• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potential Cap Casualties (Intriguing Free Agents To Be)

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which of these potential cap casualties are you most interested in?

1) Mario Williams (DE - Bills)
- Early reports indicate that Mario Williams will likely be a cap casualty. He is 31 and had 5 sacks after 14.5 and 13 sacks in his previous two. I feel like our defense will always be in position to sign an aging vet looking for a chance to win a ring. Maybe he only produces 5-6 sacks or maybe he's still capable of double digit sacks. Either way I'd love to have him rush the passer along with Bennett and Avril.

2) Max Unger (C - Saints)
- We'd all love to get Unger back. It'd basically mean we got Jimmy Graham just for the draft pick. Even if he is no longer his all pro cailber self in 2012 last year he was still good particularly at pass blocking. He's also a great personality in the locker room. Let's see if the Saints actually cut him though.

3) Julius Peppers (DE - Packers)
- Packers have a lot of younger free agents so Peppers while still productive could be a cap casualty. He's 36 but has yet to show signs of slowing down. 10.5 sacks in 2015 and 7 sacks each in his previous 2 seasons.

4) D Brickashaw Ferguson (OT - Jets)
- He's been a very reliable tackle his entire career. 2015 he had a huge dip in performance and was highly penalized and gave up more QB hurries than his usual years. However the Seahawks are desperate. He could be a cheap option if he ends up getting cut.

5) Riley Cooper (WR - Eagles)
- He's a solid 6'4 receiver with above average speed and good enough skills to be productive.

6) Arian Foster (RB - Texans)
- He's been plagued with injuries but when he is healthy he's one of the best backs in the game. His ability to cut and set up his blocks is a beauty to watch sometimes. He also provides a receiving threat out the back field as well. Foster would be the perfect compliment to go with Rawls.

7) Vincent Jackson (WR - Bucs)
- Bucs aren't in a dire cap situation but if they wanted to they would save over 9 mil in cap cutting V-Jack. If that happens then a big 6'5 wr who is still productive becomes available. I'd nab him right away.

8) Marques Colston (WR - Saints)
- Another big body wr who is reliable for jump balls and first downs.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No interest or thoughts on any of these potential free agents?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so hard to determine how much these guys actually have in the tank still. Lots of well known names but I don't know how many of them really fit our system.

Marios Williams sounds interesting if it is a very friendly deal.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the linemen interest me the most. I want to see the team take a break from adding veteran offensive skill position players for a while.

Of course, if Unger gets cut and returns, he'll probably blow an achilles getting off the plane.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want unger back, he never had much power and the drop off the lewis wasnt noticeable to me.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario Williams is intriguing, to come from that dumpster fire up there in Buffalo to Seattle could be exactly what he needs.

If Riley Cooper comes available he would be a great grab for the Hawks. Match him with Baldwin, Lockette and Graham and that is a solid receiving corp

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley Cooper? Yeah, I dunno. The whole racial episode a few years back may be tough for this region of the country to overlook. Not sure that would be a good fit in Seattle.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how I kind of think about it

Kearse or Cooper
Okung or Ferguson
Sweezy or Unger
Irvin or Williams/Peppers

I don't realy see that big of an upgrade from the current seahawk free agents. I would, in most cases, take the players that are familar with our system.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Colts foray into big name vet FA's should be a cautionary tale.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley Cooper? Yeah, I dunno. The whole racial episode a few years back may be tough for this region of the country to overlook. Not sure that would be a good fit in Seattle.

Cooper is a below avg WR. Money can be spent in better places.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario Williams would be interesting if he's asking for a fair price.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of those guys listed I think Mario Williams or Julius Peppers make the most sense.

They'll be joining a team already loaded with all pro caliber talent and depth at the D-line position which will allow them to play less snaps and stay fresh and healthy throughout the season.

Arian Foster intrigues me the most because of his ability to be a weapon as both a rusher and a receiver. He'd split time with Rawls so he wouldn't have to be the work horse. He'd be able to stay fresh throughout the year and decrease his chances of getting hurt.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want unger back, he never had much power and the drop off the lewis wasnt noticeable to me.

But he is a very good line signal caller.

I only would want Unger back on a relatively cheap deal and then only if Lewis is capabe of swinging into a OG position. No reason to bring him back if Lewis is a C and only a C.

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle should avoid all WR or TE in free agency. How many times do receivers work out on new teams? Very rarely if I recall. Maybe sign some vets for the O-line/D-line but Seattle should focus to building through the draft where this team has really excelled at.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the focus should be on the lines in free agency. They can look for anything else they might need in the draft. Let's not rule out the possibility of more trades either, although I wouldn't count on another "Holy crap! We just got 'insert big name here' for 'insert draft picks/starter here'!" type of trade. Those trades don't seem to go as planned. That said, I fully expect Graham to be ready to go on time next season and be a big part of our offense going forward. I don't think we're looking at another Percy Harvin situation here.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Kearse than Cooper, and if Richardson can play a full 16 games then he's much better anyway. I'm hoping this years injury was just a matter of him rushing himself back and next year he breaks out. The guy has a boat load of talent. We'd be set with Kearse/Baldwin/Richardson/Lockett and Graham at TE as far as receivers go.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleh, most of those guys really don't appeal to me. They are all injury prone or have lost a step. I think Williams will be looking for too high a price tag. He's 31, plays most games, and only seemed to suck in Buffalo when Rex came along. I think someone will overpay him compared to what the Hawks would pay. Schneider seems pretty frugal with money he throws at free agents. Better to target someone younger unless Williams wants to try and Super Bowl it and pulls a Bennett/Avril and comes in for $5M/1 year (which I just don't see happening).

Unlike Avril and Bennett, Schneider probably doesn't have any naked pictures of Williams and a ransom over his family.