• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for Packers Fans

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I'm a longtime, old 49er fan who remembers getting blasted by you guys in the 90s, so much respect for the Packers-49ers playoff rivalry. I know the Packers have studied the read option etc., in the offseason but have there been any other changes to the defense that will make them better able to contain Kaepernick, Gore and stand up against the offensive line of ours? In the last playoff game it didn't look like just a scheme issue, some players looked pretty slow. Not trolling, serious question.

Thanks.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I'm a longtime, old 49er fan who remembers getting blasted by you guys in the 90s, so much respect for the Packers-49ers playoff rivalry. I know the Packers have studied the read option etc., in the offseason but have there been any other changes to the defense that will make them better able to contain Kaepernick, Gore and stand up against the offensive line of ours? In the last playoff game it didn't look like just a scheme issue, some players looked pretty slow. Not trolling, serious question.

Thanks.

I think adding Datone Jones will really help us. Strong, and nice burst off the line. An upgrade over what we had last year. We also will have Nick Perry in there at OLB and not have to see Walden absolutely get fooled over and over. So Perry>Walden plus the addition of Jones and Micah Hyde who has been very good against the run, although will struggle against faster receivers.

In the end I think we will be better defensively, but still don't match up well to beat SF as our OL is bad (not as bad as last year IMO but still bad)

49ers 31
Packers 24

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most obvious change is replacing the biggest hole in our defense from that game (Walden) with our 1st round pick from last year (Perry). Whether that makes enough of a difference or not we'll see. Aside from that we've got a much stronger rotation on our d-line.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also don't think it was a scheme issue. It looked like a total lack of discipline on the Packers part. As it's already been mentioned, Erik Walden's gone, eliminating a huge hole at OLB (to paraphrase Harry Doyle.) That'll make the biggest difference, IMO.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jolly will be in the rotation as well this game which should help as well

Last year Neal was just getting into playing on a regular basis after being suspended and then being slowly brought in.

Last years young guys have one more year of experience such as Daniels. The D line will be much improved and much harder to run on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Joe Staley actually lines up properly this game lol.

With that said, I think it will be a very good game and MUCH closer than our previous matchup.

Pushn40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be an entertaining game, which for a long time during this off season, I was not looking very much forward to watching. Now, however, I'm actually excited to watch the game, and anticipate that it will be very entertaining at the very least. If you're a fan of football, I believe this is a game you should watch.

That being said, I think the field will be slanted just slightly in favor of the "ninas", and predict the score to be 34-24. I'm looking to see not only how well the Packers defend the read option, but also how our O-line and running game look. No injuries please - thank you.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams and his bum shoulder didn't help in the games at all last year and he looks like he's healthy again so hopefully he won't jump out of the way when he sees a niner running at him with the ball. The biggest difference will be our front seven, much better this year and they also have some attitude. Lacy will help our D as well by hopefully opening up the running game and keeping them off the field.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most obvious change is replacing the biggest hole in our defense from that game (Walden) with our 1st round pick from last year (Perry). Whether that makes enough of a difference or not we'll see. Aside from that we've got a much stronger rotation on our d-line.

Agreed... this may be the biggest difference.

In the 3rd preseason game vs Seahawks and Wilson, Packers defense held Wilson and first string Seahawks to 3 points in first half. I do not imagine that type of success vs 49ers, but I imagine defense will play much better than in the playoff loss.

Personnel changes from that game...
- OLB - Perry in / Walden out
- DB - Hyde in / Hayward out (hamstring injury)
- S - Jennings/McMillan in / Woodson out

Defensive line will have Jolly and Jones added to the mix, both should help up front.

Perry over Walden will be a huge upgrade. Hyde is a rookie, but has shown to be great tackler... but I suspect 49ers may try to get him away from line of scrimmage somehow in mismatch... his speed is not a plus.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks.

I think it was a scheme issue brought on by a lack of players available to run an effective defense. We were down quite a few DLinemen and Linebackers by that time of year. We didn't have a good rotation of linemen to use and they wore down. Walden was lost, completely lost the entire game and i'm am so glad he's not here anymore. We had our outside linebackers shooting upfield so far, and nothing filling in behind or collapsing any pocket, so there were huge lanes to run thru.

This year, by losing Walden I think we're better already. Putting Perry in there who is athletic and very strong, you have a guy that can play the edge in both pass and run. Wilson is playing better, Mike Daniels is in his 2nd year and playing better. Raji is in contract year and fresh, so I think he'll perform better. Jolly has surprised the hell out of me, and he makes our run D better without a doubt. Pickett is Pickett and I think we have a good rotation along the line.

So I do think we are better defensively than what you saw last year. SF still has a very good oline though, one of the best in the league I think so it will be a battle all game long. I think SF losing Crabtree will hurt them. They don't have as many deep threats so not everyone will be running down field on defense with their back to the LOS. I think they'll find running a bit more difficult.

Until that muffed punt happened, it was a football game, after that, the wheels kind of fell off for GB. Not trying to take anything way from SF, they're good, great lines on both sides of the ball, really great, but I don't think GB is as far away from them as the game ended up last year might indicate.

It will be a battle and neither team winning will be a surprise.