• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

quick

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya, near impossible to trade, and it doesn't come off if he retires

I think the NHL needs to look into some form of cap hit relief if a player is retiring due to a career ending injury. Seems just a bit unfair that when a guy goes down for good that the team not only has to keep paying the contract(which they definitely should have to) but then they get penalized for what are most times acciedents.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NHL needs to look into some form of cap hit relief if a player is retiring due to a career ending injury. Seems just a bit unfair that when a guy goes down for good that the team not only has to keep paying the contract(which they definitely should have to) but then they get penalized for what are most times acciedents.

ya i agree.. my guess is 1. that there is something.. and 2. if there isn't they're worried about teams saying there is a career ending injury when there isnt

so much sneaking around, if only the world was more honest, it'd be a much better place to live

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
THere is relief, if the player signed was under 35 at the time. The rule is to protect the league against idiotic contracts drawn out to get a nice cap number for an aging player with the thought that as soon as they retire I don't have to worry about it.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ProppRules768433 said:
THere is relief, if the player signed was under 35 at the time. The rule is to protect the league against idiotic contracts drawn out to get a nice cap number for an aging player with the thought that as soon as they retire I don't have to worry about it.

I understand the rule from the standpoint of the league and why it needs to exist, but if a player is clearly injured while playing with no hope of recovering then team should be let off the hook for his cap hit. A player being forced to retire due to injury isn't circumventing the cap in anyway, it's just a very unfortunate side effect of the game.

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
BUt signing a 36 year old to a 7 yr deal to get a more cap friendly number is circumventing it in that case. The team is assuming the risk of the long term in exchange for a favorable cap number.
I see your point though.