• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

R.I.P. LOU REED

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different strokes. He & VU's influence on music is inarguable though.

I agree. I bought & Nico and Transformer in the day...but rarely listened to them (which is cool now, the albums are still almost pristine) because the music just 'wasn't my thing' (although I've always loved 'Walk the Wild Side')...but, even then, everyone knew VU/Reed were cutting edge wondrous something.

Rock has a short memory...there've been many truly incredible bands & albums that came/went - mostly, which sucks, due to lack of commercial radio play. Speaking of which, my all-time favorite band/album is a one-hit wonder produced during the summer of 1968 (Hendrix, Jagger, Gracie Slick, etc hung out in the studio during the recordings) that had a massively major influence on progressive rock (Yes, Uriah Heap, Kansas, Genesis, etc) ever since: TOUCH. The whole album is killer, even today (and obscenely rare)...best cuts, imo, are 'Friendly Birds', 'Miss Teach' and 'Down at Circe's Palace.' I'd youtube link the album, but won't, out of respect for Reed and the OP...but would heartily recommend anyone who loves excellent tunes checking it out.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I bought & Nico and Transformer in the day...but rarely listened to them (which is cool now, the albums are still almost pristine) because the music just 'wasn't my thing' (although I've always loved 'Walk the Wild Side')...but, even then, everyone knew VU/Reed were cutting edge wondrous something.

Rock has a short memory...there've been many truly incredible bands & albums that came/went - mostly, which sucks, due to lack of commercial radio play. Speaking of which, my all-time favorite band/album is a one-hit wonder produced during the summer of 1968 (Hendrix, Jagger, Gracie Slick, etc hung out in the studio during the recordings) that had a massively major influence on progressive rock (Yes, Uriah Heap, Kansas, Genesis, etc) ever since: TOUCH. The whole album is killer, even today (and obscenely rare)...best cuts, imo, are 'Friendly Birds', 'Miss Teach' and 'Down at Circe's Palace.' I'd youtube link the album, but won't, out of respect for Reed and the OP...but would heartily recommend anyone who loves excellent tunes checking it out.

Good Call...I remember that album....the 1st time I heard it was way back in HS in the early 70's and I really dug it....lol
But yeah...maybe we ought to do a prog rock thread soon....lots of good stuff to come out of that genre and era for sure...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of prog rock aside from early Yes, ELP & Floyd if they're considered prog rock. I'll give Touch a listen, though. I have all of VU on vinyl & digital... wore out the vinyl VU & Nico. My son's been playing them on the piano off & on all day... Lisa Says, Sunday Morning, Femme Fatale...nice.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock lost a legend. His music will live forever.

My favorite Lou song.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNMnBhf-Ds&feature=player_detailpage"]The Velvet Underground - Heroin - YouTube[/ame]

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou-Reed.jpg

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00