• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB King of the AFC North

Who will have the better season?

• Total voters

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to see a Steeler fans say that still. In 2018 Ben supposedly had the quickest release of any QB in football as he made an effort to change his ball-patting habits.

But that was certainly an anomaly. His entire career he held the ball WAY too long.
I'm genuinely curious to see what his QB Hits stats say in comparison to the rest of the league. I know his sacks & pressure numbers went way down around 2016-2018. But that doesn't tell the entire story.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right because Big Ben is known for not taking hits and being more elusive than Lamar :rolleyes2:
While I do think Lamar has an increased injury risk because of his number of touches, I do think Big Ben is the most vulnerable to injury because of his age, style, and history.

Anyways, Lamar was so far ahead of the other three last season that even with some basic regression he should still be the QB king of the AFC North. The question really only becomes whether or not he gets more pass attempts and fewer rush attempts as he matures into the role.

I think with Big Ben there is also a bit of a wonder as if he'll be a game manager or a guy who will try to lead the league in pass attempts. One would think it would be the former.

Burrow should be the worst of the 4. Bengals oline was the worst in the NFL last year. A couple of their pieces on offense have been banged up and not sure how much they get out of them. Burrow comes in as a fairly pro ready QB and I think he is slightly better as a QB prospect coming out than Mayfield but I wouldn't bet on it showing up in year 1.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I do think Lamar has an increased injury risk because of his number of touches, I do think Big Ben is the most vulnerable to injury because of his age, style, and history.

Anyways, Lamar was so far ahead of the other three last season that even with some basic regression he should still be the QB king of the AFC North. The question really only becomes whether or not he gets more pass attempts and fewer rush attempts as he matures into the role.

I think with Big Ben there is also a bit of a wonder as if he'll be a game manager or a guy who will try to lead the league in pass attempts. One would think it would be the former.

Burrow should be the worst of the 4. Bengals oline was the worst in the NFL last year. A couple of their pieces on offense have been banged up and not sure how much they get out of them. Burrow comes in as a fairly pro ready QB and I think he is slightly better as a QB prospect coming out than Mayfield but I wouldn't bet on it showing up in year 1.
I'm hoping the Steelers play it smart with Ben and dial back his pass attempts. Get him back to around 30 attempts or fewer. The 40-50 attempts per game was just ridiculous, and no chance his 3 repaired flexor tendons would hold up for 16 games if they continue that trend. Unless they go dink & dunk style where the bulk of his throws are short to intermediate.

I was all aboard the "revamp the O-line" train this past offseason in hopes they would fix the run game, but they really didn't do much there apart from reshuffling which is truly frightening. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. DeCastro is about the only O-line piece that I feel confident in. The rest can be average to above-average, but there was clear regression in the trenches last year. I struggle to have a lot of faith in this offense based on that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stat Check-In

Ben Roethlisberger (3 games) :
109 Att, 67% comp, 777yd (259 Y/G), 7 TDS 1 INT
4yds rushing, 0TD, 0.36 Y/A

Lamar Jackson (4 games) :
98 Att, 68% comp, 769yds (192.3 Y/G), 7TDS 1 INT
235yds rushing, 1TD, 6 Y/A

Baker Mayfield (4 games) :
115 Att, 63% comp, 729 yds (182.3 Y/G), 7TDS 2 INT
15yds rushing, 0TD, 1.7 Y/A

Joe Burrow (4 games) :
177 Att, 65% comp, 1121 yds (280.3 Y/G), 6TDS 2 INT
20yds rushing, 1TD, 3.8 Y/A

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. Follows my thoughts almost exactly. Tape is out on Lamar and Ds will adjust and catch up. My rebuild no names, outside of about 4 extreme mental lapses on D and special teams contained LJ for the most part and that offense surprisingly well. Screens and short crosses were pretty effective on the Ravens D too. Course our DLine is pretty good but much better with Chase in, which we were missing last week. Still Lamar did Lamar things. Mobile QBs strain a D no matter how good. Have to pressure them.

On Ben, I’m not convinced he can stay healthy. But if he does, I could see the argument for sure. He’s lost some but still a very dangerous QB when healthy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Follows my thoughts almost exactly. Tape is out on Lamar and Ds will adjust and catch up. My rebuild no names, outside of about 4 extreme mental lapses on D and special teams contained LJ and that offense Sur Pringle well. Course our DLine is pretty good but much better with Chase in, which we were missing last week. Still Lamar did Lamar things. Mobile QBs strain a D no matter how good. Have to pressure them.

On Ben, I’m not convinced he can stay healthy. But if he does, I could see the argument for sure. He’s lost some but still a very dangerous QB when healthy.
Sur Pringle?

What in the 16th century?

:lol:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sur Pringle?

What in the 16th century?

:lol:
Lmao! Saw that in my re read but ya caught me before I edited it. Hilarious auto correct by my iPad tho!

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stat Check-In

Ben Roethlisberger (3 games) :
109 Att, 67% comp, 777yd (259 Y/G), 7 TDS 1 INT
4yds rushing, 0TD, 0.36 Y/A

Lamar Jackson (4 games) :
98 Att, 68% comp, 769yds (192.3 Y/G), 7TDS 1 INT
235yds rushing, 1TD, 6 Y/A

Baker Mayfield (4 games) :
115 Att, 63% comp, 729 yds (182.3 Y/G), 7TDS 2 INT
15yds rushing, 0TD, 1.7 Y/A

Joe Burrow (4 games) :
177 Att, 65% comp, 1121 yds (280.3 Y/G), 6TDS 2 INT
20yds rushing, 1TD, 3.8 Y/A

Pretty much what I expected. Big Ben the best of the group...throwing wise. Baker needed to improve and he has...would like to get that comp % up a little more though but I can't complain bc he is limited turnovers. Lamar is hit or miss throwing the ball for yards but still has a very nice comp %. Burrow like I said, he could up ending having a better season than Kyler or Baker rookie wise. He has weapons and if Mixon heats up that is only helping him.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd pick Jackson to back up Patrick Mahomes.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much what I expected. Big Ben the best of the group...throwing wise. Baker needed to improve and he has...would like to get that comp % up a little more though but I can't complain bc he is limited turnovers. Lamar is hit or miss throwing the ball for yards but still has a very nice comp %. Burrow like I said, he could up ending having a better season than Kyler or Baker rookie wise. He has weapons and if Mixon heats up that is only helping him.
Agreed. For me its Ben & Burrow as the best in the division throwing wise right now. But I have no doubt that its going to be harder to tell by midseason. Everyone has a lot of positives going for them so the stats should start showing up.

Ben... Showing flashes of his former self. Still a touch errant on his deep throws, as evidence in the HOU game. Probably has more to do with getting in sync with everyone after a year off. Play-calling is still suspect, mainly a symptom of an underqualified OC. O-line is getting better but there are still some inconsistencies that worry me there. Offense hasn't quite found its identity even though its churning out 100yd rushers weekly. It's been a balanced approach so far, which is good because it keeps me from losing sleep over Ben's elbow.

Burrow... I'm honestly very surprised at how well he's been performing. I knew he was talented, just didn't think he'd have the toughness to stand behind that garbage heap O-line. If their O-line improves, or if they can build one for years to come then the Bengals are going to be a tough team. Especially if they quit messin around with Mixon and just feed the guy. Shocked that AJ Green has looked like a complete shell of his former self. But Tee Higgins has stepped right up to the plate. That draft pick doesn't seem as odd anymore.

Baker... The run game is doing wonders for him. And that O-line is the best in the division right now without question. He's getting in rhythm and it shows. Arrow is pointed way up if they can continue to have the same level of offensive success against Indy & Pitt in the coming weeks. Gut-check time for Cleveland!

Jackson... I still have a hard time believing he can sustain his level of play. But here we are a quarter of the way through the season and he keeps proving us wrong. It's shaky ground with how they are winning but they are getting it done. If they can solidify their passing attack then they'll be back on top as the powerhouse of the division. Seems like they rely heavily on the big play, but the completion percentage says otherwise.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too easy...

5c5db8ae39ec1504d2afc8d559d98a6b.gif

200.gif

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least if Baker flops his career he'll still be known as the king of QB commercials lol. He's certainly giving a Peyton Manning a run for his money in that category.

Has to be much quicker covering up the seats though! So slow!

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried getting the jif/gif but to no avail

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. For me its Ben & Burrow as the best in the division throwing wise right now. But I have no doubt that its going to be harder to tell by midseason. Everyone has a lot of positives going for them so the stats should start showing up.

Ben... Showing flashes of his former self. Still a touch errant on his deep throws, as evidence in the HOU game. Probably has more to do with getting in sync with everyone after a year off. Play-calling is still suspect, mainly a symptom of an underqualified OC. O-line is getting better but there are still some inconsistencies that worry me there. Offense hasn't quite found its identity even though its churning out 100yd rushers weekly. It's been a balanced approach so far, which is good because it keeps me from losing sleep over Ben's elbow.

Burrow... I'm honestly very surprised at how well he's been performing. I knew he was talented, just didn't think he'd have the toughness to stand behind that garbage heap O-line. If their O-line improves, or if they can build one for years to come then the Bengals are going to be a tough team. Especially if they quit messin around with Mixon and just feed the guy. Shocked that AJ Green has looked like a complete shell of his former self. But Tee Higgins has stepped right up to the plate. That draft pick doesn't seem as odd anymore.

Baker... The run game is doing wonders for him. And that O-line is the best in the division right now without question. He's getting in rhythm and it shows. Arrow is pointed way up if they can continue to have the same level of offensive success against Indy & Pitt in the coming weeks. Gut-check time for Cleveland!

Jackson... I still have a hard time believing he can sustain his level of play. But here we are a quarter of the way through the season and he keeps proving us wrong. It's shaky ground with how they are winning but they are getting it done. If they can solidify their passing attack then they'll be back on top as the powerhouse of the division. Seems like they rely heavily on the big play, but the completion percentage says otherwise.

Yeah I agree with all that and especially Jackson. If he has a great, long career good for him but still weary. Will probably feel about that with every running QB like himself though. Crazy he is still healthy with all the injuries this year. They rely on the big play and that has to do with his running ability but also bc of that run game and OL play. Makes you wonder how he would do on a team with a different scheme where is maybe forced to run more...could have been devastated with injuries. He found the perfect scheme and system.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm genuinely curious to see what his QB Hits stats say in comparison to the rest of the league. I know his sacks & pressure numbers went way down around 2016-2018. But that doesn't tell the entire story.

No matter who ends up being the King of the AFCN , which Ben ran for many years, division is really stacked. All liekable guys except for Baker, hopefully he matures and limits Hollywood during NFL