• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pro bowlers - 9 49ers selected

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers.com | Nine 49ers Named to 2013 Pro Bowl

San Francisco 49ers inside linebacker NaVorro Bowman, free safety Dashon Goldson, running back Frank Gore, guard Mike Iupati, outside linebacker Aldon Smith, defensive tackle Justin Smith, tackle Joe Staley, strong safety Donte Whitner and inside linebacker Patrick Willis have been selected to participate in the 2013 Pro Bowl. Goldson, Iupati, A. Smith, J. Smith, Staley, Whitner and Willis were named starters on this year’s NFC squad.

The following players were selected as alternates for the NFC Pro Bowl squad: guard Alex Boone, outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks, tackle Anthony Davis, tight end Vernon Davis, center Jonathan Goodwin, punter Andy Lee, cornerback Carlos Rogers and special teamer C.J. Spillman.

Last edited by a moderator:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pretty amazing on our O line
Joe Staley and Iupati starters
Boone, Goodwin, and Davis as alternates.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good for Frank, Pro Bowl #5. Getting into some good territory there as far as all-time.....Roger Craig only had 4 and he's kind of a fringe HOF candidate......though I suppose the Super Bowls give him a huge advantage, so maybe it doesn't mean all that much.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jones (Packers), Jones (Falcons), Jackson, Johnson, Bryant, Marshal all had better seasons than Crabs. However, I was hoping that there would be a slight chance he would have made it. sigh. Perhaps next year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Frank, Pro Bowl #5. Getting into some good territory there as far as all-time.....Roger Craig only had 4 and he's kind of a fringe HOF candidate......though I suppose the Super Bowls give him a huge advantage, so maybe it doesn't mean all that much.

I think Frank Gore will always be regarded as a guy in the "Hall of Very Good." Of course that could change if he wins a championship or two.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Frank Gore will always be regarded as a guy in the "Hall of Very Good." Of course that could change if he wins a championship or two.

Totally......he'd probably have to keep it up for 2 or 3 more years to even get much consideration, if they won an SB in there it would help. 33rd all time rushing yards, 50th in rushing TDs.

Weird, wikipedia gives him 5 pro bowls and profootballreference gives him 4.....upon further review - wikipedia is wrong.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFC thoughts

Bruce Miller not even an alternate is stupid. Jerome Felton I can live with as the starter, though, everything I can gather suggests that it should be Miller.

I was hoping Tony Gonzalez's terrible run blocking would knock him out, though I highly doubt those that voted know just how awful he's been this year.

Russell Okung as a starter? Ha.

Chris Snee over Evan Mathis, Alex Boone, Josh Sitton, Ben Grubbs AND Nate Livings is questionable to me.

Ok, the funniest one on the NFC's offensive side is Jeff Saturday? Really? Somebody explain that one to me, please. John Sullivan got robbed in this fan's eyes.

Peppers, in my opinion, only made it because of the high sack number and his history. Jared Allen should be no better than an alternate, too.

Wow. No major complaint on the NFC interior D-linemen.

My list wouldn't have included DeMarcus Ware this year.

I would have put Antoine Winfield or Casey Heyward over Tim Jennings and Patrick Peterson. (Richard Sherman is ineligible).

BIGGEST joke on the defense side by FAR is Earl Thomas. Wow! Somebody explain that one to me. (Whitner, though undervalued by some 49ers fans, shouldn't have been named either).

Lorenzo Alexander didn't even make alot of SCOUT'S Top 25 rankings in the NFC this year, though I wouldn't harp on that one because everybody looks for something different in that position.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco - 9

Houston - 8
New England - 7
Baltimore - 6
Chicago - 5
Denver - 5
Kansas City - 5
Seattle - 5
Minnesota - 4
Atlanta - 3
Green Bay - 3
New York (N) - 3
Washington - 3
Cincinnati - 2
Cleveland - 2
Dallas - 2
Indianapolis - 2
New Orleans - 2
New York (A) - 2
Pittsburgh - 2
Arizona - 1
Detroit - 1
Miami - 1
Tampa Bay - 1
Buffalo - 0
Carolina - 0
Jacksonville - 0
Oakland - 0
Philadelphia - 0
San Diego - 0
St. Louis
Tennessee - 0

Last edited by a moderator:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFC thoughts

BIGGEST joke on the defense side by FAR is Earl Thomas. Wow! Somebody explain that one to me. (Whitner, though undervalued by some 49ers fans, shouldn't have been named either).

Earl Thomas isn't playing good?? Guess I haven't paid attention or followed him much this year but thought it was mostly positive news about him.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Earl Thomas isn't playing good?? Guess I haven't paid attention or followed him much this year but thought it was mostly positive news about him.

Of every safety who has played 50% of his team's defensive snaps, he has the worst tackle against the run efficiency rating in the NFL. He's 5th worst in the same tackling category against the pass. If you combine those two numbers, he's the worst.

He's in the upper half of the league for most targeted, upper half (worst) for most attempts against as the primary man in coverage, upper half (worst) for most successful attempts against as the primary man in coverage, and upper half (worst) for most receptions primarily responsible for while in coverage.

Common fan numbers your thing? As far as JUST safeties go. He's not in the top 40 for tackles, he's tied for 3rd worst for missed tackles, is only 25th in the entire NFL for stopping a player when he has reasonable opportunity to do so (including sack plays), isn't in the top 60 in catch percentage, isn't in the top 60 in yards into his coverage area allowed (51 yards more to qualifying for 60th), is outside the top 10 in INTs, and is tied for 62nd in passes defensed.

I don't get it, but that's just me.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

San Francisco 49ers inside linebacker NaVorro Bowman, free safety Dashon Goldson, running back Frank Gore, guard Mike Iupati, outside linebacker Aldon Smith, defensive tackle Justin Smith, tackle Joe Staley, strong safety Donte Whitner and inside linebacker Patrick Willis have been selected to participate in the 2013 Pro Bowl. Goldson, Iupati, A. Smith, J. Smith, Staley, Whitner and Willis were named starters on this year’s NFC squad.

The following players were selected as alternates for the NFC Pro Bowl squad: guard Alex Boone, outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks, tackle Anthony Davis, tight end Vernon Davis, center Jonathan Goodwin, punter Andy Lee, cornerback Carlos Rogers and special teamer C.J. Spillman.

A.Davis this year as an alternate - next year as a starter

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Excellent recognition for the team!! And in All 3 Areas!! Go 49ers!!:playball:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of shocked akers didn't make it after the season he had last year.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Pro Bowl's jokes

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/26/the-pro-bowls-jokes/

5. Where’s the Mathis?

People seem to think that because we applaud the play of Mathis that we’re overstating how good he has been. To those people I say just put on the tape and watch how he plays. There’s a reason why he is dominating our grading system for guards.

Seriously, I get the Jahri Evans pick but Chris Snee? Where the heck did that come from? He’s not had a bad year, but it’s a crime that Mathis won’t ever get the respect he deserves because he plays for a poor Philadelphia team and doesn’t have a reputation. If you still think we’re overdoing it, let’s talk about another player like our third-ranked guard this year, Alex Boone. He’s a huge reason that line went from good to great so quickly.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Pro Bowl's jokes

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/26/the-pro-bowls-jokes/

5. Where’s the Mathis?

People seem to think that because we applaud the play of Mathis that we’re overstating how good he has been. To those people I say just put on the tape and watch how he plays. There’s a reason why he is dominating our grading system for guards.

Seriously, I get the Jahri Evans pick but Chris Snee? Where the heck did that come from? He’s not had a bad year, but it’s a crime that Mathis won’t ever get the respect he deserves because he plays for a poor Philadelphia team and doesn’t have a reputation. If you still think we’re overdoing it, let’s talk about another player like our third-ranked guard this year, Alex Boone. He’s a huge reason that line went from good to great so quickly.

He threw him out there like me, only did a better job of doing so.

2. When Saturday Comes

You know who Jeff Saturday is. A legend. He seems like a nice guy and he’s handled himself really well throughout his career.

You know what he shouldn’t be at this stage in his career? A Pro-Bowler. The Packers thought as much since they benched him because he gets next to nothing going in the run game. He still gets the job done on his heels in pass protection, but in a stacked NFC, he had no right being the choice. I mean John Sullivan is the best center in football but won’t be at the Pro Bowl. Will Montgomery has developed into a top tier player and won’t be going to the Pro Bowl. Both Brian De La Puente and Jonathan Goodwin open up running lanes for their backs and won’t be going to the Pro Bowl.

There should be a common sense veto somewhere so that stuff like this doesn’t happen.