• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Puck sensor

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so the Canucks' goal last night is just one in a number of goals where it's really hard to tell where the puck is. You can bitch & moan about the refs all you want, but sometimes there just is no way to know if it's under a pad or player's leg and over the line or not.

Why in the hell does the NHL not have a sensor in the puck that would tell officials the exact moment the puck has crossed the line?

You need referees to make some subjective calls during the game, but why not take some of the mystery out of the equation with this technology? I just don't get it. Relatedly, why does baseball still use umps to call balls & strikes?

Get with the times, people. Fox was using this technology to give us pucks with blazing tails more than a decade ago.

foxtrax8xo.jpg

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched that show about the Ice Truckers, and they have a camera sometimes under the ice showing the trucks driving above.

They need to make the line neon yellow and the puck neon pink. Then put a camera under the ice to determine if the puck crossed or not.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is the entire puck needs to cross the entire line in the NHL. Where do you put the sensor? How would it effect the puck? Pucks can go on edge, roll, spin and twist.

You would need make the entire puck itself a sensor, and a very smart one. It would work in the NFL where the plane simply needs to be breached. Ditto for strikes in baseball. Tennis has the eagle eye but the view is far too obstructed to work in hockey.

Yes, I've been thinking about this for a a while. :)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is the entire puck needs to cross the entire line in the NHL. Where do you put the sensor? How would it effect the puck? Pucks can go on edge, roll, spin and twist.

It shouldn't be too hard to get a sensor that would not only judge where the puck is, but what angle it's on. Wii controllers and iPhones have this technology in them, so it's out there.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the point, one sensor in the puck isn't going to work because a puck flat on the ice is so much wider than a puck on its side parallel to the goal line. So if the puck is on its side, it might be entirely across the line, but the sensor wouldn't register because its not wide enough to be a goal if the puck were flat. You would need to put a ring-like sensor along the top and bottom of the puck and when both cross the line, the red light goes on. Then you get in the issue of cost and mass production, and how it affects the weight of the puck and the aerodynamics. I think they will eventually get to it, but it'll take a few years and probably will only happen after something very controversial has decided a championship, zomething even worse than '99.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't be too hard to get a sensor that would not only judge where the puck is, but what angle it's on. Wii controllers and iPhones have this technology in them, so it's out there.

There's a difference though. You have to judge location and angle relative to another position, in this case the goal line. The idea is great, but honestly if this was actually feasible, the NHL would have done it.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way pucks are, and how many are used per game, I think that putting sensors in pucks is too much money to piss away on something that may work.

The NHL needs a better cam overhead, and remove the mesh to make it something like plexi-glass. A lot of replays from above are distorded from the mesh of the net.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way pucks are, and how many are used per game, I think that putting sensors in pucks is too much money to piss away on something that may work.

The NHL needs a better cam overhead, and remove the mesh to make it something like plexi-glass. A lot of replays from above are distorded from the mesh of the net.

I thought of that as well. The only solution would be to put netting around the entire rink. I don't think that would be very popular.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
There's a difference though. You have to judge location and angle relative to another position, in this case the goal line. The idea is great, but honestly if this was actually feasible, the NHL would have done it.

:confused: you have an awful lot of faith in the efficiency on the NHL / NHLPA / ref's union, etc.

I do agree with the challenges - have the sensor at the middle of the puck, and the plane at a radius' distance behind the back of the goal line. that will work for a flat puck, with others you might need to have the back-up video review system that is in place now. It's not perfect, but is an improvement over the current system.