• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Practice Squad

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per his wiki page, Welker never spent any time on a PS.

Per his wiki page, Cruz also never spent any time on a PS.

I just don't think you are going to find an instance where a guy is brought up from the PS halfway through the season to become a good player. Instead, he may spend all season on the PS, and then do well enough the following season in TC to make the 53 man roster and contribute from there.

Arian foster and James harrison were ps guys. Not sure they contributed in year where they were on it though.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious why there's been so much talk and hope about PS players all of a sudden. Have there been a good number of former PS players who have gone on to become productive NFL players all of a sudden...not just for the Lions but for other teams?

What gives? :noidea:

And I'm not against people talking about it. I just don't understand the fascination by it. Is it merely a product of the NFL and social media?

There's not a ton of good players that come from the practice squad, but it does happen now and then. Joique Bell jumps to mind for me- we signed him off New Orleans' practice squad. I believe we signed Ashlee Palmer off Buffalo's- he's not great, but certainly a useful piece.

Basically it's just one more avenue to try to develop some young guys and see if any of them become good enough to make the active roster.

I think all the increased recent talk about the practice squad, if that's what you're getting at, is because they just raised the limit on players from 8 to 10...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think you are going to find an instance where a guy is brought up from the PS halfway through the season to become a good player. Instead, he may spend all season on the PS, and then do well enough the following season in TC to make the 53 man roster and contribute from there.
Probably not, but atleast having them on the PS all year, they can continue to practice with the starters and backups, which gives them a bit of a leg up next year in training camp.

I don't think it's a horrible idea. Seems harmless to me. Can ony help the team.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other asset of having guys on the practice squad is for the scout team. These guys can get the shit kicked out of them by the roster players in practice and it doesn't hurt the team on Sundays of you lose a p-squad player to injury...

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't Ross a GB PS guy?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't Ross a GB PS guy?

Yes. He was on the Colts PS before that but was cut. GB were the first to promote him from there. But he fumbled a couple of punts and got released early last year. He's been solid for us ever since.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other asset of having guys on the practice squad is for the scout team. These guys can get the shit kicked out of them by the roster players in practice and it doesn't hurt the team on Sundays of you lose a p-squad player to injury...

#professionaltacklingdummies

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all the increased recent talk about the practice squad, if that's what you're getting at, is because they just raised the limit on players from 8 to 10...

Lies. Lol. Truth is with or without the increase we talk ps every year. Everything Lions comes up here. And usually gets many pages.

I doubt there is a website out there that houses more Lions news and info than here. And before that Cbs. Pretty much where ever this crowd goes.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lies. Lol. Truth is with or without the increase we talk ps every year. Everything Lions comes up here. And usually gets many pages.

I doubt there is a website out there that houses more Lions news and info than here. And before that Cbs. Pretty much where ever this crowd goes.

Which is why I check here first for any Lions news.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trust those links we post and talk about. Those websites are not in the know.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We held a 3 page debate on whether Roary blew out Jammal Charles' ACL or not?

This thread gets at least 4 pages barring any sightings of squirrels.

He did, and we watched it live.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He totally did. That yard marker fell and Roary deftly kicked it right where Charles was about to step.

TrustMe, I was there and saw it with my own two eyes from 75 yards away and 22 rows up!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is questioning my boy Roary's street cred?

Let me at him. I'll fight him with 1 paw tied behind my back. I'll fight him standing on 1 foot...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We held a 3 page debate on whether Roary blew out Jammal Charles' ACL or not?

This thread gets at least 4 pages barring any sightings of squirrels.

My bad I low balled my number. Seems it shall be 5 pages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is questioning my boy Roary's street cred?
We've let tall tales get in the way of the truth. Video evidence suggests otherwise.