuli game included.

He's also 1-3 against the Manning-led Broncos, including two losses in SD.....:whistle:

I admit, the Chargers acclimated to the short week better than the Broncos did in that week 15 loss. Too bad they won't have that kind of advantage this time....

Last edited by a moderator: