• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Projected Washington Capitals lines for 2010-2011

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the sting has worn off and the scabs have started to form, let'e get realistic and take a look shall we.

1. Mike Green will not be traded. he has a reasonable contract for 3 more seasons and the team may hide him a bit more, but they will continue to try and let him develop.

2. Alex Semin is not getting traded. The market is not that high for him and he has one year left until UFA status. He may be part of a deadline deal to the west, but he will be on the opening roster.

Projected forward lines:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - UFA - Semin
Fehr - Belanger - Chimera
Bradley - Steckel - Gordon

DEPTH: Della Rovere, Perrault, Beagle, Eakin, a Scott Walker clone

I think that the Caps and Belanger want to make a deal and will. The rate will be similar to his current salary. Flash will be let go, and Fehr will be signed. The second line center spot may go to one of the other Swedes in the system (Johansson or Gustavsson) or potentially Mattheiu Perrault, but my bet would be that some money will be spent here in the offseason. The Caps have cap space.

Defensemen:

Schultz - Green
Carlson - JACKMAN
Jurcina - Alzner

DEPTH: Erskine, Sloane, Collins

I think that Tom Poti is a draft day casualty that we move, and I think that a big mean defenseman is the other place where money will be spent. It may be someone like Andy Sutton, but it may be a bigger catch like Corey Sarich or Willie Mitchell. The golden ring pickup would be Barret Jackman, whose name comes up in Caps rumors all the time. He would be a perfect fit, and I think that Ted L and GMGM are sick of waiting and will make it happen

Goaltender:

Varlamov
Turco

DEPTH: Neuvirth

I can not see the Caps going into the season without a veteran netminder, but they will not overpay to get him. Theodore wants to stay but he would have to take a severe pay cut. I think that Turco is the fit here.

Just my
2cents.jpg

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I'm McPhee I try to move Semin for a good 2nd line center. Jizz is a fantasy hockey player.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably could get Spezza to center your second line. And if you hit Murray before last call, you could probably have him for Chimera.

I'm only half kidding.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably could get Spezza to center your second line. And if you hit Murray before last call, you could probably have him for Chimera.

I'm only half kidding.

I would rather have Chimera. We already have anough PED allegations in Washington (side note: AO did pass his drug test for the world championships). The Caps need to realize that they are not that far away. There is cap space. There is depth to trade at certain spots. Just work within that.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A lot of FA on their roster after this season that will be in line for a raise. I doubt they are going to sign any long term high end free agents. I could be wrong and am frequently.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Caps have a lot of questions going into this offseason with a lot of UFA's. It would be interesting to see how much they can get Backstrom signed for. I am guessing around $8 mill per year. With roughly &20 mill left to sign 10 players for their 23 man roster, GMGM will be in tough this year and next.

Think they will resign Corvo? LOL

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be someone like Andy Sutton, but it may be a bigger catch like Corey Sarich or Willie Mitchell. The golden ring pickup would be Barret Jackman, whose name comes up in Caps rumors all the time. He would be a perfect fit, and I think that Ted L and GMGM are sick of waiting and will make it happen

Just my
2cents.jpg

I wouldnt be surprised if Willie Mitchell announces his retirement at season end

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you didn't say anything in your note, but I am assuming that you think Sho Mo is gone, right?

Yeah, I think he may price himslef out of Washington. I would be more willing to sign him as a shut down guy if he did not have injur problems and had a bit more of a nast streak. I like him, just think that he will be overpriced for us.

Squatchito

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with most of what I see there, my few contentions:

1. UFA second line center: After the B-Mo experiment, I am not sure they would necessarily want to try this again. Not that I think he did a particularly bad job of it, but I think there is a distinct possibility that Belanger would put up better numbers playing with Alex Semin all year. Semin has never struck me as the kind of player who needs an amazing set up man, he creates a lot of his own chances and it isn't as if this team stuggles to score(Games 5, 6 and 7 aside). The Caps depth at center is pretty crazy, not that I think the guys who are natural centers playing the wing would be switching back. I think Mattheiu Perrault is ready to make the jump. He is undersized certainly, but never ceased to impress me in his performances. I would like to see them experiment with Belanger and see what happens. It isn't as if the Caps are going to struggle to make the playoffs, if is doesn't work out make a move at the dead line.

2. Where to spend what money they have: No one disagrees on Backs being priority one. I am sure when negotiations started they were in the 65-70 million/10 year range. After the year he had, if he signs for less than 80/10 I will be shocked. Whatever money is left over at that point should go towards a shutdown guy. I love Barret Jackman. Everyone loves Anton Volchenkov. Personally I am a huge fan of Zbynek Michalek especially if he could be gotten for less than the aforementioned 2.

3. Goalies: A veteran goalie is a good thing to have about, but if it means sacrificing the shutdown d-man I wouldn't hesitate to make it spending cut #1. Varly is far from a veteran, but I think he is ready to be the guy. Neuvy has proven himself a more than capable back-up. If Jose is willing to take a major pay cut, he would be my top choice. But, considering the season he had overall I am sure he feels, and wants, to be a starter and will expect to be paid as such.

Trades: Mike Green . . . I have been pretty clear in my feelings regarding Mike Green long before the playoffs. I love the guy, I really do. I will not dispute his improvement this year either. However, three years of being a no show and even a liability(not talking the series clinching goal either, that is more on John Carlson than Mike Green) in the playoffs is wearing his welcome. He will not be moved unless the Caps get some ridiculous value for him. I don't see that happening. As for Alex Semin, I don't see it happening.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part I agree with you. Green is too valuable and won't be traded, atleast for right now. Semin might be traded in the offseason, but I think we could get much more for him at the deadline. Agree with the fact that BMo and Flash will be gone while Nicki B and Fehr will be resigned. Would LOVE it if we got Jackman and he would be a perfect fit. Not too sure about poti being the odd D-man out because he was probibly the best or 2nd best puck mover and overall D-man on the ice durring the playoffs. In fact, I would be quite dissapointed if Poti were shipped unless it were in a package deal for a defensive defenceman. It'll be interesting to see who we get to fill in that second line center.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trades: Mike Green . . . I have been pretty clear in my feelings regarding Mike Green long before the playoffs. I love the guy, I really do. I will not dispute his improvement this year either. However, three years of being a no show and even a liability(not talking the series clinching goal either, that is more on John Carlson than Mike Green) in the playoffs is wearing his welcome. He will not be moved unless the Caps get some ridiculous value for him. I don't see that happening. As for Alex Semin, I don't see it happening.

Green had a great playoff 2 years ago in the Flyers series. Trading him would be premature to trade him and we wouldn't be able to get fair value for him.

Squatchito

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For the most part I agree with you. Green is too valuable and won't be traded, atleast for right now. Semin might be traded in the offseason, but I think we could get much more for him at the deadline. Agree with the fact that BMo and Flash will be gone while Nicki B and Fehr will be resigned. Would LOVE it if we got Jackman and he would be a perfect fit. Not too sure about poti being the odd D-man out because he was probibly the best or 2nd best puck mover and overall D-man on the ice durring the playoffs. In fact, I would be quite dissapointed if Poti were shipped unless it were in a package deal for a defensive defenceman. It'll be interesting to see who we get to fill in that second line center.

Forgot to comment on the Poti thing. I too would hate to see the man go. He has been a rock for the Caps. Blowing people away? No, but there a lot to be said of being a steady presence for many years. And, despite what I said about the goalie situation, I do like Poti's veteran presence immensely.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't really read this thread, but I just have one point I would like to make:

Turnover on competitive hockey teams is a good thing. It keeps things fresh and progressive and helps to keep motivation high. In my opinion, at least half of the replacable players on a roster should be replaced every season by a combination of young guys from the minors and veteran players.

I was upset with the Penguins' offseason last offseason because I thought they signed back too many replacable players, specifically Fedotenko and Guerin, among others, but I cannot remember who. I think that's why the Penguins were flat for much of the season. I would fear the same fate for the Capitals next season if replacable players weren't replaced this offseason.

Now, I don't know that I would trade guys like Semin and Green in the offseason because I feel that their stocks are too low right now and it would be difficult to get fair market value in return, and Backstrom should be resigned as he isn't a replacable player, but if I were a Capitals fan, I would want to see a lot of turnover on the second, third, and fourth lines.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have some comments on this thread, but just one to start which goes against the grain of what several people have said.

I'm not advocating for or against trading either Mike Green or Alex Semin, but saying they don't have a ton of trade value is an INSANE statement.

As to Green, any team looking to improve their power play (and there are a TON here) would love to have this guy. A team that already has a key blue liner would love to use this guy on their 2nd defensive line or pair him with their best defender and use him on the power play. For all his shortcomings, he moves the puck very well, he clears the zone, and he can bring the puck into the offensive zone with ease. He's got a good shot and solid vision on the ice. He led all defenders in pretty much every category and he can deliver a hit as well.

Alex Semin is a 40-goal scorer - there were only SEVEN of those this season. His numbers were nearly identical to Ilya Kovalchuk and Semin is already signed at the very reasonable rate of $6 million for next year. There were plenty of guys in the NHL who got paid that kind of coin this year and weren't even threatening to score 30. He finished 7th in points per game near guys like Malkin and Gaborik who make substantially more than he does. He's a dangerous power play addition for any team, has one of the nastiest (if on THE nastiest) wristers in the NHL, and can deliver goals through his own individual talents.

Plenty of teams are fighting in the middle of the pack to make the playoffs and would love to add either of these guys. They are young, their cap hits are resonable for what they bring to the table, and they will sell tickets. Plenty of teams will look at them and see some playoff shortcomings, but are either in a position to not worry about that yet or figure they can coach them differently.

I can see both sides on the argument of whether or not to trade one of these guys, but saying they have low trade value is completely wrong. Both are VERY tradeable assets with reasonable cap hits, youth on their side, and a lot of proven results in delivering abilities that plenty of teams need.

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I haven't really read this thread, but I just have one point I would like to make:

Turnover on competitive hockey teams is a good thing. It keeps things fresh and progressive and helps to keep motivation high. In my opinion, at least half of the replacable players on a roster should be replaced every season by a combination of young guys from the minors and veteran players.

I was upset with the Penguins' offseason last offseason because I thought they signed back too many replacable players, specifically Fedotenko and Guerin, among others, but I cannot remember who. I think that's why the Penguins were flat for much of the season. I would fear the same fate for the Capitals next season if replacable players weren't replaced this offseason.

Now, I don't know that I would trade guys like Semin and Green in the offseason because I feel that their stocks are too low right now and it would be difficult to get fair market value in return, and Backstrom should be resigned as he isn't a replacable player, but if I were a Capitals fan, I would want to see a lot of turnover on the second, third, and fourth lines.

I'm with you.. I really hope the Caps have a considerable amount of turnover. That said, if they had won the cup last season, ala the Pens, maybe I'm thinking retain as many as you can.. They were, afterall, part of a Cup winning team.

I'm scared to think of this team coming back next season without addressing the problems that have led to them being early exits the last 2 seasons.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a general note, many of you Caps' fans seem to be down on Brendan Morrison. I thought he had a really good season this year and prefer him to Belanger. Personally, I'd rather they resign BMo than Belanger who doesn't really add anything to the offense. I think they both do a lot of good things on the forecheck and defensively, but I think BMo adds so much more to the offense. He worked really well with Chimera and Fehr at times this year. Whereas when Belanger was on the ice I said during many games "Oh good, Belanger is on the ice. We won't be scoring this shift." I felt like the team didn't play as well the last 15 games or so as most of the rest of the year and perhaps not coincidentally, that was when Belanger was with the team.

That said, the coaches and GM seem to really like him.

Here's the list of UFAs I would not resign - Corvo (we simply don't need more offensive defenseman) and Shaone Morrison (just isn't very good IMO), Scott Walker (not worth the price tag and I think our 4th line is really good), and either BMo or Belanger, not both. As to the RFAs, I think the focus is on Backstrom (obviously), Schultz, and Fehr. Flash might command to much money and he certainly has been lackluster in the playoffs this year and last.