• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Poor Gundy

kap1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU Sports: If stress could be measured, Gundy might bury the needle - Tulsa World: Blogs

For decades, Oklahoma State football coaches and reporters have gotten together for discussions of players, injuries, strategy and match-ups.
Now, apparently, those subjects are taboo.

On Monday, media members drove to Stillwater from all over the state, expecting to write and report on the upcoming Bedlam football game. One obvious storyline is that this will be Mike Gundy’s 24th OSU-OU game, meaning that he has been a Bedlam participant in more than half of the years of his life.
Instead, the Gundy news conference was the story. From the moment he walked into the room, the Oklahoma State coach seemed as though he wanted to be anywhere else. On a couple of occasions, he appeared to be texting as he stood at the lecturn.

If there were a device that could measure stress, Gundy would have buried the needle. I’ve covered more than 220 Gundy news conferences. There were times when he wasn’t very excited to be there, and there was one time – during the 2007 “I’m a man! I’m 40!” news conference – when he overheated. Monday was different. I’ve never seen him like he was on Monday.

When he chooses to be, Gundy can be insightful and refreshingly candid. On Monday, there were questions about his personal Bedlam history, about his 1986 encounter with OU’s Brian Bosworth, about OSU’s Mason Rudolph-Daxx Garman quarterback situation, about OU’s Samaje Perine and about the TCU-Baylor College Football Playoff debate. Gundy didn’t seem interested in discussing any of it.

I believe that 98 percent of the Gundy stress centers on his issues with Boone Pickens. Their relationship now is commonly described as being “a feud.” I’m sure some of the Gundy tension is related to the current performance of his team. Since OSU beat Baylor last year – in a performance that was as complete as there’s ever been by any Gundy team – the Cowboys are 5-8. In its last seven meetings with ranked opponents, OSU is winless.

Bob Stoops really doesn’t have to market the OU program. For every home game of his 16-year run as the Sooner coach, there has been a sellout. In Stillwater, Gundy has the responsibility of marketing every day of the year. Every time he’s in front of a camera, he has a chance to sell himself and his program. What happened on Monday was not effective marketing. Season-ticket sales dropped 10 percent this year. What happens if OSU fans are discouraged about the direction of the program and the demeanor of the head coach?

With the possible exceptions of Texas coach David McWilliams in 1991 and OU’s Gary Gibbs in 1994, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a coach seem as stressed as Mike Gundy seems to be now.

kap1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not 40 anymore.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...24 Bedlam appearances.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Gundy keeps getting screwed over at OK St.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Gundy keeps getting screwed over at OK St.

Yup. Weak fan base. Without Boone Pickens, Okie jr would have ghetto as hell facilities. I feel bad for Jr when he dies. Endowment might be worth 5 bucks after that

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What an asshole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Gundy is taking cues from Lane Kiffin's treatment of the media and it won't work out well for him either.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he's got a great retirement account. And lots of health and life insurance.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gundy is punk ass little bitch.
Gets a little heat an his asshole puckers up. and pouts like a kid.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched his presser yesterday to see what everyone was taking about. He just looks tired and worn out to me. Maybe he is sick? I did laugh at the comment he made about Perine not being well coached(Cale Gundy).

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got no axe to grind for Mike Gundy. Not even a little bit. But T. Boone Pickens is a real piece of shit. He destroyed 1,000's of lives with his corporate raiding of Cities Service, Gulf Oil, Phillips Petroleum and Unocal. I'm surprised someone never shot the SOB in Oklahoma for all the harm he did to Oklahoma families with his incessant destruction of their jobs. I'm all for capitalism (best system in the world) but Pickens is a sorry ass greedhead who has hurt a LOT of people during his lifetime.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got no axe to grind for Mike Gundy. Not even a little bit. But T. Boone Pickens is a real piece of shit. He destroyed 1,000's of lives with his corporate raiding of Cities Service, Gulf Oil, Phillips Petroleum and Unocal. I'm surprised someone never shot the SOB in Oklahoma for all the harm he did to Oklahoma families with his incessant destruction of their jobs. I'm all for capitalism (best system in the world) but Pickens is a sorry ass greedhead who has hurt a LOT of people during his lifetime.

"Greed is good"

- G. Gecko

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Gundy...no lobbying for a NCG berth motherfucker....

Archangel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Weak fan base. Without Boone Pickens, Okie jr would have ghetto as hell facilities. I feel bad for Jr when he dies. Endowment might be worth 5 bucks after that

Eat shit...Outrecruited and always beaten by OU...common ground? your oil money doesn't give you any moral high ground and it doesn't make your big state school Harvard...fucking wannabe UC Berkeley in a wannabe San Francisco