• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

pronger contract

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the flip side of all this? Teams that have to make the cap floor but don't want to spend money paying guys 2.5M a year but have a cap hit of 4M due to a backloaded contract then trading him when he's due the bigger bucks? And with that, I submit that Andrej Meszaros' and Matt Walker's contracts should be investigated as well. Half their cap hits go back to TB as punishment. Flyers would also receive a 2nd round pick for pain and suffering, which Holmgren would trade within 5 minutes of receiving.

/per Eklund. e3

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think it is that uncommon to front load the contracts across the league, regardless of the player. THe issue is seeign the numbers drop so significantly at the end when they probably won't be playing.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the flip side of all this? Teams that have to make the cap floor but don't want to spend money paying guys 2.5M a year but have a cap hit of 4M due to a backloaded contract then trading him when he's due the bigger bucks? And with that, I submit that Andrej Meszaros' and Matt Walker's contracts should be investigated as well. Half their cap hits go back to TB as punishment. Flyers would also receive a 2nd round pick for pain and suffering, which Holmgren would trade within 5 minutes of receiving.

/per Eklund. e3

there's just no way that would happen..

homer would have to have a deal in place for that 2nd round pick BEFORE agreeing to that :)

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i guess in the end the front loaded contract is simply a tool g.m.'s use to entice the player to sign with your team. because the player ends up getting paid up front. long term security with the cash up front is hard to turn down, regardless of the team. it makes rich teams hard to walk away from. while the small market team has to go small to medium length contracts with plenty of loop holes to bail out in case the player gets injured or is a bust. on the flip side though the small market team gets most of the high draft picks because they routinely suck. so they have all the talent. seems fair to me. what do they want to do? take every advantage away from the solid franchises? it's not like new york, philly, toronto and boston have been racking up stanley cups from these kind of loop holes. bettman is way in the pocket of the small franchises. how is that a model for league survival?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess in the end the front loaded contract is simply a tool g.m.'s use to entice the player to sign with your team. because the player ends up getting paid up front. long term security with the cash up front is hard to turn down, regardless of the team. it makes rich teams hard to walk away from. while the small market team has to go small to medium length contracts with plenty of loop holes to bail out in case the player gets injured or is a bust. on the flip side though the small market team gets most of the high draft picks because they routinely suck. so they have all the talent. seems fair to me. what do they want to do? take every advantage away from the solid franchises? it's not like new york, philly, toronto and boston have been racking up stanley cups from these kind of loop holes. bettman is way in the pocket of the small franchises. how is that a model for league survival?

i bolded out the parts i agree w/