• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospects thread

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as you may know, the Redwings are a rather old team so talking about prospects feels a little awkward. However, we do have a solid prospect coming up through our farm system. We have a good feeling he'll make an impact on our team. Meet: Mike Modano!

modano_min_tall.jpg

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure the Wild's cupboard is bare (not that it was ever filled, or ever had anything in it in the first place). Right now I wouldn't even care if they brought Risebrough back

That's ok by me, I'm a Ducks fan now anyways as I did go to their prospects scrimmage a month ago...

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as you may know, the Redwings are a rather old team so talking about prospects feels a little awkward. However, we do have a solid prospect coming up through our farm system. We have a good feeling he'll make an impact on our team. Meet: Mike Modano!

modano_min_tall.jpg

Actually the Red Wings have a few guys to keep an eye on.

1.Brendan Smith D 6-2 190 27th overall in 2007
2.Tomas Tatar LW 5-10 179 60th overall in 2009
3.Jackub Kindl D 6-3 210 19th overall in 2005

The problem with the Red Wings is when or if these guys will get a chance with the organization. They could also be used as trade bait at the deadline.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

modano_min_tall.jpg

Modano doens't look that much older now than he did then. He could pass for 25 easily.

GagneFire12

Miley Cyrus, say what?
In a flat with tinted sunlight and creaky floorboa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure the Wild's cupboard is bare (not that it was ever filled, or ever had anything in it in the first place). Right now I wouldn't even care if they brought Risebrough back

That's ok by me, I'm a Ducks fan now anyways as I did go to their prospects scrimmage a month ago...

Uh oh...

You have been converted.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh...

You have been converted.

When the prospect pool is basically Marco Scandella D, Matt Hackett & Mikael Granlund C I don't blame them.

The average draft slot for the Wild since 2006 is 8th overall. Their prospect pool rank is 29th overall. To say they need improvement is a major understatement.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
When the prospect pool is basically Marco Scandella D, Matt Hackett & Mikael Granlund C I don't blame them.

The average draft slot for the Wild since 2006 is 8th overall. Their prospect pool rank is 29th overall. To say they need improvement is a major understatement.

I just don't know what kind of team the Wild are going to be this year, or what kind of team they are trying to be anymore.
In the past years, they were at least tough to play against, with clutterbuck hitting everything that moves, and those two monsters (Boogaard and Scott) occasionally doing major damage. Now those two are gone, so clutterbuck is on his own. It's going to be a very unpleasant year for him if he is on his own.
and their offense.... what ... Koivu and Havlat? it kind of stops after that (Brunette and Latendresse are at a lesser level - decent finishers, but not really creators of offense like the other two, if that makes sense.)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO if Couture reaches his potential he'll be a 70-80 point per year player. That's still a couple years down the road though.

I'd say your right I_am. Logan reaching 70-80 points should be his potential. I think I got caught putting in what I believe him to be in the future instead of his actual ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't know what kind of team the Wild are going to be this year, or what kind of team they are trying to be anymore.
In the past years, they were at least tough to play against, with clutterbuck hitting everything that moves, and those two monsters (Boogaard and Scott) occasionally doing major damage. Now those two are gone, so clutterbuck is on his own. It's going to be a very unpleasant year for him if he is on his own.
and their offense.... what ... Koivu and Havlat? it kind of stops after that (Brunette and Latendresse are at a lesser level - decent finishers, but not really creators of offense like the other two, if that makes sense.)

Latendresse played great after being acquired from Montreal. The Wild have had some bad drafts in recent years. James Sheppard had a tough year last season. Nick Leddy who was taken 16th overall in 2009 was traded to Chicago in the Cam Barker trade. The cupboard is bare right now in Minny. Fletcher has a lot of work to do.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ottawa's best prospect is Karlsson, but he showed the hockey world what he's worth down the stretch; he WILL be one of the top 5 offensive d-men in the league for the next 15 years.

As for prospects yet to play with the big team, there are a few.

Jared Cowen(Defense) was 6'5 and 220 lbs at the time of his draft; he has Chara-like instincts. He is big and has some skill; he needs Chara-like work ethic to become a truly elite NHL defenseman, but the talent is there for him to be a good to great stay at home d-Man.

Patrick Wiercioch(Defense): 6'3 and 190 as of last year. A big frame and great puck skills. Tore it up in the NCAA when healthy. Has the skill and size to be a top 4 and may a top 2 guy for years.

Kaspar Daugavins (RW): This is a personal pick. Watching this guy play for Latvia at the Olympics was a revelation. I REALLY hope that the Sens management team can get this guy to play like that all the time. He's a stocky guy who is about 6'0 ft, 205 lbs. He's got good wheels and true explosiveness. This kid plays with heart; he played OHL and, surprisingly as an import from Latvia, dropped the gloves often to defend his teammates. Here's hoping he can crack the squad in 2010.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These two most hockey fans know:
Carlson
Varlamov (I don't know if he is still concidered a prospect, but he hasn't had a full season under his belt, so....)

Then there are a few others:

Karl Alzner, D : Drafted in 1st round (5th overall) in 2007. 6-2, 205 lbs, 22 years old Canada; More of a defensive defenceman than Carlson. He has the mobility and can move the puck decent. Should be paired with Carlson when the season starts playing on the 2nd pairing together

Michal Neuvirth, G : Drafted in 2nd round (34th overall) in 2006. 6-1, 199lbs, 22 years old Czech Republic; A Czech butterfly goalie who is very technical and has a very classical, textbook style of positioning. He is very poised on the ice and very good composure. Neuvirth is expected to back up Varlamov this year with the Caps in Washington.

Mathieu Perreault, C : Drafted in 6th round (116th overall) in 2006. 5-10 175lbs, 22 years old, Canada; Perreault is a fast little fucker. He is a playmaker with great vision (I know shocking!) and has a quick little shot. His best attribute is that he gives effort non stop. No matter the score or time left on the clock, he'll go hard from the opening faceoff till the final horn. Perreault is going to be battling in camp with Johansson and maybe Cody Eakin for the 2nd line center spot.

Marcus Johansson, LW/C : Drafted 1st round (24th overall) in 2009. 5-11, 198lbs, 19 years old, Sweden; Johansson is a skilled, speedy playmaker who, although not a physical player, won't shy away from contact. Has a shot that, like many playmakers, he should use more often. Solid

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ottawa's best prospect is Karlsson, but he showed the hockey world what he's worth down the stretch; he WILL be one of the top 5 offensive d-men in the league for the next 15 years.

As for prospects yet to play with the big team, there are a few.

Jared Cowen(Defense) was 6'5 and 220 lbs at the time of his draft; he has Chara-like instincts. He is big and has some skill; he needs Chara-like work ethic to become a truly elite NHL defenseman, but the talent is there for him to be a good to great stay at home d-Man.

Patrick Wiercioch(Defense): 6'3 and 190 as of last year. A big frame and great puck skills. Tore it up in the NCAA when healthy. Has the skill and size to be a top 4 and may a top 2 guy for years.

Kaspar Daugavins (RW): This is a personal pick. Watching this guy play for Latvia at the Olympics was a revelation. I REALLY hope that the Sens management team can get this guy to play like that all the time. He's a stocky guy who is about 6'0 ft, 205 lbs. He's got good wheels and true explosiveness. This kid plays with heart; he played OHL and, surprisingly as an import from Latvia, dropped the gloves often to defend his teammates. Here's hoping he can crack the squad in 2010.

Ottawa also has last season's QMJHL MVP Mike Hoffman in their system. He was a late round pick drafted in his 2nd year of eligibility so he might not be the most talked about prospect but he has the potential to be a steal. He has a great shot (both wrist and slap) and has knack for scoring from just about everywhere. He probably needs a year or 2 with Banghampton before he's ready to make the ump to the NHL.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Beach: This guy is the next Happy Gilmore. He isnt a very good skater, he has a nice shot, and he seems like the kind of guy who would try to stab someone with his skate.