• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Possible wild card craziness

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this scenario is very very unlikely, but what happens if St Louis, Atlanta, and the Giants all end up with the same record? How is the wild card team determined? Coin flips? Round robin 1 game playoffs?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this scenario is very very unlikely, but what happens if St Louis, Atlanta, and the Giants all end up with the same record? How is the wild card team determined? Coin flips? Round robin 1 game playoffs?

As I understand it, it goes like this:

If three clubs are tied in the Wild Card standings, each club would be designated in one of three slots, "A," "B," or "C." Clubs get to choose their designation based on head-to-head records. Tiebreaking games would then proceed like this:
• Club A hosts Club B on Thurs, Sep 29
• The winner of the first game hosts Club C on Sep 30, with the winner declared champion.

Head-to-head records:
SF v. ATL -- 1-6
SF v. STL -- 5-2
STL v. ATL --5-1

overall HTH:

SF 6-8
ATL 7-6
STL 7-6

So, STL would choose first, and likely pick "C." ATL would pick second and pick "A."

SF@ATL on Thursday
STL@winner on Friday.

Rough deal; travel 2500 miles on Wednesday night to face the Braves, then 2500 miles back to face the rested Cards if we win.

If it's a two-team tie, let's hope it's the Cards and not the Braves.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My head hurts trying to work through that schedule! As of now I agree that's it's very unlikely. I'm also thinking that STL has a slight schedule advantage. I'd rather be facing CHI and HOU rather than Nats and PHI (Braves) and ARI and COL (SF). I'm guessing that we'll have to sweep to even have a slim chance. I see the ATL going 3-3, and STL going 4-2 (after beating Mets today)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My head hurts trying to work through that schedule! As of now I agree that's it's very unlikely. I'm also thinking that STL has a slight schedule advantage. I'd rather be facing CHI and HOU rather than Nats and PHI (Braves) and ARI and COL (SF). I'm guessing that we'll have to sweep to even have a slim chance. I see the ATL going 3-3, and STL going 4-2 (after beating Mets today)

We've got seven games left. Realistically, we need to go 6-1.

Possible, and I'm glad the games are still meaningful.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible, and I'm glad the games are still meaningful.

Yeah - This is a big plus for me. With all the injuries and year long lack of offense to even be in this position is amazing. To still be scoreboard watching on September 22 makes me a happy camper!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - This is a big plus for me. With all the injuries and year long lack of offense to even be in this position is amazing. To still be scoreboard watching on September 22 makes me a happy camper!

I'm amazed how we were picked to win 88-89 games preseason by most folks, and we have every shot at it...and that's WITH all the injuries. If we end up at 89 wins after all the lost time by our best players (except starting pitchers), think of how much we'd have outperformed the expectation staying reasonably healthy.

Gotta credit the management for that. Our Pythagorean expected wins has to be way below our win total based on our runs scored and allowed.

Edit: but then I think, holy fuckballs we missed the fucking playoffs! Fuck Pythagorean bullshit, 2011 SUCKED.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit: but then I think, holy fuckballs we missed the fucking playoffs! Fuck Pythagorean bullshit, 2011 SUCKED.

That's the bottom line and it is very disappointing because of the expectations I had going into the 2011 season. I clearly expected the NLDS to be us and PHI again. Just didn't seem to work out for us.

But I am glad that we are still alive on September 22 and these next 7 games will mean something. I have to give props to management for getting us this far so late in the game. We could have folded up shop somewhere in late July or early August but we didn't. I also have to be honest that if anyone was to take us out I'm glad it looks like the DBacks. They remind me of us in 2010. Everyone kept on saying that they would fold. Didn't have the staff etc etc. If it is them I hope they follow in our foot steps and they also leave Howard with his bat on his shoulder for the final out!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm amazed how we were picked to win 88-89 games preseason by most folks, and we have every shot at it...and that's WITH all the injuries. If we end up at 89 wins after all the lost time by our best players (except starting pitchers), think of how much we'd have outperformed the expectation staying reasonably healthy.

Gotta credit the management for that. Our Pythagorean expected wins has to be way below our win total based on our runs scored and allowed.

It is still infuriating to be talking to cocky F'n doggie or Philth fans who look the standings and say "I knew the Giants weren't going to repeat. They were such a fluke last year and I knew they were only going to have 88 wins or so ANDHave a pitiful offense".

While they were technically correct about the record and offense, it took historic amounts of injuries to get there.

What an absolutely horrid tasting, unfair, piece of crow that is to eat from rival fans.

At least we can always polish our rings as a quick retort to them, though. :)

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is still infuriating to be talking to cocky F'n doggie or Philth fans who look the standings and say "I knew the Giants weren't going to repeat. They were such a fluke last year and I knew they were only going to have 88 wins or so ANDHave a pitiful offense".

While they were technically correct about the record and offense, it took historic amounts of injuries to get there.

What an absolutely horrid tasting, unfair, piece of crow that is to eat from rival fans.

too true, cal.

I also got an earful from A's fans of all peoples. The word "fluke" was repeatedly used in the conversations.

Currently applying the "F*ck those guys" phrase to d-bags, philty, and A'ss fans.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Metsies with 6 BIG ones in the 9th to lead 8-6 over teh Cards..

NEVER give up.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I understand it, it goes like this:

If three clubs are tied in the Wild Card standings, each club would be designated in one of three slots, "A," "B," or "C." Clubs get to choose their designation based on head-to-head records. Tiebreaking games would then proceed like this:
• Club A hosts Club B on Thurs, Sep 29
• The winner of the first game hosts Club C on Sep 30, with the winner declared champion.

Head-to-head records:
SF v. ATL -- 1-6
SF v. STL -- 5-2
STL v. ATL --5-1

overall HTH:

SF 6-8
ATL 7-6
STL 7-6

So, STL would choose first, and likely pick "C." ATL would pick second and pick "A."

SF@ATL on Thursday
STL@winner on Friday.

Rough deal; travel 2500 miles on Wednesday night to face the Braves, then 2500 miles back to face the rested Cards if we win.

If it's a two-team tie, let's hope it's the Cards and not the Braves.

From Baggs today:

If the Giants, Braves and Cardinals all tie for the wild card, we’re in that fun, Team A, B and C merry-go-round. I’ll spare you the details unless it looks like it really will matter. Just know that the Giants have the worst head-to-head record among those three clubs, so they almost certainly would be stuck with the Team B designation — needing to win a road game on the 29th and then a home game on the 30th to enter the postseason. But we’re a long way away from any of that information being relevant.

I would rep myself if I could. Only question is: is Baggs reading the board before blogging???:suspicious::suspicious:

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At least we won't see this for a while:

trophy.jpg

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Baggs today:

If the Giants, Braves and Cardinals all tie for the wild card, we***8217;re in that fun, Team A, B and C merry-go-round. I***8217;ll spare you the details unless it looks like it really will matter. Just know that the Giants have the worst head-to-head record among those three clubs, so they almost certainly would be stuck with the Team B designation ***8212; needing to win a road game on the 29th and then a home game on the 30th to enter the postseason. But we***8217;re a long way away from any of that information being relevant.

I would rep myself if I could. Only question is: is Baggs reading the board before blogging???:suspicious::suspicious:

Repped. Baggs gets his good stuff here. TZill ought to get royalties.

And bring him Susac!

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bravos are choking so hard right now.:L

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bravos are choking so hard right now.:L

You guys HAVE to make it. I have nothing against the redbirds, but I really want you guys to collect your karma royalty check from last year. All of us Giant fans owe you guys a debt of gratitude, and I plan on paying up while rooting for you next month.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys HAVE to make it. I have nothing against the redbirds, but I really want you guys to collect your karma royalty check from last year. All of us Giant fans owe you guys a debt of gratitude, and I plan on paying up while rooting for you next month.

You ain't gonna be rooting for the Dbacks? :pout:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. In order of preference for the pennant:

1. Braves
2. Snakes
3. Brewers
4. Philth

For me it's:

1. Brewers
2. Snakes
3. Braves

1000. Phillies

In the AL it's:

1. Tigers
2. Rangers

100. Red Sox (I don't think Tampa gets in but if they do they are 2nd)
1000. Yankees

Thought experiment: which matchup (Rays excluded) would have the worst ratings? I'd say Brewers/Tigers or Dbags/Tigers