• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post Pre-Season Game 2 QB Poll

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you be convinced? Or are you just not willing to change your mind? Let's say the Broncos go 11-6 and make the playoffs, will you say Teddy contributed or that it was just the D and we could have that record with Drew or anyone else at QB?

Somehow I'd like to see you give him a chance - but I'm not sure what it would take.
I am open. I am hoping for Teddy to be play well and lead the Broncos to 17-0 in the regular season. Do I have my doubts? Yes. I have concerns with Lock and his tendency to turn the ball over too. Time will tell.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Teddy starts 17 games this year. It’s not a matter of if Lock starts but when. They can’t keep Lock on the bench the whole season unless they’re playing above .500 ball all year. All it will take is one 2-3 game losing streak and there will be calls for Lock.

Lock’s still seen as the future of the offense, so I can see why they want to proceed with caution, especially after how Lock performed last year, but they do need to see what Drew has. Especially before next year, the last year of his rookie contract. If they can build the offense around Lock, they need to find out now.

My guess is Lock will get the whole 2nd half of the season to lead the team. Teddy will keep the team afloat, but I doubt he’ll have the team at 7-2 or 8-1 by the midpoint. And that’s about the record he’ll need if he’s going to start all year, and I just don’t see that happening.

I would be very surprised if Lock doesn’t start at all this year. He’ll get a look at some point. Just hope playoff hopes are alive late in the season, regardless of who’s starting.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos can average 3.4-4.0 or better per carry and have Bridgewater hit Jeudy out of his breaks for 7-8 yards a clip - throw in the 3rd year of Fangio defense you have a playoff team. Between Lock and Bridgewater - the key is not the QB, but the effectiveness of the Bronco run game. If the Bronco run game is effective - Bridgewater or Lock will do a lot of passing without sacks and pressures.

There is no magic formula between Lock and Bridgewater -they have both proven they will give you what we expected prior to the competition for the job.

I agree with those who say it will take both QBs this season before the end. Strangely, the competition that wasn't necessary looks pretty good if you are expecting both QBs to play during the season.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos can average 3.4-4.0 or better per carry and have Bridgewater hit Jeudy out of his breaks for 7-8 yards a clip

That definitely has to be the strategy. If Teddy is gonna have success, it’s gotta be through yards gained on first and second down. Most defenses aren’t gonna be expecting Bridgewater to take the top off the D.

Keeping the offense out of 3rd-and-long situations will get the offense moving. If we’re stuck in third and long often, it’s gonna make for a lot of punts this year. Gonna be some pressure on Gordon and Williams to pick up tough yards on early downs, but they’re tough runners so hopefully they’re ready to punch some D’s in the mouth.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That definitely has to be the strategy. If Teddy is gonna have success, it’s gotta be through yards gained on first and second down. Most defenses aren’t gonna be expecting Bridgewater to take the top off the D.

Keeping the offense out of 3rd-and-long situations will get the offense moving. If we’re stuck in third and long often, it’s gonna make for a lot of punts this year. Gonna be some pressure on Gordon and Williams to pick up tough yards on early downs, but they’re tough runners so hopefully they’re ready to punch some D’s in the mouth.

That’s where Teddy being a check down machine comes in handy. Honestly we all love the long ball but if we can pick up 5 yards on a dump off instead of a long incompletion that keeps us away from a 3rd and 10 we will be happy.

I know we all hate Tom Brady but he’s made a career of throwing it short and letting the WR/RB do the work to turn it into more. No reason Teddy can’t do that for our Offense.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s where Teddy being a check down machine comes in handy. Honestly we all love the long ball but if we can pick up 5 yards on a dump off instead of a long incompletion that keeps us away from a 3rd and 10 we will be happy.

I know we all hate Tom Brady but he’s made a career of throwing it short and letting the WR/RB do the work to turn it into more. No reason Teddy can’t do that for our Offense.

What makes that more effective is a consistent deep ball. We have Sutton and Hamler that can make those plays receiving, but the QB needs to make that play passing. And until Teddy proves he can hit those passes, defenses will be keying in on the run game and screen passes. Screen passes aren’t effective if you can’t keep the secondary honest.

It’s all up to Shurmur to call the offense to keep them in positions to succeed. It’s up to the play caller to make sure he’s maximizing the strength of the offense. If we’re stuck in long yardage situations, we’re putting Teddy in a position to fail.

The Saints were able to maximize TB strengths to the tune of 5-0 with 9 TDs and only 2 INTs from Teddy. Shurmur is no Sean Payton, but if he’s smart with what he calls, Teddy can be successful.

JuTang

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not necessarily wild about this idea but understand why Fangio chose Bridgewater. Both Bridgewater and Lock seem to perform adequately enough to get the Broncos to the playoffs this year, assuming they carry over there preseason play to the regular season.

Problem with Bridgewater is that even If he performs adequately, his contract is up and the Broncos are forced to make a decision on overpaying a mediocre quarterback.

Unless Bridgewater leads the Broncos to at least a playoff win this year, the Broncos are back to square one on whether they need to spend capital on a first-round draft pick for a QB or make a guess with Lock's development.

Complete speculation on my part but I would guess that Schumer and Paton would have preferred Lock but Fangio made the ultimate call and went with Bridgewater due to the confidence in his defense this year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s just all support Teddy! We have no control over it. Hug your close ones tonight and whisper in their ear “Go Teddy”, and sleep tight!

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not necessarily wild about this idea but understand why Fangio chose Bridgewater. Both Bridgewater and Lock seem to perform adequately enough to get the Broncos to the playoffs this year, assuming they carry over there preseason play to the regular season.

Problem with Bridgewater is that even If he performs adequately, his contract is up and the Broncos are forced to make a decision on overpaying a mediocre quarterback.

Unless Bridgewater leads the Broncos to at least a playoff win this year, the Broncos are back to square one on whether they need to spend capital on a first-round draft pick for a QB or make a guess with Lock's development.

Complete speculation on my part but I would guess that Schumer and Paton would have preferred Lock but Fangio made the ultimate call and went with Bridgewater due to the confidence in his defense this year.
Welcome, JT! We can always use more fans loyal to Denver teams.

(You know, not Lakers, Cardinals, Cubs fans!) ;)

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trevor’s 2016 stat line is the bar to beat this year.
and 2 games above .500 .
3-0 start means 7-7 the rest of the way

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kudos for Drew Lock taking the Bridgewater news like a teammate. If you are going to have two guys battle like this for the QB job - you could not have a better outcome than the team approach both have exhibited during the "competition."

Lock is now the "unCutler." He will be around the league for a while - I believe.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kudos for Drew Lock taking the Bridgewater news like a teammate. If you are going to have two guys battle like this for the QB job - you could not have a better outcome than the team approach both have exhibited during the "competition."

Lock is now the "unCutler." He will be around the league for a while - I believe.
I’ve always suspected that Lock had the mental fortitude to be successful, learning the x’s and o”s is another thing. Hopefully that switch turns on for him because he has the talent

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man, I hate to do this - but I totally agree with you! ;) Drew handled this better than I would have thought. The team told him he didn’t have to face the press, but he chose to do so. I respect that.

coloradobuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes that more effective is a consistent deep ball. We have Sutton and Hamler that can make those plays receiving, but the QB needs to make that play passing. And until Teddy proves he can hit those passes, defenses will be keying in on the run game and screen passes. Screen passes aren’t effective if you can’t keep the secondary honest.

It’s all up to Shurmur to call the offense to keep them in positions to succeed. It’s up to the play caller to make sure he’s maximizing the strength of the offense. If we’re stuck in long yardage situations, we’re putting Teddy in a position to fail.

The Saints were able to maximize TB strengths to the tune of 5-0 with 9 TDs and only 2 INTs from Teddy. Shurmur is no Sean Payton, but if he’s smart with what he calls, Teddy can be successful.
The million dollar question is, do you trust Shurmur to make those calls offensively to put Teddy in the position to maximize his strength??

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The million dollar question is, do you trust Shurmur to make those calls offensively to put Teddy in the position to maximize his strength??

Not yet. Like I said, no one is going to confuse Shurmur for Sean Payton, but he has all the weapons he needs to call a successful offense. It's up to him to maximize the talents he has. Last year was a struggle, but we did have 2 rookie receivers, our #1 WR out for most of the year, the starting QB missing a few games, and the first half of the season we were starting a traffic cone at RT.

Now that everyone is healthy and ready to play, there's no excuses. None for the players and none for the OC. It's put up or shut up time for the offense.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
elway really didn’t do any favors for Lock last year.
in his presser said he learned a lot from Teddy on how he prepares . elway thought Driscoll was the best mentor for Lock. what a joke Elway has become in terms of QBs post Manning. makes me mad to even think about it.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
elway really didn’t do any favors for Lock last year.
in his presser said he learned a lot from Teddy on how he prepares . elway thought Driscoll was the best mentor for Lock. what a joke Elway has become in terms of QBs post Manning. makes me mad to even think about it.
When you get mad just think about the three Lombardi trophy's he was very much responsible for delivering to this fan base :)

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was also a rumor out there that Elway directed that the offense push the ball downfield. That maybe is not the best way develop a young QB.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could have come down to Lock tripping on the 3 yard line. maybe the Olineman derailed his career
he even mentioned that play

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could have come down to Lock tripping on the 3 yard line. maybe the Olineman derailed his career
he even mentioned that play
There was a few things that went wrong there. Kinda looked like the exchange was not smooth, throwing the timing off, which resulted in a failed play where he had to recover a fumble.

Either way it is what it is, and now he will be given the opportunity prove himself out of the spot light, and learn from the vet QB. We will see if he gets an opportunity.